Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
twilightworks
Projects: celestial underground

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3496 Post by twilightworks »

JumpJump wrote:Over the last few weeks, I've been hearing strange noises and whispers around my house. I've also been seeing things (very difficult to explain). I'm torn between thinking that I'm going mad or I really am hearing and seeing something! Which is the lesser of two evils?
Hmm. That's a little strange! Do you live alone? The human psyche can pull a lot of weird things on you when you're alone, and naturally the phenomena of seeing things in shadows has been around for a long time.

Look after yourself friend!

twilightworks
Projects: celestial underground

#3497 Post by twilightworks »

As for myself, not much to get off my chest at the moment. I'm looking at buying my first house, and imagining all the awesome things I could do with the extra rooms. I really want my own space--somewhere to close out the rest of the world and retreat to, if you know what I mean.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3498 Post by Sapphi »

JumpJump wrote:Over the last few weeks, I've been hearing strange noises and whispers around my house. I've also been seeing things (very difficult to explain). I'm torn between thinking that I'm going mad or I really am hearing and seeing something! Which is the lesser of two evils?
Okay, first question - can you think of anything that might have triggered them?

Second question - does this happen at any particular time of day? Because... recently, some nights while I'm trying to go to sleep, I've been hearing angry/stern voices in my head saying random things to me. Sometimes it's my mother's voice yelling at me. I'm hoping this is normal, and I think it is, because it only happens when I am trying to sleep, but it still freaks me out... :(
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#3499 Post by JumpJump »

twilightworks wrote:Hmm. That's a little strange! Do you live alone? The human psyche can pull a lot of weird things on you when you're alone, and naturally the phenomena of seeing things in shadows has been around for a long time.

Look after yourself friend!
I live with my wife and child. I do know that the human psyche is sadly not the most reliable thing sometimes.
twilightworks wrote:Okay, first question - can you think of anything that might have triggered them?
Nope.
twilightworks wrote:Second question - does this happen at any particular time of day? Because... recently, some nights while I'm trying to go to sleep, I've been hearing angry/stern voices in my head saying random things to me. Sometimes it's my mother's voice yelling at me. I'm hoping this is normal, and I think it is, because it only happens when I am trying to sleep, but it still freaks me out...
No real pattern. I've been really good lately when it comes to sounds. I've never been tricked by them in the past (well, there have been times, but I'll save those story's for Halloween!) and I've been able to find a source for them. The other night I was hearing a baby cry! I knew that is wasn't from the neighbours, this was IN MY HOUSE, but, my baby was asleep all night with her mom.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3500 Post by Caveat Lector »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
mugenjohncel wrote:And just when I finally have a huge block of time to do BG's... I got a nasty flu...

I'm now so close to thinking about chugging that bottle of cough syrup (all I need is to suppress something) to fast track my recovery... :mrgreen:

Edit:
Let's take it as manly as possible and boil a cube of Knorr Chicken Cube in one Liter or Water and see if this helps...

"POOF" (Drops dead)
I feel your pain, Mugen. I'm just getting over bronchitis, the first time I've had it since boot camp a decade ago. I just draw until I feel a coughing spell coming on, lift the stylus, cough myself half to death, then resume drawing. I'd use cough drops, but I'm afraid I'd choke to death during a cough, or spit it through my monitor. And I already HAVE drained by bottle of cough syrup! ... Though not all in one go.
Ugh, that sucks. Get well soon, both of you!
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#3501 Post by Tempus »

Sapphi wrote:Because... recently, some nights while I'm trying to go to sleep, I've been hearing angry/stern voices in my head saying random things to me. Sometimes it's my mother's voice yelling at me. I'm hoping this is normal, and I think it is, because it only happens when I am trying to sleep, but it still freaks me out... :(
That's happened to me before, back in college. Though for me there was a lot of different voices, varying in age and gender... Like with you, it'd only happen when I was just about to fall asleep. They sounded really real too :-\ But it only happened for a while and went away. I think it was due to prolonged sleep deprivation + stress. That, or the "real" world I'm experiencing now is a delusion and I'm still in college flaked out on my bed. But that's too disturbing to contemplate.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3502 Post by Sapphi »

Tempus wrote:
Sapphi wrote:Because... recently, some nights while I'm trying to go to sleep, I've been hearing angry/stern voices in my head saying random things to me. Sometimes it's my mother's voice yelling at me. I'm hoping this is normal, and I think it is, because it only happens when I am trying to sleep, but it still freaks me out... :(
That's happened to me before, back in college. Though for me there was a lot of different voices, varying in age and gender... Like with you, it'd only happen when I was just about to fall asleep. They sounded really real too :-\ But it only happened for a while and went away. I think it was due to prolonged sleep deprivation + stress. That, or the "real" world I'm experiencing now is a delusion and I'm still in college flaked out on my bed. But that's too disturbing to contemplate.
I do notice that it mostly happens when I'm under some amount of stress. It feels kind of like my thoughts want to keep racing (which in turn causes my blood to feel more pressure-y) and it's at those times, that I'm trying to calm myself down, that I "hear" the voices. When first started happening, it was just different voices (again, sometimes recognizably my mom's) yelling or saying my name. And it was like, they would come out of the blue - sometimes I was so startled by them that I would sit up in bed, even though I could tell that they were in my head and not coming from inside the room.

More recently, when it happens, it's not my name anymore but an entire, coherent sentence. I can't actually remember the specific messages I've "heard" (since they are disturbing while I'm trying to sleep and I just want to forget that it happened) but I think they are usually something accusatory. (Why can't they say comforting things to me instead... or at least tell me to do something cool like, "Cut your hair, dress up like a man, and go liberate France from the English!"?)

Anyway, as long as it only happens during the times I am trying to go to sleep, I hope I still qualify as sane.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#3503 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Apparently my best friend is in love with me... and I don't know what to do...
i'll cry if you yell at me

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#3504 Post by JumpJump »

Sapphi wrote:
Tempus wrote:
I do notice that it mostly happens when I'm under some amount of stress. It feels kind of like my thoughts want to keep racing (which in turn causes my blood to feel more pressure-y) and it's at those times, that I'm trying to calm myself down, that I "hear" the voices. When first started happening, it was just different voices (again, sometimes recognizably my mom's) yelling or saying my name. And it was like, they would come out of the blue - sometimes I was so startled by them that I would sit up in bed, even though I could tell that they were in my head and not coming from inside the room.

More recently, when it happens, it's not my name anymore but an entire, coherent sentence. I can't actually remember the specific messages I've "heard" (since they are disturbing while I'm trying to sleep and I just want to forget that it happened) but I think they are usually something accusatory. (Why can't they say comforting things to me instead... or at least tell me to do something cool like, "Cut your hair, dress up like a man, and go liberate France from the English!"?)

Anyway, as long as it only happens during the times I am trying to go to sleep, I hope I still qualify as sane.
All this talk of stress made me realise that I need to cut myself some slack. Things are making a bit more sense now. I'm going to dedicate myself to drawing for the next few days and relax.
silverpikachu99 wrote:Apparently my best friend is in love with me... and I don't know what to do...
For the love of everything small and fluffy, don't rush anything.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]

#3505 Post by Caveat Lector »

I "love" it when (Western) otaku use the "But Japan's okay with it!" card against literally ANY form of criticism against a particular anime or manga despite having never a) been to Japan, b) taken a cultural studies course, or c) read a book about Japanese culture. :roll: Apparently, their philosophy is "if something happens in an anime or manga, that means it's a normal part of Japanese culture and we should just accept it without actually doing any research on the fanbase's reaction OR modern-day Japan". The one example of this off the top of my head is the ending to the Bunny Drop manga. Apparently, if you didn't like it, you're a bigot who just doesn't understand Japanese culture. (FYI, from what I understand, the Japanese fanbase hated the manga's ending, too, or at the very least was divisive over it)
Reader Beware!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3506 Post by MaiMai »

Caveat Lector wrote:I "love" it when (Western) otaku use the "But Japan's okay with it!" card against literally ANY form of criticism against a particular anime or manga despite having never a) been to Japan, b) taken a cultural studies course, or c) read a book about Japanese culture. :roll: Apparently, their philosophy is "if something happens in an anime or manga, that means it's a normal part of Japanese culture and we should just accept it without actually doing any research on the fanbase's reaction OR modern-day Japan". The one example of this off the top of my head is the ending to the Bunny Drop manga. Apparently, if you didn't like it, you're a bigot who just doesn't understand Japanese culture. (FYI, from what I understand, the Japanese fanbase hated the manga's ending, too, or at the very least was divisive over it)
Oh my god, I want to end anyone who thought anything about Usagi Drops ending in the manga was acceptable.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3507 Post by LVUER »

MaiMai wrote:Oh my god, I want to end anyone who thought anything about Usagi Drops ending in the manga was acceptable.
Errr... actually I love the Usagi Drops ending... please don't kill me.
Caveat Lector wrote:I "love" it when (Western) otaku use the "But Japan's okay with it!" card against literally ANY form of criticism against a particular anime or manga despite having never a) been to Japan, b) taken a cultural studies course, or c) read a book about Japanese culture. :roll: Apparently, their philosophy is "if something happens in an anime or manga, that means it's a normal part of Japanese culture and we should just accept it without actually doing any research on the fanbase's reaction OR modern-day Japan". The one example of this off the top of my head is the ending to the Bunny Drop manga. Apparently, if you didn't like it, you're a bigot who just doesn't understand Japanese culture. (FYI, from what I understand, the Japanese fanbase hated the manga's ending, too, or at the very least was divisive over it)
I don't think like that, btw.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#3508 Post by ShippoK »

LVUER wrote: Errr... actually I love the Usagi Drops ending... please don't kill me. Ummm, we're talking about the manga version, right?
LVUER, do you need to tell us something? :wink:

@CaveatLector
The ending did really ruin the whole point of the series.
But I am more interested to where you started hearing this Caveat Lector. I never heard of people saying such things before.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3509 Post by MaiMai »

LVUER wrote:
MaiMai wrote:Oh my god, I want to end anyone who thought anything about Usagi Drops ending in the manga was acceptable.
Errr... actually I love the Usagi Drops ending... please don't kill me.
Eh, okay you're fine LVUER. It's like what ShippoK though, the ending ruined the point of the whole series. It wasn't even a 180, it was a 360 turn for me personally even though I will admit it was at least handled maturely.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran

#3510 Post by Caveat Lector »

ShippoK wrote:The ending did really ruin the whole point of the series.
But I am more interested to where you started hearing this Caveat Lector. I never heard of people saying such things before.
The ANN forums. I remember it was one of the Talkback forums for a review of one of the manga volumes. Interestingly, it was NOT for the volume where everything goes to hell, but for the earlier volumes. And, well, you know how internet comments are in general--almost 90% of the time the comments either fixate on one particular comment the author made and act as though it was the sole discussion point, or get into an argument that has nothing to do with the article. There should be a name for that.

But anyway, yeah, I've heard that argument raised on that forum, and yes, some people did call it out on the BS that it was. There were other arguments in favour of the ending, the most predominant one being (spoiler for the last volume coming up):
"They weren't blood-related so it's totally okay and not incest at all!"
However, the "some people are just bigots and/or prudes who don't understand Japanese culture" made me facepalm.

Yeah, a lot of the Talkback threads, especially in response to a review for a controversial anime or manga, or a fanservice show, tend to attract some of the most WTF responses ever. They're not actually defending a culture so much as they are using someone else's culture to justify liking something other people find creepy. I'm certain there's a term for that but it slips my mind.
Reader Beware!