NaNoReNo 2012

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: NaNoReNo 2012

#76 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

CheeryMoya wrote:Also, how much progress has everyone made so far? I see games with loads of characters and lots of wordcount already, and I think to myself, "They either have too much free time or are demons to be working that fast!" Ugh...
Long weekend? I work full time so it's going to be harder to get this last sprite done. But I have to have him done by Thursday since I've split up my workload as 1 week of sprites, 1 week of backgrounds, 2 weeks of CG (and possibly) effects. I thought I would really struggle getting the sprites done this fast, but it hasn't been too bad. Granted they aren't as nice and tidy and detailed as usual, but oh well.

Good luck everyone! There are so many interesting projects, I was really surprised to see so many :D Whoo!

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#77 Post by Kura »

It definitely is impressive how many people are participating, and how much people have gotten done so far! But don't forget--especially if you're worrying about your progress in comparison to some of the WIPs posted--there's also some people who are still starting out and haven't even posted a thread yet. For instance, Caro and I don't even have a name for our VN yet and we're still in 'sketching' phases of production. And I saw someone else say they're working on something but aren't posting about it until they have more progress to show. So don't think you're alone in still having a long way to go, haha.

But that's the awesome thing about NaNoRenO--seeing everybody else's progress is an awesome inspiration and motivation to keep moving along with mine.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#78 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

...sure, I'll throw my hat into this ring: I have a decent shot at completing the first week of The World Ends With You, Too: Lightning Rook Boogaloo HeadSpace: The Mask Of Joy and a polished Bliss Stage demo. HeadSpace is my own thing: Bliss Stage is going to be Perpetual Motion Games.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#79 Post by Anna »

CheeryMoya wrote:Also, how much progress has everyone made so far? I see games with loads of characters and lots of wordcount already, and I think to myself, "They either have too much free time or are demons to be working that fast!" Ugh...
Hahaha, I'm a full-time student too. As for progress; I've yet to draw a sprite, because I want to finish the script first. So far I have around 4000 words and it's pretty good, but... it's only the prologue + common route, while the VN has three routes ;_;~ My deadline is Friday.

Must...write...quicker...!

sinister-sheriff
Projects: limits of Gravitation

#80 Post by sinister-sheriff »

Wow everyone has so much done lol, I just heard bout this a few days ago so hopefully i can catch up soon. I got all my resource now so i'm just gonna try write it now. It's nice to see that i'm not the only one doing it alone ^^.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#81 Post by SusanTheCat »

For me, I rather have them during the winter because during the summer I want to be outdoors.

Susan
Canadian
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#82 Post by kaleidofish »

CheeryMoya wrote: Also, how much progress has everyone made so far? I see games with loads of characters and lots of wordcount already, and I think to myself, "They either have too much free time or are demons to be working that fast!" Ugh...
I'm someone who hasn't posted up a thread yet, mainly because I still need to name it and it needs some more artwork finished. As for progress, I'm swimming along. I try to get at least a little bit of something done, no matter how tired I might be. I'm kind of in a planning/writing (I code as I write) stage, with my main menu drawn and finished and that's it. This March is actually a terrible time for me to do all of this because of final exams, but I do have spring break at this end of the month so I'll have at least a week to dedicate more time to finishing my project.

Nothing's stopping anyone from declaring their own one-month visual novel project over the summer, if they want to. Personally, I like saving whatever free time I can get in the summer for my more "major" projects. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by CheeryMoya »

Anna wrote: So far I have around 4000 words and it's pretty good, but... it's only the prologue + common route, while the VN has three routes ;_;~
*head asplode*
THIS is what I'm talking about OTL I hardly have a bit under 1k words at this time ;-; My excuse shall be that it's a smaller game. Maybe it's because I'm only laying down the bare bones script right now, so I will add more filler text after I get through what I absolutely need. Juggling reviewing some coding tutorials and IRL studies, and you get a very frustrated turtle >:C

In other news, I'm still waiting for TWCC's art to catch up with the rest of our progress. Damn writer's block on my main project...

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#84 Post by Anna »

CheeryMoya wrote:*head asplode*
THIS is what I'm talking about OTL I hardly have a bit under 1k words at this time ;-; My excuse shall be that it's a smaller game. Maybe it's because I'm only laying down the bare bones script right now, so I will add more filler text after I get through what I absolutely need.
Awww, don't feel bad. I already laid down the bare bones by making a flow chart and summary of each route, so this is the final script I'm working on. It will be edited, but I doubt the word-count will increase much from that. Also there are various choices in the common route, so playing through it will hardly take much time at all.

Now, next mission; convince my coder of the super simplistic battle-system I incorporated >_>;;;... oh boy. I'll write down the resources I need for those and convince myself first though.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#85 Post by Camille »

CheeryMoya wrote:I see games with loads of characters and lots of wordcount already, and I think to myself, "They either have too much free time or are demons to be working that fast!" Ugh...
XD Like me and my 12,000 word count? I planned out a lot of the script in the week or two before NaNoRenO started. A good strategy for NaNoWriMo was always to lay the groundwork down beforehand--any planning you can--so that once the month starts, you can dedicate more of your time to just writing the novel itself. Because I knew I'd also have to program, coordinate music, and do all that other non-art stuff, I tried to plan out more of our story so that I'd have lots of room for errors and sudden visits from relatives and whatnot... Not finishing our game is not an option for me. ^^;

And then I figured out a ballpark estimate for how many words our script would require in total... After that, I made a promise to myself to write at least 2,000 words a day. Even when I got home from class at 10PM or back from hanging out with my friends after midnight, I still had to write my 2k before going to sleep. On Saturday I got really inspired and wrote 7,000 words in one day, though, so it gave me some padding. Good thing, too, because I hardly wrote anything yesterday due to lack of inspiration. D:

Anyway... PLANNING. DO LOTS OF IT. I have very little free time, actually... I am a full-time (psychology/neuroscience) university student and most days I don't even get home until 6PM at the earliest. I still have to study, go to the gym, cook meals, and do other stuff, I just optimize the time I do have so that I can write or program more. XD

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#86 Post by CheeryMoya »

^Prime example of the demon I was talking about :C I had the story all planned out the week before NaNo, but high school and AP classes insist on giving me more tests and homework lately. Every time I set out to do something worthwhile, other things seem to get in the way. No wonder I never do anything. Luckily I aimed small with my NaNo, so there's a good chance I'll at least have "something" by the time this ends...

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#87 Post by Anna »

Camille... I'm going to make you my writing rival for nanoreno, because you keep a good pace XD. I don't have class tomorrow, so I'll catch up to you with an all-nighter! *self-motivation techniques go!*

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#88 Post by Camille »

XD My pace is only possible because a diagram of my life looks something like this:

I average about 4 hours of sleep a night. I think I have more coffee in my veins than blood on some days. @_@ Not sure I'd recommend it! But yay for catching up! XD I still have about 500 words to go before I meet my goal for today, though I kind of want to just keep writing and finish off the entire route since I've already made it 75% through... Beware: I get fired up/competitive pretty easily, so making me your rival might just make me write faster. xD

But arghhh I remember how annoying AP classes were. (now I feel old) Your grades in high school are important, so prioritizing them over VN work sounds pretty logical to me. xD I hope you can still finish your NaNoRenO project, though! It's good that you're aiming small--it's best to do something you know you'll be able to finish within the month.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#89 Post by VenusEclipse »

As long as more than half the NaNoReNo projects in that other board get done, I'll be happily playing them in April.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#90 Post by Anna »

Camille wrote:I average about 4 hours of sleep a night. I think I have more coffee in my veins than blood on some days. @_@ Not sure I'd recommend it! But yay for catching up! XD I still have about 500 words to go before I meet my goal for today, though I kind of want to just keep writing and finish off the entire route since I've already made it 75% through...
Ahaha, your schedule looks like mine during busy periods, but I drink orange juice and green ice tea instead of coffee.
Camille wrote:Beware: I get fired up/competitive pretty easily, so making me your rival might just make me write faster. xD
Bring it on >:3! The only problem I foresee is that my script is going to be much smaller than yours haha, but we'll see. current word-count: 6000