His and her parts- Slice of life 20 years in the future.

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

His and her parts- Slice of life 20 years in the future.

#1 Post by desulishor »

This is yet another personal project, currently in the 'daydream' -stage. Writing help, advice, or other sort of support are appreciated, but right now I don't have much to show. Later, I could think of recruiting an artist too, but yeah. An idea, that's what it is.

Synopsis: Kai lost his right arm in an accident and is currently trying to cope with his new robotic arm. Meanwhile, Vivian, a former athlete paralyzed from the neck down is trying to adapt to live with her cyborg body. The story will deal with the feelings of loss, accepting change, and probably a bit of romance too.

In my plans, this will be a kinetic visual novel with dual narrators. The player will be able to choose a character at the beginning of the story, but overall events will be the same regardless of the choice, the only difference being your point of view. The length of gameplay I'm currently aiming at would be 30+ minutes per arc.

Characters:
Kai
A down-to-earth student in a visual arts college. He used to enjoy drawing and art, but the loss of his right arm is forcing him to rethink his situation.

Vivian
A tomboyish girl who used to love running. When her story starts, she has been paralyzed for half a year.

Elements and the world view of the story:
The story takes place in a nameless town somewhere in Europe. It is year 203X and the future we have hoped for is still nowhere to be seen. There are no bases on the moon or Mars, the cars do not hover and fusion energy is still a pipe dream.
However, robotic limbs are slowly becoming more commonplace as a treatment and a few years ago, the world witnessed the first 'full cyborg', a human with all four robotic limbs. But these are not the cyborgs of science fiction, there are medical complications, problems with the feedback system and human nerves, and the limitations of the batteries and the servo motors.

JemaB.

Re: His and her parts- Slice of life 20 years in the future.

#2 Post by JemaB. »

This sounds very interesting, I like the idea of cyborgs being very vulnerable human beings; not killing machines.
Have you done any concept art yet?

projektai

#3 Post by projektai »

JemaB. wrote:This sounds very interesting, I like the idea of cyborgs being very vulnerable human beings; not killing machines.
I agree - it is an interesting idea to toy with. I think something like this would expose very "human" feelings, or sensitive feelings. I wonder how the two will meet; maybe at a similar university? Or even coming out of physical therapy? There's a lot of possibilities.

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#4 Post by desulishor »

JemaB. wrote:This sounds very interesting, I like the idea of cyborgs being very vulnerable human beings; not killing machines.
Sorry, but nope. I'm not an active artist myself, so I don't even have a scanner or a drawing tablet at the moment, although I have some experience in drawing. In my plans, I wanted the art to be sort of crude or sketch-like, to show the vulnerability and incomplete (as in wounded, damaged) nature of the characters. I'm taking some influences from the Ghost in the Shell -series, but I think I want the 'cyborg' parts to look a bit more unsophisticated, with some degree of metal and wiring exposed.

It's a tough situation to be in, when I have the image of how I want the charas to look in my head, but not the skills to do it myself. I'm either waiting the problem gets solved while I focus on writing, or then I'll think of it when the story has been fleshed out better.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#5 Post by Coren »

Sounds a bit like Brass Restoration to me - good luck with the game. :)