Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3271 Post by Greeny »

Now that I've moved to my parent's farm in South Africa to focus on my VN business, my prospects of finding a life partner are pretty close to nil if I don't find an income and another place to live. I mean, sure there's a town nearby (12 km... "nearby") but, and although I can't help feel this is an unethical way to feel, I just can't see myself getting with any of the local population, black or white (it's sadly still a big thing here...). We come from entirely different worlds, and trust me, it doesn't work like in the stories, I can tell you that from experience. There's nothing for us to talk about; these people have been born into poverty, raised in fear, educated to the lowest standards and been taught traditional values. I need a strong woman, someone who can think for themselves, can share intellectual discussions with me, doesn't jump at the mere thought of a rattlesnake. It doesn't feel politically correct, but that doesn't change the way I feel.

And that means finding commercial success to support myself with VN's (and point-and-click adventure games, as I've been finding Ren'Py actually supports that quite well) isn't just what my career is riding on... It's what my whole life is riding on.

Admittedly, I've travelled so much and seen so much of the world, I'm starting to doubt I can find a girl anywhere... I'm an outsider to everywhere I go. I've adopted parts of every culture, and that makes me an outsider even to my country of birth, Belgium, even to the country of my youth, South Africa, even to the country of my dreams, Japan...

As much as my parents really kind of hate America, I'm finding myself wanting to move there if only for the sole reason of desperation - maybe America, being as diverse as it is and being home of the internet I frequent, might finally be a place I can call home. Preferrably Canada, which is essentially the U.S. but with less guns and pointy objects. But then, without money or a degree, I'm going nowhere fast.

In other news.
I recently found out my grandfather had worked for Saddam Hussein. Yep, you read that right.
Okay, not directly. He was employed by a Belgian electrical firm that was commissioned by the late Mr. Hussein to work on the construction of a "fertilizer factory". I probably could have suspected since I already knew that my mother had lived in Iraq during her youth because of grandpa's job.

Small world.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3272 Post by SundownKid »

Greeny wrote: Admittedly, I've travelled so much and seen so much of the world, I'm starting to doubt I can find a girl anywhere... I'm an outsider to everywhere I go. I've adopted parts of every culture, and that makes me an outsider even to my country of birth, Belgium, even to the country of my youth, South Africa, even to the country of my dreams, Japan...
I think girls love guys who are well-traveled adventurers, so you shouldn't feel down on yourself just yet. Just parlay your experiences into small talk to become the most interesting guy in the room.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#3273 Post by Greeny »

SundownKid wrote:
Greeny wrote: Admittedly, I've travelled so much and seen so much of the world, I'm starting to doubt I can find a girl anywhere... I'm an outsider to everywhere I go. I've adopted parts of every culture, and that makes me an outsider even to my country of birth, Belgium, even to the country of my youth, South Africa, even to the country of my dreams, Japan...
I think girls love guys who are well-traveled adventurers, so you shouldn't feel down on yourself just yet. Just parlay your experiences into small talk to become the most interesting guy in the room.
I am always the most interesting guy in the room.
The problem isn't so much being able to charm a lady, I'm well confident in my ability to do that (despite my frequent failings to do exactly that), but the bigger picture just doesn't add up. Getting a girl interested is one thing; being interested yourself is another. I can't remember the last time I met a girl who I could just talk with, without thinking, just on the same level, without there being a sense of unbalance.

But that's mostly irrelevant as long as location is an issue. I need to magically find and marry a rich lady, two birds with one stone and all that.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3274 Post by Applegate »

Maybe you need to find a rich guy if girls aren't interesting you?

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#3275 Post by Lishy »

Caught Alex Jones red-handed lying again. Friend who listens to him doesn't believe me. I facedesk at the growing stupidity on the internet because of that man.

Yes, let's stop listening to the news! Listen to the truth, and only the truth! Listen only to Alex Jones! Isolate yourself in a bunker with your survival Seed-Bank, ProPure water filters, and lifetime supply of TANGY TANGERINE! (Which contains Mercury and FLUORIDE, by the way.)

It's no wonder people like my friend are stupid. If all he drinks are Tangy Tangerine and Alex Jones is supposedly correct, then apparently it's giving him brain damage! He also knows NOTHING going on in our city because all he does is listen to Alex Jones all day!

Look, I'll admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist myself. But even compared to my friend, he is paranoid beyond belief! He believes the government is creating tornadoes with helicopters to kill us, because the Alex Jones said so! (AJ claims it's "on record", when he has to twist anything he cites to exaggerate.)
-

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#3276 Post by arachni42 »

Lishy wrote:Caught Alex Jones red-handed lying again. Friend who listens to him doesn't believe me. I facedesk at the growing stupidity on the internet because of that man.
I wasn't aware of Alex Jones specifically... which is just as well, because no doubt if I listened to him, it would send me into a white-hot rage that would require posting to this thread. ^_^ Stupidity is already out there, but I can't stand the people who fan the flames.
Lishy wrote:Look, I'll admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist myself.
The impression I've gotten from your posts is that you are interested in the truth, and you have instincts to be skeptical about conspiracy theories and the like (I mean, the ones that are a liiiiiiittle more down-to-earth than the government causing tornadoes), but you aren't sure because you don't know all the reasons. I think you would find the discussions on the Randi forums useful/interesting.

In other news, a terrifying sea creature has been caught on film! (well, "film" or digital video, one of the two)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvb3a-iRRU

This one is in color!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnr5PV_A484
Hey, they don't "rule out" that it could be some kind of an "elaborate" hoax!!! But those beach-goers sure look terrified...
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3277 Post by teacup »

Lishy wrote:He believes the government is creating tornadoes with helicopters to kill us, because the Alex Jones said so! (AJ claims it's "on record", when he has to twist anything he cites to exaggerate.)
I heard a conspiracy like that. Some people seem to think that the huge tornado that happened recently in Oklahoma was created by some government weather machine (lol) yet no one could give a good reason for why the government would do that.
My parents live there (and I was staying with them at the time) and we were about 2 miles from that tornado. I could see that tornado from the backyard, and I assure you there were no helicopters or 'machines' in sight. And I did have a clear view. Also, my brother's friend is a meteorologist/storm chaser. He knew the tornado was coming days in advance due to the prediction technology. It's not like the president just decided to stir up a storm using a helicopter that day. Almost everyone knew it was coming.
We know people who were seriously injured and completely lost their homes. To say that the government did this on purpose is just beyond stupid. Especially when you consider that there were several other major tornadoes in recent years that did similar, or worse, damage. Are we to believe that everything bad that happens in this world was caused by the government? That's paranoia at it's finest. :roll: Yeah, maybe some conspiracies are true, but sometimes bad things just happen. You can't blame everything on the goverment, especially natural disasters. Natural. Disasters.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#3278 Post by dramspringfeald »

Not sure, either shock or trauma is starting to REALLY set in because I feel almost nothing atm.

So, Her scan showed it didn't jump the fire line. It bulldozed through. It has also moved to the bottom of her lungs, She also has 2 different KINDS of cancer. They aren't sure how long but they are going to give her a Stomach Bypass. I'm honestly getting tire of this shit. Its either one thing or the other... also the microwave fried last night.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#3279 Post by dramspringfeald »

And then the dog ate my sunglasses this morning.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#3280 Post by Omnificent »

On the subject of family folks wanting folks to get married, my grandmother recently expressed a wish for me to wed before she dies. Luckily she's only 70 and healthy as a particularly healthy horse, so she can probably wait a pretty long time.

As far as relationships go, I figure that a bad relationship is worse than no relationship at all. There's no need to rush things. Similarly, a date is neither the end of the world nor a marriage proposal, so you shouldn't freak out too much about going on or asking someone out on one.

In my case, I figure there's a pretty good chance that I'm going to end up without a lifelong romantic relationship. My desperation for one isn't high enough and my willingness to compromise who I am for the sake of another person's peace of mind is too low.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

dorne
Regular

#3281 Post by dorne »

I'm a pretty shy and weak individual. Queue one week in a class with a 60+ year old salesman as an instructor. I've been speaking his British tone and have never felt so confident in myself before.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#3282 Post by pwisaguacate »

Chat remained silent for potentially 24+ hours...

I'm sure not everyone were hit by local tornadoes (and yet remain connected if so). Oh, and exactly the lucky place I live, screw tornado warnings.

EDIT: Nah, it's all good now.
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#3283 Post by Deji »

It's been raining a lot lately over here, and I'm getting all blah. Seasonal stupidity, I call it, since it happens every year around this time, and once again in spring.

About people pressuring others to get married, I'm so happy I don't get that :'D Even if I'm turning 30 this year...
*I* want to get married, but... you know how things go in my relationship 9_9; But whatever, I have other things on my mind this year to care about. (Though if I don't get proposed to by certain date later this year, I'm moving on with my life and not looking back >( )
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

kura-ou
Regular

#3284 Post by kura-ou »

@Deji
Glad to see that you're still active on here :D I hope that the weather will improve soon x.x;;;

As for the marriage and having kids discussion...my mom got married when she was 24 and had me at 41 (I'm the only child because I'm the only one that survived in the U.S., my older sister died as an infant due to poor natal care in that 3rd world country); my dad is 13 years older than her. So, I don't really get pressured to marry, but need to study hard for a good-paying job in the future because we're poor .__.

Being poor sucks x.x;;; And I just look around at sites like tumblr where there are legitimate causes to donate to or pay for items/merchandise while there are 'causes' that are a bit superfluous for things that could be bought if someone just saved up instead of begging (and/or having a popular friend boost the 'cause').

I think of myself and feel like crap. I can be as honest as I can about my situation, and people will diss me behind their monitor screens or think that I'm lying. It's a horrible feeling. I hate it, and I hate being scared of not being able to make ends meet sometimes. But then, I think of my friend who's much worse off than me, and there are millions of people worldwide who are suffering more than him, too: those without shelter, food or clothing.

It makes me feel less selfish, but also sad because I'm too poor to help them. .__.

I wonder if other people think this also...?
my portfolio
=>my *FREE* sketch request thread<=

I am currently booked for May/June/July, but if you would like to buy my ANIMU MERCHANDISE and ADOPTABLES to give them good homes and help keep my college finances afloat over the summer, it would be greatly appreciated ;w;

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3285 Post by Reikun »

@kura-ou; I used to sort of think like that, the whole "lots of people are so much worse off than me so I shouldn't complain" thing. In the end I realized it wasn't a productive way of thinking. It's not wrong to ask for help or support of you need it. Your problems are definitely real to you and someone else being "worse off" doesn't make your issue any less important since it is real regardless of others' situations. You will end of helping yourself first anyway if you are not well off because you need to survive so there's no sense in feeling bad about that.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter