Ib [Horror Adventure Game on RPG Maker]

For the rest of your otaku life.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Ib [Horror Adventure Game on RPG Maker]

#1 Post by CheeryMoya »

A young girl named Ib visits an art gallery with her parents.
While observing the many exhibits, she suddenly realizes she is alone.
And in her search for others, she finds things awry in the gallery...

The game is focused on exploration and puzzle-solving.
There are no battles, and it does not demand quick reflexes.
It's designed to be accessible to all kinds of players, so enjoy.
~~~~
Ib is a game made by kouri (and translated into English by vgperson) in RPG Maker 2000 that should take you about 2-3 hours on your first playthrough, assuming you don't get any game overs, freak out, or get lost entirely. There are a total of 4 endings, all of which are determined by the choices you make in the game and how your relationship is with two other characters. BTW, don't be intimidated by the whole "art museum" thing; the game doesn't focus on your knowledge of art and everything in the exhibit is by a fictional artist named Guertena. In the game, Guertena is a talented artist whose painting and sculptures span different periods of styles, so there's got to be at least one thing by him that'll appeal to you.

I was playing this (in broad daylight) while my sister was watching, so she gave me a lot of clues about how to get through one part and where to go next. Also she told me when all the scary things would happen, so maybe I didn't get the full effect of the horror elements? IDK, I had to take a break before I went into the bunny room Q_Q The atmosphere in this game is more unsettling creepy than it is outright scary, but there's a lot of Fridge Horror. I seriously stayed up all night trying to fend off nightmares from this game ;A;

That said, I'm recommending this game to everyone and that's why I'm sharing :3 I've only seen 3 of 4 endings so far but I had the feeling that the story didn't quite tie up all the loose ends; despite that, I got really attached to one of the characters and terrified of the other, and it was quite the experience :'D I wouldn't say it's quite on the level of Yume Nikki, but I still think you all should give it a try if you can. I'd rate the game 7.5 out of 10.

Pro-tips: Have a pencil and paper around while you're playing so you can write down clues to the puzzles. Also, it should be fairly obvious when you have to run from something. Blue vases never run out of water, and gray vases are one-use only. And beware the Ladies.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ib [Horror Adventure Game on RPG Maker]

#2 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Ib is great, no matter where she goes~

I wish I could play this game, but since it's made in RPG Maker and I"m running a Mac, it's a no go. However, there's a bunch of playthroughs of it and just watching the game is creepy as hell. I got scared in the beginning because of all the jumpiness.

I kind of wish kouri made it clearer that Ib was nine due to
Garry and her being paired up all the time and it being really pedo-ish, but since Garry is a fundamentally nice guy as far as we know, it seems to be more of a older brother- ittle sister relationship
But man is there a lot of fanart for this game...
deviantART
---------------------

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#3 Post by SilverxBlue »

Just finished playing this game and finally got all of the endings. I had to replay a lot of times just so I could get the best possible ending. There was also one time that I got stuck, but it's just because I'm pretty lazy when it comes to inspecting stuff.

It's not really that scary but I still had to play it on broad daylight cause the background music does a great job of amplifying the "scare/creepy" factor in the game.
Rabbits kinda creep me out and after playing Ib, I'm just trying my best to avoid them as much as possible.

Totally random but when it came to the scene where Garry was about to ruin Mary's painting, I just had to scream "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" XD
And also...
CheeryMoya wrote:And beware the Ladies.
I cannot stress this warning hard enough.
lepapillonrouge wrote:
I kind of wish kouri made it clearer that Ib was nine due to
Garry and her being paired up all the time and it being really pedo-ish, but since Garry is a fundamentally nice guy as far as we know, it seems to be more of a older brother- ittle sister relationship
But man is there a lot of fanart for this game...
I never really saw Ib and Garry being paired up that way. Ever. I just looked at them as a pair of bro and sis the whole time. o.o
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

FluffyBlew

#4 Post by FluffyBlew »

I downloaded and played this game because of your post, and I really enjoyed it.
I really liked the puzzles and all of the characters, though I'm sure many were... terrified of one of them...

Something must be very wrong with me because
I got killed by the red mannequin twice in the ant painting area yet I managed to escape the ladies/heads area and the doll room the first time round...
Overall, I think this game can be quite scary at times ( there was one room that was really... creepy, it caused me to have a hard time sleeping OTL ) though it gets better later on. Definitely the kind of game for people who like horror games but prefer creepy stuffs over jumping zombies.
lepapillonrouge wrote: I kind of wish kouri made it clearer that Ib was nine due to
Yeah, I saw tons of fanart of GarryxIb on tumblr, though I really can't see the both of them as nothing more than just a brother-sister pair.

Alwerien
Regular

#5 Post by Alwerien »

I have found this game few weeks ago and completely fell in love with it. The game is smart, the story is intriguing and the puzzles were enjoyable. I played it on my own during storm, so it was a bit scary, jumped out every time. But it was not too bad. You can get used to it easily. Though that doll room.........................NO I CAN'T GET USED TO THAT.
The art is..I guess it's decent and the ton of gorgeous fanart more than makes up for any lack of gorgeous art in the game itself. Though the designs in the game are really intriguing.
FluffyBlew wrote:
lepapillonrouge wrote: I kind of wish kouri made it clearer that Ib was nine due to
Yeah, I saw tons of fanart of GarryxIb on tumblr, though I really can't see the both of them as nothing more than just a brother-sister pair.
In the game itself I probably view them in a brother-sister relationship as well, but I don't really mind them being paired together otherwise. Most of the fanarts that are there of them on pixiv are usually very tame and/or are as of 10 years in future or so (often very cute comics). I find that very sweet and sort of canon. Especially funny are the ones where Garry is the future bride though, haha. Well, he was much more of a scaredy cat than Ib was.
I love it when games with romance option have possible love interests both male and female. I wish there were more games like that. :<

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by CheeryMoya »

Finished all the endings quite a while ago, and now I'm trying to take screenshots while playing. You would not believe how hard it is to not freak out while having to pause the game every so often to take screenies >_>

Yeah, the fandom for Ib is both great and kinda "why... :C" for a lot of reasons. Lots of shiny fanart, but too much IbxGarry in a non-sibling relationship sort of thing. I know they're cute together, but she's 9... D: Also if you follow the right Tumblr askblogs, you'll get lolz everywhere. Personal fan of the Gangster!Ib and co. roleplay, while I somehow managed to start an askblog for those mannequin heads why q-q

FluffyBlew

#7 Post by FluffyBlew »

Alwerien wrote:I have found this game few weeks ago and completely fell in love with it. The game is smart, the story is intriguing and the puzzles were enjoyable. I played it on my own during storm, so it was a bit scary, jumped out every time. But it was not too bad. You can get used to it easily. Though that doll room.........................NO I CAN'T GET USED TO THAT.
]
Funnily, I kinda liked how those dolls would roll their eyes to look at you wtf, yet I'm totally scared of the Liar's Room after you've completed it. It's reaally freaky.
Girls... sure can be scary.
CheeryMoya wrote:Finished all the endings quite a while ago, and now I'm trying to take screenshots while playing. You would not believe how hard it is to not freak out while having to pause the game every so often to take screenies >_>

Yeah, the fandom for Ib is both great and kinda "why... :C" for a lot of reasons. Lots of shiny fanart, but too much IbxGarry in a non-sibling relationship sort of thing. I know they're cute together, but she's 9... D: Also if you follow the right Tumblr askblogs, you'll get lolz everywhere. Personal fan of the Gangster!Ib and co. roleplay, while I somehow managed to start an askblog for those mannequin heads why q-q
Wow, you made that askblog? I loved it, it's really entertaining haha. Love the way you answer, it's so creative!
It's kinda hard to take screenshots manually since you've gotta run around quick so I think it's better if you take a video while you're playing first, then take snapshots of the video later.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by CheeryMoya »

Yeah, the Liar's Room was pretty creepy. Anyone know what was up with Careless Carrie? I still don't know if it connects to the story overall.
FluffyBlew wrote:Wow, you made that askblog? I loved it, it's really entertaining haha. Love the way you answer, it's so creative!
It's kinda hard to take screenshots manually since you've gotta run around quick so I think it's better if you take a video while you're playing first, then take snapshots of the video later.
>_>
<_<
Thanks I suppose? I'm a little limited in how I can answer since I still need to go through and rip sprites of all the enemies. That "Hanging Garry" one was both herp and derp, and it got more reblogs than it should >_<
And I don't have a video recording program. I think this laptop can handle that, so got any suggestions on what I should use?

Alwerien
Regular

#9 Post by Alwerien »

CheeryMoya wrote:Finished all the endings quite a while ago, and now I'm trying to take screenshots while playing. You would not believe how hard it is to not freak out while having to pause the game every so often to take screenies >_>

Woah, some of those tumblrs are definitely great. :D
... ... ... that hanged Garry nooooo D: But your mannequin tumblr is pretty cool.

Hmm. Well I don't think I have any problem with the fanarts as I think I have only seen one thumbnail of R-rated (WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT) fanart of the game on danbooru. Which is something, since usually fanarts don't spare lolis of that just cos they are 9. I definitely appreciate that most of the Ib fanarts are really sensual (and most of cases the romantic ones she is portrayed older -
there isn't even many kissing fanarts and they hugged even in the game so isn't that fine~
). All those macarons pics make me hungry though.
FluffyBlew wrote:Funnily, I kinda liked how those dolls would roll their eyes to look at you wtf, yet I'm totally scared of the Liar's Room after you've completed it. It's reaally freaky.
Girls... sure can be scary.
Well true, Mary sure can be scary too.
I totally freaked out when I saw Mary stabbing the head, then went out and suddenly that yandere sneaked up on me all "Don't leave me." Freaking scary. And then when they joined again... At first I thought I will be able to forgive her but the absence of good ending for all three ultimately made me choose Garryand consider the sister ending the worst.. Garryyyyyyyyyy TAT But I still felt really bad for her in the best ending.
Speaking of Mary, I have read a short manga on pixiv about Mary and Guertena
where she was his daughter
and it was so sad.
I love it when games with romance option have possible love interests both male and female. I wish there were more games like that. :<

Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

#10 Post by Vegeluxia »

I played this a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it~<3 First game I’ve played in a long while that brought up the urge to cry… out of sadness. :’D

Absolutely beautiful game. I just wish it was a little bit longer.
CheeryMoya wrote:And beware the Ladies.
For. Sure. XD

I never Garry and Ib paired up in a creepy sort of way either. D: It seemed more brother and sister to me. Garry is just a super nice guy. I mean, their lives were potentially in danger, I see nothing wrong about being concerned about the kids.

Rakoa

#11 Post by Rakoa »

I also love the game. I hacked out my iPod so that instead of Slide to Unlock, it reads Enter Art Gallery, and entering in the wrong password will display "You Don't Know Some of the Words" instead of "Wrong Passcode". Yeah, I really like the game...

But what we need to do is save Ib, the article. Someone created a Wikipedia article for Ib, and there is talk about closing it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... /Ib_(game)

I say we get out butts in gear, head over there and save the article from being deleted. Ib deserves a Wikipedia article, no?

FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

#12 Post by FlawedFlare »

I played this a couple weeks back. It really picked up on popularity o__O
I was on my toes throughout the whole game. Especially when random things just seem to pop out. Man, Ib is a brave girl. I love how it's so unique as a horror game, instead of scary faces and pop-ups, Ib relies on inexplicable events within artwork and plain ol' illusions.
That giant doll just popped up from behind the bookshelf in the library. Gave me chills and made me never want to go back in there. ; - ; The doll room didn't help either, but I tried a couple of times to make sure Garry was not harmed. But getting slapped by Ib (twice) is also a privilege! XD
Now two questions: In the bunny/doll room, who do you think was hallucinating?
Personally, I think Ib was. There was a book about having too much fear and hallucinating. As a nine-year-old, I think Ib would've been at least scared on the inside. And we've seen the dolls several times outside of that room, even as enemies in the toy box. But no bunnies. Though the suicide mint bunny scared me ; u ;
And which ending did you first get when you played the game? I got
Memory's Crannies. So sad. But at least I have Garry's candy. HA. It's like I have a part of Garry forever with me. Until I eat it, of course. c: