Magical Girl: Smith-Lords of the Grey Mountain
Ver. 0.01a Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?vsej7j1zetzc1xw
I/ What is SLotGM?
Magical Girl: Smith-Lords of the Grey Mountain is an experimental RPG idea I have been entertaining and working on over the past month. The goal of this project is multiple: To acquaint myself more with the engine, to learn more about advanced functions and definitions, to create a character-based visual novel where you can quite literally design your main character's personality, to fulfill my childhood dream of creating a complex item crafting and trading system and, last but not least, to cram as many shout-outs as I humanly can into a visual novel script.
II/ Current features:
Since I am no artist and probably am not going to find any for a long, long time, my work is currently devoid of all art and music (or romance, for that matter, but that is neither here nor there). I make up for that by a number of features:
- A detailed, complex crafting system inspired heavily by Wurm Online, Rune Factory and TES V:Skyrim.
- Over 100 items (at the moment)
- Over 200 recipes (also at the moment)
- A functional inventory and trading system.
- A basic turn-based combat system. Alas, without any animation.
- A character creation system fully integrated into the narrative.
- A system of traits and perks gained from gameplay and impact on the player character in significant manners.
- A macro "dungeon crawl" system where loot, enemy encountered and ores mined are calculated randomly based on character level and dungeon type.
- Tons and tons of shout-outs and references, including but not limited to: The Elder Scrolls, Mount and Blade, Dungeons of Dredmor, Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, Dungeons and Dragon, Warhammer, Penny Arcade, Recettear, Clannad, Kanon, K-On, Lucky Star, Hidamari Sketch, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and actual research on the history of metallurgy and Anglo-Saxon culture and language. Can you find them all?
The demo version, unfortunately, can't showcase all of these features owing to narrative reasons. Furthermore, a number of these features are still under heavy playtesting and cannot be included just yet.
You are Natsuki (First name changeable) Tsurumiya, a 17-year-old girl who had had a most interesting life. When you were 16, you achieved what many other girls consider a dream - to become a magical girl and defend the world against an encroaching shadow from beyond.
Unfortunately, you failed.
You were sent into a time-space rift, destined to float around in the darkness for all eternity. Fortunately, you ran across a mysterious 'Scryer', who convinced you that all is not lost, that your talent can be of use elsewhere. She opened a portal for you, leading into an alternative dimension and told you to make your fortune there in order to alter your fate.
This world is currently being torn apart in a bitter war between two ex-allies, the Kingdom of Gunther and the Kingdom of Aorl. Traveling and business is dangerous for those unaligned with either faction. You land on top of the Grey Ridge, a massive mountain spire littered with ore and game of both docile and dangerous variant. The only other contact you have is an arrogant dwarf, Buji Shale-Sleight, a so-called Smith-Lord of the North. The dwarf agrees to let you stay in his establishment - a rather well-fortified metal shop, on one condition: You work for him as an assistant hammer/mining hand.
From this humble beginning, you are to impress either the Elder Council and knighthood orders of Gunther or the Brytenwalda of Aorl, forge a name for yourself, discover the secrets of the Smith-Lords of the North, and return to Earth to vanquish the evil you have failed to before, armed with dwarven fire and sword.
- For version 0.01, do not pick any forging option other than "Copper". This is because all other materials lead to empty labels. Until the item system is stable, I will concentrate solely on copper items.
- This demo version is not (yet) meant to be a showcase of all available features.
- Depending on your character creation choice, dialogue will be slightly different. Can you spot all the differences?
V/ "I want to help!"
I always need more artists, both for background, sprites and GUI. If you like the premise, like the gameplay, like the direction I want this project to head to and wish to volunteer, I'd gladly welcome you aboard.