Before and after: How much have you changed?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

Before and after: How much have you changed?

#1 Post by junna »

Hey everyone!

So I found an old fiction I wrote 5 years ago and read it just for the sake of reading it. Aside from improvements on grammar and spelling which is a result of me overcoming dyslexia (but still attacks when I least expect it to, for example, in exams), plotlines and other technical aspects between now and then.
I was astounded at how different I was at writing 5 years ago compared to now. I appear to have a much more twisted mind back then.

When I compare to how I write now, it seems that I have lost much of that twisted-ness and came on the path of romance and happiness and laughter with a side helping of supernatural happenings and morbid humour. Hmm, I'm still a bit twisted. Funny how five years change you.

So, I'm curious, writers, can you see how much you have changed?
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

ImmaDeker
Regular
Organization: "Glycerine" by Bush

Re: Before and after: How much have you changed?

#2 Post by ImmaDeker »

I use the word "dong" way more now.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#3 Post by wakagana »

ImmaDeker wrote:I use the word "dong" way more now.
I use 'swag' too much as well. I was so innocent when I was a child, now all I do is roll around in snapbacks.

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#4 Post by MarineScripter »

How much I have changed means I now have something halfway legible, at least. Looking back at my old works gives me the urge to toss them out the window and dance on the pieces.
I still use too much sarcasm from my partner's point of view. Probably.

Hiddlestoners
Regular
Completed: Thinking Of You [KN]
Projects: PERPLEXITY [Mystery VN], simplicity [KN,Fluff,GxB,BxG]

#5 Post by Hiddlestoners »

After reading the GCSE creative writing piece I had, I literally facepalmed myself and wondered how the hell I got an A/A* on it. I'd like to believe that my writing is more full and complete now compared to the whole "oh this sounds good so let's work around it and stick things in to lead up to it."
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

CtrlAltLee
Regular
Completed: Pizza Ditza, Som'thin' Short
Projects: The Despots Daughter
Organization: Nerd Eden Studios

#6 Post by CtrlAltLee »

I know my tastes have changed a lot though. I still write a bit on the bittersweet side, but I can't stand stuff that's too dark and morbid, so I think that even if my stuff isn't all fluffy it's still a lot nicer than it used to be. Still, I don't think I'm necessarily a better writer. (Whatever that means). Some people (imo) get worse with time, become too formulaic, too professional and polished.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#7 Post by Greeny »

I have become far worse. Why? Not because of style, grammar or plot. But because I just don't write as often anymore.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#8 Post by Blane Doyle »

I've changed a lot... at and at the same time I haven't changed much at all.

I am still descriptive, but I have gotten less so. I started to focus more on dialogue and what needed to be said, not what makes my writing sound prettier. I consider this an improvement.

I have also started to write darker things and there is a lot more depressing undertones in my work. I also consider this an improvement as before everything was cartoon happy perfect.

Of course, when I write non-fiction I seem to have gotten worse. I tend to ramble too much. And typing like this has gotten worse as well, I think. I need to be able to write more and explain myself, but instead I want to give short and to the point answers.

Not helpful on a forum like this.

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#9 Post by Stripe »

I always used to find it much, much easier to write than I do now... mainly because I've become more critical, I think. Everything I write looks wrong, and I tend to erase it all and never get anything done. ;_; Really, though, that's just me being a perfectionist; I could probably write stuff that people would think was decent enough, but decent isn't ENOUGH for me! Eesh, my high standards mean I'll probably never get anything done by myself...

This is also the reason I hardly ever post on forums. I just can't word things properly! Agh, English, why are you so hard... (ノ_<。)

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#10 Post by KittyKatStar »

So, I'm curious, writers, can you see how much you have changed?

I feel like I hit a ceiling... So I don't think I've changed at all in the last five years. ;_;

Maaaaybe writing comes more easily, but that's about it. ^^; I think I also stopped getting into purple prose and just focus on writing natural...?

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#11 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Well... I don't really know. When I was five I wrote a story about three little birds and everyone was like WOW you wrote this? But you're FIVE.
Now everyone thinks that I'm some kind of unknown author when they read what I write* (when it's actually good, I sorta derp out on VNs XD).
I guess I've gotten a much large vocabulary, and I know how to fit words together, and what they mean. I also know how to edit and spell MUCH better than I did in years 4 - 6. Considering my goal is to be a renowned author, I feel like I need to keep improving, but being told by a WORLD WIDE bestselling author (SRSLY GAIZ READ IAN IRVINE. SRSLY) that I had so much potential and could potentially be quite famous really makes you feel all warm and fuzzly inside.
Oh, and five years ago... I was like 10, and I didn't write much soo.... derp.

*slight exaggeration, but they do think that I'm better at writing than a lot of adults they know.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#12 Post by Daistarir »

My writing usually have comedies.
Now , it's comedies + adultish smell.

cuttlefish
Regular

#13 Post by cuttlefish »

Blane Doyle wrote:I need to be able to write more and explain myself, but instead I want to give short and to the point answers.

Not helpful on a forum like this.
I don't think short answers are bad. Once you've said everything you need to say, why make it longer? You can be concise, and just elaborate when necessary.
junna wrote:So, I'm curious, writers, can you see how much you have changed?
Yes. My style has become quite plain from writing so many technical pieces. Hopefully NaNoWriMo will help me redevelop it.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#14 Post by junna »

cuttlefish wrote:
junna wrote:So, I'm curious, writers, can you see how much you have changed?
Yes. My style has become quite plain from writing so many technical pieces. Hopefully NaNoWriMo will help me redevelop it.
I believe I have this problem too. And judging from my intentions to pursue postgrad...It'll become even more technical in the future.

Hiddlestoners wrote:After reading the GCSE creative writing piece I had, I literally facepalmed myself and wondered how the hell I got an A/A* on it. I'd like to believe that my writing is more full and complete now compared to the whole "oh this sounds good so let's work around it and stick things in to lead up to it."
Keep that piece around to show yourself that you really have improved. I actually hoard my writings so I have a piece of writing I wrote 10 years ago (god, I sound old) which was wrote NaNoWriMo style...it had dates of when I wrote and the approximate wordcount I had for that day's writing. it was...like reading someone else's work.

MarineScripter wrote:How much I have changed means I now have something halfway legible, at least. Looking back at my old works gives me the urge to toss them out the window and dance on the pieces.
I still use too much sarcasm from my partner's point of view. Probably.
Nooo~ make a bonfire first! lol. nah.
I'd still say keep them. And maybe have a bit of a laugh over it.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

neowired
Regular

#15 Post by neowired »

I changed tremendously by increasing my understanding, overall quality and general mindset.
But it also killed my creativity because now I find it harder to satisfy myself.