"I'm buying an Android Tablet to Game with Ren'Py" thread.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

"I'm buying an Android Tablet to Game with Ren'Py" thread.

#1 Post by DaFool »

Anyone else only getting into the tablet market now, just to make or play games with renpy? Let me start...

I kinda gave up on Samsung since with the local price I can buy a Nintendo3DS AND a PS Vita when all I wanted was a target device with wifi and access to Android Marketplace.

So I started searching again for something much cheaper and saw this:

http://www.cherrymobile.com.ph/products ... -pad-turbo
Cherry Pad Turbo
Gingerbread 2.3
1.2Ghz
7 inch
Will it run renpy games and can i develop renpy games using it? Verdict to follow within a week.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: "I'm buying an Android Tablet to Game with Ren'Py" threa

#2 Post by LVUER »

I'm also interested in getting a tablet. I'm waiting for an expo which I could get the latest tablet at "slightly" cheaper price. RenPy is not my first concern when buying a tablet (android) though if I do buy one then I will use it to make (and play) android RenPy games ;P

Don't compare tablet with 3DS and Vita, obviously a famous brand tablet will be at the same or even higher price compared with those two (that's why tablet/android is also said as handheld console games killer). But look also at the game library and 3D capability.

Don't buy famous brand tablet since they are expensive. Samsung is one of them. Acer is an exception since they are famous for being cheap (not that kind of cheap... well, you know what I mean). My plan is to buy Huawei Mediapad (a Chinese brand). It doesn't use NVidia Tegra so it's 3D capabilities suffers a bit. Oh well, you can't get them all... In the end, I'm going just buy whatever tablet that suit my needs and budget in the expo.

Just never forget that you get what you pay.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Uh... I know Renpytom doesn't recommend this but have you tried emulation first for testing purposes?...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553366

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#4 Post by KomiTsuku »

I bought a Samsung tablet a while back. I haven't really had much use of it, but I think this will be a pretty good test for it. It's nice, but... I prefer using my laptop of doom over the tablet.

AxemRed
Veteran

#5 Post by AxemRed »

mugenjohncel wrote:Uh... I know Renpytom doesn't recommend this but have you tried emulation first for testing purposes?...
Ren'Py requires OpenGL ES 2.0, the emulator only does 1.1 (using software rendering)

dorne
Regular

#6 Post by dorne »

mugenjohncel wrote:Uh... I know Renpytom doesn't recommend this but have you tried emulation first for testing purposes?...
I believe if you have an android device already you can develop on that. I never really liked using the emulator when I dabbled on it because it was too slow for my taste.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#7 Post by jack_norton »

I'm going to get this:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... mer_TF101/
(without the keyboard though since I will use it mainly only to test Android games!)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#8 Post by sake-bento »

I have a super cheap Android tablet already, but the hardware is so slow it can't handle Ren'py (or most apps). It's basically a glorified reader. I am seriously considering getting an Android phone (and on that note, suggestions are welcome), and Ren'py is one of the reasons. Most people who play my games have been asking for portable versions, so it feels like the logical next step.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

jack_norton wrote:I'm going to get this:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... mer_TF101/
(without the keyboard though since I will use it mainly only to test Android games!)
My cosign has that tablet and I got to try it the other day. It's really cool, and the 3D looks really nice on it! i don't know if he'd let me install a Ren'Py game for testing purposes there, but I may ask him the next time I see him (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by jack_norton »

sake-bento wrote:I am seriously considering getting an Android phone (and on that note, suggestions are welcome), and Ren'py is one of the reasons. Most people who play my games have been asking for portable versions, so it feels like the logical next step.
I was undecided if to get a tablet or a phone too, but I really think phones have a screen size too small to play any game in a decent way, so I opted for the tablet :)
computer games

LVUER
King of Lolies

#11 Post by LVUER »

@Jack_norton:
Eee transformer without the keyboard? That's kinda beat the purpose of buying transformer series, isn't it?

@Deji:
The 3d looks nice because it uses NVidia Tegra 2. But almost all latest honeycomb tablet also uses Tegra, so their 3d capabilities should be more or less the same.

Well, for those who play 3d games on their tablet, just be sure to always keep out your tablet battery and temperature. Playing GTA3 on a tablet eats your battery extremely fast and cook your tablet... Literaly.
Last edited by LVUER on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SusanTheCat »

Playing Ren'Py was one of the considerations when I got my tablet.

I bought a Craig tablet and it is _able_ to run my Ren'Py games. (Not stellarly fast, but able to run)

If anyone wants me to test their games, let me know!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#13 Post by kaleidofish »

I got a 7 inch, Android 2.3 tablet from China for Christmas. It's cheap, but doesn't have problems running any apps of mine (some of which include casual games like Abduction! and Fruit Slice). I think its resolution is at 800X480.

I've also had an Android cellphone since 2010 - an HTC Hero. I'll be getting a new one (also an Android phone from Sprint) this summer or sooner, though, because of the many problems I've had with it over the years. It's running on 2.1, and has a tendency to lag badly on data-intensive applications.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by jack_norton »

LVUER wrote:@Jack_norton:
Eee transformer without the keyboard? That's kinda beat the purpose of buying transformer series, isn't it?
Well I'm buying it because is a good brand (Asus) but not because of the keyboard. I wouldn't use it anyway, I want to use it as a "standard" Android device.
To be honest I haven't ordered it yet, but I can't find anything better for same price/quality ratio (if you have any suggestions...)
computer games

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps you want to try Acer Iconia series or Huawai Mediapad? From what I read, both of them are pretty good. Well, EEE Transformers is also good, but not using the keyboard is definitely a waste since:
1. It adds the price.
2. It adds some additional nifty features.
3. It adds the battery time.
So you'd better spend the money on other tablet if you're going to never use the keyboard.

I want to say Samsung Galaxy series... but the data connection/port sucks so I can't recommend it.

DeviantArt Account