Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Amorphous
Regular
Completed: Recording the Predestined Time
Tumblr: beastamorphous
Github: dmliao
Soundcloud: a_morphous
itch: amorphous

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3091 Post by Amorphous »

Lishy wrote:Pet peeve, but I hate when people pronounce "schedule" as "sh-ked-yule".

JUST STOP IT ALREADY, GOD FUCKING DAMNIT! GEEZ!
Uh, I think I'm one of those people. How do you pronounce it?
Confused person. Makes art and music.
Website | Twitter

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#3092 Post by fioricca »

teacup wrote:I really don't get why people are so angry at me for not working on one of my projects anymore ._.;;
I mean... people abandon working on their VNs all the time, for hundreds of possible reasons. Just look at how many WIPs in the forum that were never finished. So why do I get called lame, a loser and a bad example to VN makers because I don't want to work on something anymore, too? Am I for some reason held to a different standard than other people? I don't get it.
At least I apologized for it and give reasons. Plenty of people just abandon their VNs without saying a thing about it. Wouldn't it have been worse if I did that? Or maybe not, because people would still have some false hope that I was working on it. I don't know. I'm doing it as a hobby and if my hobby isn't fun anymore, then I'm going to stop. That doesn't mean I'm a loser or that I gave up, does it? Ugh, I try to be nice to everyone but some people are really testing the limit to which my niceness can stretch.. >_>;
I understand being disappointed, but really, insulting me is a bit too much.
I see this as something similar to fans who complain that their favourite fanartist no longer draws the pairings they like/have switched fandoms. It's. Pretty silly. So I echo everyone in saying that there's no reason to take such comments to heart; it's always best to simply do what you like to do and listen to your passion. :'>

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#3093 Post by pwisaguacate »

Amorphous wrote:
Lishy wrote:Pet peeve, but I hate when people pronounce "schedule" as "sh-ked-yule".

Uh, I think I'm one of those people. How do you pronounce it?
As far as I know, the American pronunciation is similar to "sked-jual."

Also, I found this:
MrHen wrote:
Etymonline wrote:[...] the modern British pronunciation ("shed-yul") is from French influence, while the U.S. pronunciation ("sked-yul") is from the practice of Webster, and is based on the Greek original.
To answer your question directly, the modern spelling appeared in 15c as a throwback to the Latin schedula. Google's pronunciation of Latin schedula sounds like skeh-doo-la to me. This is closer to the typical US pronunciation.

The pronunciation guides I checked list the UK pronunciation as simply "UK". Whether it has a class distinction isn't something I can answer.
* http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... d-schedule
"Shed-yul" might be a more British thing.
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3094 Post by Sapphi »

Argh, that would drive me crazy too!!
Amorphous wrote: Uh, I think I'm one of those people. How do you pronounce it?
Spelled with an 'h' AFTER the 'c', it's supposed to be ske-, not shke- :P

Although... am I the only person here who pronounces it like 'ske-djew-wool'? I don't think it's supposed to have three syllables... maybe my rural accent is showing :oops:

On this topic, I think one of my biggest lingual pet peeves, even more than the your/you're confusion, is when people write "defiantly" when they mean "definitely". It leads to some hilarious sentences but still, how can they not tell the difference?!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#3095 Post by pwisaguacate »

Sapphi wrote:On this topic, I think one of my biggest lingual pet peeves, even more than the your/you're confusion, is when people write "defiantly" when they mean "definitely". It leads to some hilarious sentences but still, how can they not tell the difference?!
Just as worse, I hate seeing the short-word "deffo."

Also, the way it's standard American English to write the comma and period mark within quotation marks. It works just fine most of the time but in certain situations I'd prefer it outside the quotation marks like the one above.

(Ugh, metric system yay, but words like metre...)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3096 Post by teacup »

You guys are right. Learning to ignore people would benefit me in so many ways, but it's hard. I let too many things get to me. How do I stop that? ;_;

Another thing that's been annoying me to no end: There are people blatantly ignoring the big post on my blog saying that my game is cancelled, only to go find the old posts about the game and asking when it's going to come out/saying they're excited for it. I mean... WHAT?
Are those the kind of people that only hear what they want to hear?

Ugh... I'm sorry for complaining so much. It's just... the mindset of certain people just eludes me. v_v;

DeeKay
Veteran

#3097 Post by DeeKay »

@teacup

Don't worry. Considering what you've told us so far, it's a natural reaction to have. Sadly, persistent people are just what they sound like.
I guess that if they're bothering to unearth old posts, you could ask for the topic to be deleted altogether ? If you don't intend to ever go back to this topic, that is.

Don't try to understand this mindset, there's no logic to it. It's kinda sad to say, but you're better off leaving them rot on their own. They'll get tired of it eventually.. hopefully.. "Don't feed the trolls !" I should say :)

It's not fair for you to take the heat of their "dreams and expectations" when they're not even considerate enough to acknowledge your own feelings and circumstances.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#3098 Post by ebi brain »

I thought I could handle making my own oil paint...
But it only made my RSI worse ( got five new "knots" in my neck now XD).

Now I have a really nice, expensive paperweight ( the glass muller).
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3099 Post by SundownKid »

teacup wrote: Another thing that's been annoying me to no end: There are people blatantly ignoring the big post on my blog saying that my game is cancelled, only to go find the old posts about the game and asking when it's going to come out/saying they're excited for it. I mean... WHAT?

Ugh... I'm sorry for complaining so much. It's just... the mindset of certain people just eludes me. v_v;
I would probably put that energy into something more productive. For example, tell anyone who asks for your game someone else whose game they would like instead. And remove anything that suggests your game is in progress to remove the confusion about it that people seem to be experiencing.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3100 Post by Blue Lemma »

@teacup: You have to decide who you are and let everyone else roll off the best you can.

Pretend they're like the teacher in Peanuts and be Peppermint Patty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04
:D

@ebi: massage time!
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3101 Post by MaiMai »

teacup wrote:You guys are right. Learning to ignore people would benefit me in so many ways, but it's hard. I let too many things get to me. How do I stop that? ;_;

Another thing that's been annoying me to no end: There are people blatantly ignoring the big post on my blog saying that my game is cancelled, only to go find the old posts about the game and asking when it's going to come out/saying they're excited for it. I mean... WHAT?

This kind of reminds me of the pet peeves I have here right on the forums when new members reply to super old WIP threads of obviously abandoned projects without bothering to look at the date of when it was last updated and they STILL think it's being worked on. It's a fascinatingly selective and narrow sort of vision and I feel like an asshole whenever I point out that a thread is plus years old to the new person (so much for being friendly on the forums)

Also, this just brings up the point where I noticed people who get into the free games we have here tend to expect VN makers to stick to one genre/storyline. For your case, teacup, those people expect you to keep making otome games in a classic school setting when you clearly have interests elsewhere. People showed surprise when azuretwilight deviated from her Fantasia series to make a horror VN where the focus wasn't pursuing love interests as it was uncovering the mysteries. VenusEclipse surprised some people when she released her classic dating sim which is a stark contrast to her full length fantasy VN.

It just goes to show you that the audience sometimes forget that VN makers want to work on a project that actually keeps their interest. Stick for one thing for too long and you'd get bored trying to please people all the time!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3102 Post by Reikun »

I only have 4 more weeks left in this semester but I'm all burned out. I don't know how I'm going to keep going with final projects due and exams soon u___u I just want to fail all my classes and work on my games/commissions but I know that's not really an option. Argh.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#3103 Post by azureXtwilight »

teacup wrote:You guys are right. Learning to ignore people would benefit me in so many ways, but it's hard. I let too many things get to me. How do I stop that? ;_;

I feel your pain. Really, I am. It's not just that, I have read in one of my fan accounts...
see as this game is dead i will not be getting more of the plushe i want to get made from the games and i will not have any of my art work from the Fantasia MOGF games on here any more it hurts to much to see them on here. that will be all i have to say.
and some people still asks whether it's going to be released or not. I decided to lock the thread afterwards, but people still ask me on DA, facebook page, and so on...

I think you should just decide to ignore them. If they get angry at you, please don't take it to heart. When you don't enjoy something that you do, stop it. You're not doing it for money, no one gave you anything for it. So do what you like with your time. I don't want you to look back and feel sorry that there are things you could've done but didn't.

Cheer up, teacup! :D
Kokoro Hane wrote:I had a terrible insult on my point commissions on deviantART. On the forums, someone had a thread, saying they were looking to commission people, so I posted up my prices and a few example. Then..someone, WHO WASN'T EVEN THE THREAD STARTER, MIND YOU! commented saying "I don't see how you're worth that much". Note; one dollar is worth 80 points, but we deviants typically liken 100 points to the dollar (easier to think about, just pretend its pennies XD). MOST of the commissions I offer are UNDER 100 points, meaning...I am practically charging CENTS for my commissions. They really can't go any lower...at that point it's basically going to be free. Chibi sketches are 5 points, 10 for ink, 20 for color. And then you have the prices for head shots, half bodies, full bodies, etc.! I seriously don't get it >.> I think what ticked me off most is it wasn't even that person's thread. Sure, I know for a fact my art isn't excellent, there is lots of room for improvement, that's why I purposely keep my commissions charged really low. Plus, thinking from a customer's point of view, cheap is good! And despite how cheap it is, I do my best to make it quality. I'm not gonna hand out a crappy chibi just because I am getting loose change. This is a good practice on learning how to sell, price, do requests, and it gives me more drawing practice and builds my portfolio.

The cool thing is, though, another random deviant commented back, chewing him out. I'm not one to argue, I did respond to the person insulting me, hinting I didn't like what was said and the reason they are priced the way they are (and the person still didn't get it, saying it's still too high in point value scale). But man, I was NOT expecting a random person to defend me. I was really greatful, and it reminded me not to get so down about people being mean to me. Instead, I'm gonna keep focusing on drawing and improving myself to become a better artist. You can't improve if you just give up ^.^
Ahh, this reminds me back in the day when someone told me here in LSF that doppelganger's art was horrible or something, that nothing good came from it. I was clearly insulted because I don't even ask for money from it, but I guess I can't really hope for all ponies and rainbows. There are rude people in the world, and even in the internet. They don't have the right to judge you, but you shouldn't let them affect your feelings either. They are just not worth it.

Remember that there are nice people who appreciates your art, no matter how bad it seems to other people. Use this as a whip to do a better job next time, and show them off what you can do! Best of luck!

Aines445
Regular

#3104 Post by Aines445 »

I know, right? It's hard for me to ignore people too, no matter how hard I try, it still somehow gets to me. But the thing is to still stay strong. See how many people are cheering you up and supporting you here? That's a good source of strength (Words X.X) ^-^.
azureXtwilight wrote: Ahh, this reminds me back in the day when someone told me here in LSF that doppelganger's art was horrible or something, that nothing good came from it.
Hey, that wasn't me, right? I did say before that Fantasia's CG art was better than some of the CGs, but I never said it was horrible, so it can't be me, right? right? *Searches the Doppelganger post in terror* I hope not, since I respect you, since you made many games FOR FREE, all by yourself, with a very good storyline, and the Sprite art was great in Doppelganger ^-^. I'd shoot myself if I were, out of remorse T_T (And I value my life to a great extent XD).

WAIT!

I need to make this on-topic! I MUST complain!

Should I use economy as a nice in-topic rant? It's been bad, here in the Land of Wonderzzzz XD. No, just kidding, I DO have something to rant about!

My procrastination is getting in the way of practicing my art! Pretty much like this:
Me: "Hmm....I'm pretty bored..."
Me: "Maybe I should draw something and train...." *looks at the computer*
Me: "Nah, I'll do that later. VIDEOS!"
And I never draw! I want to draw, but the temptation! So many videos to watch! So many topics to see here! Damn it! So I'm thinking of maybe making a deviant art account, or a personal art thread here, but I'm afraid that I my procrastination will get in the way, or I would've done so already......<.<

Endorphin
Veteran

#3105 Post by Endorphin »

I'm applying for college and we had the assignment to visualise a topic ["Umbruch" in German].
How comes I whip out a coloured storyboard without problems but stuck at writing a description with at least 150 words when I'm usually somebody who never stops talking?
I just don't get it. How is that even possible?

Just 55 more words. I can do this. Right?