Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3511 Post by PyTom »

Can someone post a spoilered version of the ending, please? I kind of want to know what the fuss is about.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3512 Post by MaiMai »

PyTom wrote:Can someone post a spoilered version of the ending, please? I kind of want to know what the fuss is about.
From a Mangafox forum user who summarizes it nicely.
"Later, Rin confesses that she had feelings for Daikichi, and of course he freaks out. At the end of the fiasco (which is after Rin graduates) Rin becomes very adamant about staying by Daikichi and taking care of him for the rest of his life. And they decide to get married."
Yup.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Armee
Veteran

#3513 Post by Armee »

I got a tearful moment when I listen to Burning Up by Jonas Brother. It made me think about my past and how much I love it back then. I remembered the old Disney with a lot of classic series that I like. I missed the Miley Cyrus who doesn't have any scandals, the time when you talk about JB and it's Jonas Brother instead of Justin Bieber. I missed my childhood and wish I wasn't growing up so fast.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#3514 Post by Deji »

I'm frustrated, because I can't tell the world about the happiest thing that has been going on in my life lately because they may just frown at me instead of being happy with me.
So for now, I can only gush about it to my boyfriend and some of my closest friends. I wish I could share it with the word and not care, but I'm too afraid of being judged by the people I love or even by strangers, and more than anything, of people judging other people involved in this happiness; I can deal with my own feelings, but I wouldn't be able to handle people giving ugly stares or judging, making feel uncomfortable or even talking badly about other people involved in this happiness of mine.
That's actually one of the reasons why I just don't shout it to the world, since I want to protect that ._.

Sorry for the vagueness ^^;;

edit: On a life update kind of things, for those that have been following my ups and downs in m love life with my boyfriend (lol), I NO LONGER WANT TO GET MARRIED xDDDD

I realized he was right, in a way... I wanted to marry him for the 'wrong reasons', I was really focused and rather obsessed with that ("we've been together for so long, we should get married already", "my life goal is getting married and have kids and I'm getting older" and "we're living together, and I don't want to just live together without being married") and the thing is there wasn't a real, loving reason behind it. I didn't want to marry HIM because I LOVED HIM and because I wanted to spend our lives together and start a family... which should be the reasons i should have to want to marry somebody, right?
So i got rid of my 'wrong' reasons and I realized I don't know if I have the right reasons there yet? I feel like I don't really know what I want to do with my life at this point, even if I'm 30, and I want to know that before anything else. I'm not lost with life, it's just... for the first time in my life I feel super free and like I can do *anything* without anybody pressuring me or tying me down or without feeling I have to fulfill roles or expectations...
So my Bf was really relieved when I told him all of the above. because he feels kind of the same way.

So we decided we'll just play it by ear and maybe find out what we want to do with our lives together. And not getting married for the time being.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#3515 Post by JumpJump »

I'm leaving in a few hours and going to spend the weekend with my brothers. While The travel is going to be uncomfortable, It was going to be worth it, I have not seen them in over a year. But, I just found out that my estranged farther will be there. Now knowing this I am more then prepared to drop the whole thing. I am ashamed to know that he is my farther.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3516 Post by Caveat Lector »

As much as TV Tropes gets praised around here, one thing that really, really drives me crazy about that site is the attitude of some tropers towards anyone who doesn't like whatever's hot in their niche (like bashing and trying to discredit Roger Ebert for not liking video games), or towards anything that doesn't specifically cater to their niche. And don't get me started on the tropers who use examples and YMMV pages as their personal "why this character/my least favourite TGWTG contributor/humanity as a whole sucks" soapbox.

I could rant about the subject, but pretty much anything else that's been said to criticize the site has already been said elsewhere. I don't agree with one-hundred percent of these complaints, and some of them do tend to get carried away, but ultimately, my main problem is the attitude of some of the users, not the idea behind the main site itself.

PS Disclaimer: I am certain the majority of users on this site who do contribute to TV Tropes do not display the attitudes I just described. This is about the tropers who do, not the ones who don't.

EDIT: In other news...I heard a rumour that someone is apparently trying to found "Geek Pride Day"? :shock:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3517 Post by MaiMai »

@Caveat Lector: Yeah, I would say I like the site itself since it's really fun to read through especially if you're reviewing or refreshing your mind about certain video games, shows, movies, or anime/manga, but I would never ever take the TVTropes members seriously.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3518 Post by Sapphi »

I have a really hard decision to make.
All logic in me tells me that it's for the best, but it hurts.

Hopefully I can postpone the inevitable until a more convenient time for me to have a breakdown.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#3519 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

@Caveat Lector: As a TVTroper who has been on that site since its birth and one who has made several tropes, I can honestly say...I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don't go to the forums there anymore for the reasons you stated.

TVTropes has changed so much over the years (both good and bad) in the archive size and popularity. It's a great site, but man...sometimes, I swear.

Honest Critique

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#3520 Post by Didules »

Right now I'm a student in competitive stream and it's really sickening. The way people see "studying together" is all about "taking from the others" and never about "sharing what we all know to do a better job". I hate this kind of thinking. And I feel cheated.

Faze
Regular

#3521 Post by Faze »

One thing that really upsets me:

Shaders. I'll elaborate--I'm using Unity for some stuff so that I have 3D(but sorta 2D looking) backgrounds and 2D characters. That's working great so far. The only issue? Well, that would be the lighting. I really liked the idea of 3D lighting affecting 2D sprites because, hey, it sounded neat. The big issue is that my shaders just freak the hell out with some setups and start glitching out like crazy :lol:

The story is a murder mystery and one of the characters' 2D stuff reacts so poorly to the shading that I'm having to muster up every little bit of willpower I have not to kill off this character early on just for the sake of avoiding having to deal with the shading issues. I know, I know! I won't do that! But still!

It's kind of hard to get this across without 3D movement, but I'm in a computer without my usual .gif recording software so it will have to do.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/5fkkk2t4.th5.png
http://iforce.co.nz/i/yu3plhbt.1pg.png

First link is unshaded, second has a basic shader that just changes the contrast and brightness a bit depending on the player position. The issue with the shading is that...for example, look at the bright green light between the coffins between the characters. It looks a bit...pixelated. Which would be fine if it was just a matter of the shader needing a little adjustement or two, but the big issue is in how the 3D model was modeled.

I commissioned 2D art, then made a 3D background and used the 2D art as a UV map(I did my fair share of editing and 3D witchcraft to make this work, mind you) which by definition means I have to stretch some points of the texture to make it look natural. Which looks fine for the most part, but when you have to give a translucent material to one of those parts...then the stretched bits look a bit off, especially at higher resolutions. So to fix this I have to do extra 3D witchcraft, which is more annoying than just writing shaders.

In addition, I'm doing this with the full knowledge most people playing the game wouldn't even notice that. But it annoys me to no end and I shall dedicate an unhealthy amount of time to fix it, dammit.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#3522 Post by TsukiShima »

Dear mom and dad, forgive me, for I'm in love... with a girl.

I've confessed just a few minutes ago. Okay, fine, it's an internet thing. But I've been holding it for so long that I couldn't stand it. I spurted them out, and finally told her the whole truth. In return, she said wasn't certain of her feelings (ouch) but she said she was going to give me a chance, at least. (She was straight, heck, I was straight. We both didn't expect to like each other). I'm planning to collect money and meet her in person one day, and prove to her that my love is real.
And to think I'm one of those people who thinks love between same sexes is impossible.

Ughh... I'm sure some of you are thinking "oh internet love again this won't last", but I'm very determined here.

dcieve_

#3523 Post by dcieve_ »

It's my first time in the forum, and then I stumbled across this thread...

mmust... rresist... rrant... inggg....... Oh well, it wouldn't hurt anyway.

So basically, I'm bored. Not something people usually want to feel when there are homework piling up your desk. And then there goes the tight curriculum this semester. And all I want is to try something new, out of my daily routine. And one thing, making a complete game. But still I didn't feel the urge to get things done. So what makes a man tried really hard on something? A challenge, the ultimate one, is all I need... :lol: (and teammates)

khfan12
Regular
Completed: Clarity, a MH KN
Projects: "With You", Truculence

#3524 Post by khfan12 »

dcieve_ wrote: A challenge, the ultimate one, is all I need... (and teammates)
*raises hand shyly*
I'd be on that team! :3
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Clarity - MH KN- Solo Project
Projects:
With You (working title) - Lead Writer/Concept/ETC
Truculence- Concept Artist, Proofreader

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3525 Post by Reikun »

My schedule this semester has somehow spiraled into a vicious cycle of weekly all-nighters and an endless cycle of submitting work, getting too much work, falling behind on work, catching up on work. Ugh. It's really draining OTL And now a new art exhibition just opened up at my uni and I have squeeze that in too outside of class time and with all this stuff I'm just wondering when I'm gonna find time to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Feeling alone in all this chaos since I'm the only one going to school now so suddenly nobody at home cares about me anymore (I wonder if part of it is the fact that I'm an art major. My work must be easy, right?!) And I can't believe it's only the beginning of October............. I'm silently waiting for Nov 11 just so I can have a 3 day weekend OTL I'm really scared of this month. I hope I can make it work u__u;
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter