Perfect ending even with dead MC?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

Perfect ending even with dead MC?

#1 Post by Destiny »

I just asked myself today a question I would love to hear the thoughts of others about...

In my art I normally let the MC always live/survive and live happily ever after.
In my novels on the other side I am often cruel, killing the MC or at least let him suffer horribly, BUT still produce a good ending around it.
For example, in one novel the MC survives but accidentily causes the death of his beloved, his father and about 60% of his people.
But at the end, he just lays on the grass between the (preserved) bodys/corpses of his father and beloved and is at peace with the world while in thought silently talking to them (without getting an answer).
In another novel the MC has a lethal sickness and he searches the whole novel for healing. At the end he is simply able to stop the sickness progressing, but is not healed. But he accepts it since he is still able to play with his friends a little longer even though he knows his death is only being delayed.

Both would normally be considered a bad or at least normal ending, since the MC isn't "really happy".
The perfect ending would be suggested as "safes his beloved and father from dying" or "finding a healing" and my endings would just be something below that.

But is it really THAT easy?
I'm thinking about a VN idea where the normal/bad endings are where the MC lives in the end, staying oblivious to his fate or even choosing to survive and sending everyone sooner or later to hell because of it.
And where the perfect ending would be that the MC sacrifices himself for the sake of the others. Forever leaving the world, never being resurrected. BUT with everyone else surviving.
I personally like those endings, but I remember the reactions on the ending from the X1999 anime series where a whole bulk of people were literally horrified to see the MC die without ever living again (like in those fairytale stories where a "kiss of love" or "a last wish" or something magically makes the death void).

Could you accept a story, where the most perfect ending means that you - as the player - will have to choose the MC getting killed/dying for good?
Last edited by Destiny on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Perfect ending even with dead MC?

#2 Post by Hijiri »

I could accept that sort of ending, mostly since I've read stories where that happens. The famously known heroic sacrifice
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Ever heard of Hatoful Boyfriend?
deviantART
---------------------

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Of course. I mean, that pretty much happens in The Dreaming, though, the MC technically still lives on within another character, and I thought that game was great. Another game that did it well is Final Fantasy X, which has quite the bittersweet ending.

I think, overall, endings should be powerful, and have a lasting effect on the player. If that means the character must sacrifice themselves in order to ensure the future is bright, then by all means. After all, no matter how much you believe in yourself, no matter how hard you try, no matter who stands by your side, the future is wholly unpredictable, and not everything can work out perfectly. Gamers in particular have a hard time with this, because it seems like you should be able to have a perfect ending. If you're a total completionist, and you go above and beyond in-game, you only deserve a reward for it, don't you? If you do your best, you should be able to prevent tragedy from striking, shouldn't you?

Alas, that is not how life works, and sometimes reminding the player of the cold hard facts of reality can deliver the most poignant of messages.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#5 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

I think some stories must end just the way they should.
What I try to say is that sometimes the story is beyond the MC, and if He/She must die for a proper conclusion, so be it.

@Victoria Jennings:

Was a spoiler really necessary? (I'm about to play The Dreaming T_T)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Kuroneko_rg wrote:Was a spoiler really necessary? (I'm about to play The Dreaming T_T)
I'm sorry, the spoiler tag was acting glitchy, so I tried my best. D:

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#7 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Well, nothing can surpasses that xxxxxx who told me end of School Days, so I'm not mad.

Off topic mode: Deactivated.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#8 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I don't mind. a story where the MC dies can make a beautiful ending
;u;

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#9 Post by Stripe »

Persona 3 immediately comes to mind...
I am perfectly alright with that kind of ending if it's meaningful :D

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#10 Post by Sharm »

It's not that that sort of ending is bad, it's that it's really hard. With a happy sappy ending it isn't hard to make people happy, but you can't coast on an ending like this. Still, sounds like you've got experience.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I love heroic endings *u* One of my favourite books ends like that. I find self sacrifice to be rather more appealing than total tradgey, but they can both be a really good way to end the story.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#12 Post by ShippoK »

I can definitely see some of the good and bad for a dead MC ending. These endings aren't too bad, gives that sad but touching feeling for the MC who went so far to save the world/girl/family they love so much and sacrifice them self for it/them. His/hers close one will always remember their death as well, maybe become a legend for future tales to be told!

It's when the MC has suffered through the whole game with no reward or encourage from the people/misfortunes around him. He dies, but no one gives a monkey's about their sacrifice/death. Or heck, make things worse for everyone from their death, now that's just heartbreaking!

So... It really does depend, but dead MC endings are a pretty unique thing to have.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

yu1988
Regular
Projects: avan story
Organization: anigu

#13 Post by yu1988 »

I don't go against it as long as that MC will have the meaningful death.

And a meaningful death to me doesn't involve with his death for his new girlfriend... Since it's quite typical...
Family, country, ideal seem to be better, at least for me.
Our game : Image
Visit our blog and twitter to get updates.

Dim Sum
Regular

#14 Post by Dim Sum »

Sharm wrote:It's not that that sort of ending is bad, it's that it's really hard. With a happy sappy ending it isn't hard to make people happy, but you can't coast on an ending like this. Still, sounds like you've got experience.
This.^

Most (ugh) perfect ending I've seen is where it's left ambiguous.

Final Fantasy X + X-2 true ending anyone?

...but people seem to eat it up.

Me? I'd rather have perfect route. Continue the story showing how the characters suffered and cope through missing the MC. I'm a guy but I'm a sucker for that. Screw the ending. End it with route! End it with route!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Then Shadow Hearts + Shadow Hearts 2 would be a good example. Well, it's not exactly the MC/protagonist, but it's close enough, right?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW