Progressive Reality

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Matt_D
Regular

Progressive Reality

#1 Post by Matt_D »

Well I started, this demo only covers the first two scenes (so not much at all, like 5 minutes if you're really really slow) anyway blah

These two scenes are kintetic, it is as much me getting used to the basics as it is making my initial commitment to making the VN.

This is tiny start was done using 5.6.3

http://www.strawberry-crush.co.uk/Progr ... eality.zip

Anyway I already have my own grrs about it, namely accidently skipping bits and other bits being slow and the jump from normal graphics to kana mode alpha layer is a bit woah sudden. *shrugs* expect updates (but not many this weekend I have to go out tshh ¬.¬ infact I should of left 20 minutes ago darn these out type people)

caio

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Progressive Reality

#2 Post by Jake »

Matt_D wrote:Anyway I already have my own grrs about it, namely accidently skipping bits and other bits being slow
These are my initial reaction, too - I can't form an opinion of the story parts because I spent too much of my attention fighting to read it at my own pace to concentrate on it, really. I would finish a line, wait for the next one, give up, click to skip just as the game advanced to the next block and get two paragraphs to read, then have to scroll back to catch the second one after the whole screen cleared for the next text. So yeah, my advice would be to take out all of the timings and let the player click to advance at their own pace. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

The constant interspersing of centered text with NVL text is a very nice touch.

Just a suggestion: shrink the font, and since you're not using direct character dialogue, you can get rid of most of the left margin.

Matt_D
Regular

#4 Post by Matt_D »

Yeah I'm turning off the auto read (yay my mate has wireless) and I'll get about figuring out font size. Cheers.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

There were only two minor issues: You used \\ instead of / to separate directory components, and you named the files 001.JPG rather then 001.jpg. These interfered with running the game on Linux... but they're real easy to fix.

Just FY!.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Matt_D
Regular

#6 Post by Matt_D »

woosh faffed with the left justification, replaced the centre screen bit with Jakes code, fixed the file extensions (that was spawned by my problems documented in my silly mistakes), fixed the slashes, played with the fonts.

Matt_D
Regular

#7 Post by Matt_D »

Heh done upto scene 6 in the few hours free I've had today. Next update I do all be once I finish chapter one.

Also noticed that I hadn't told my file host to replace files that were already there, ooops.

Erck however since uploading that last one I've changed the window shade so the font is easier to read, I think it's set to #0007 in the current build

Code: Select all

$ style.nvl_window.background = "#000a"
Anyway thoughts on pacing graphics, text, all eagerly sought.

Matt_D
Regular

#8 Post by Matt_D »

*yawns loudly*
Just so nobody thinks I've been ignoring my obligation to my beloved story.

I just finished drawing chapter 1 so it's now full but I shaln't be demoing it, seen as I may aswell wait until the whole things done + musak.

But as a summary chapter 1 is about 30% of the whole story, 7,400 words out of about 25,000. There are 16 fullscreen images and 13 slim images. the 2nd chapter takes up another 40% with the last 3 chapters making up the rest. *yawns* Chapter two will be a real slog.

Also at the same time I've edited the origonal manuscript. So it's overall a better product.

I've included a few pic examples.

Be cool.
Attachments
Beth, Uli and Joshua meet at random.
Beth, Uli and Joshua meet at random.
Dark Tech night club
Dark Tech night club