No audio and freeze on quit in ArchLinux

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TheCycoONE

No audio and freeze on quit in ArchLinux

#1 Post by TheCycoONE »

As I detailed at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/renpy-allinone/ when I run renpy on ArchLinux (any game, including 'the question') I don't hear any audio (though the audio stream is registered, I see a volume control for it). As well when I quit the game the window closes but the process doesn't go away, and I have to manually kill python.

Otherwise the games work fine. The problem doesn't seem to be audio driver dependent (I tried forcing it to pulse, alsa, and oss, and all exhibited the exact same issue). Also there is no terminal output indicating a problem, even when setting config.debug_audio=true. I tried both 6.15.7 and the latest git as of yesterday.

I realize this doesn't affect everyone, but I need help to diagnose the issue further. (I'm an experienced developer, but not with python)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: No audio and freeze on quit in ArchLinux

#2 Post by PyTom »

I think the first step would be to download Ren'Py from http://www.renpy.org/ , and see if the problem persists. That will tell us if the problem is with Ren'Py, or with the packaging.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

TheCycoONE

#3 Post by TheCycoONE »

I downloaded the SDK and attempt to run renpy.sh, but I get the following:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading the script.
Exception: Module _errorhandling could not be loaded.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 203, in main
renpy.exports.load_module("_errorhandling")
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 1454, in load_module
initcode = renpy.game.script.load_module(name)
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/script.py", line 193, in load_module
raise Exception("Module %s could not be loaded." % name)
Exception: Module _errorhandling could not be loaded.

Linux-3.10.9-1-ARCH-i686-with-glibc2.0
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374

TheCycoONE

#4 Post by TheCycoONE »

Disregard the previous post, it turned out that the installation had set some environment variables. After restarting, the downloaded renpy-sdk is starting properly, however the original bug seems unchanged.

If I run the launcher with ./renpy.sh and then run a game I have to killall pythonw to get rid of the process. (The launcher itself exits gracefully so I can still use the terminal)
If I run ./renpy.sh the_question then I have to killall renpy to get the terminal back.

TheCycoONE

#5 Post by TheCycoONE »

Sound worked for me once today, but not when I ran the program again. Again, if this was a C++ program I would know how to run gdb and get a dump of all the running threads to find out where it was getting locked up (since it refuses to exit gracefully when I quit the problem is likely a deadlock or infinite loop) However since it's a C module in python I have no idea how to help you.

I assume you can't reproduce, but could you tell me how to diagnose this problem myself?