Linked Pathways

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Linked Pathways

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Stumbled on this visual novel WIP while looking at Kickstarter today. It doesn't have a demo at this time, so I won't link to it.

Some concerns which I'll mention to the creators in a couple of minutes:

* It has a Google doc with some details about characters, but no information about plot or setting.
* It sounds like they plan to emphasize story, but I don't know whether there will be any complex gameplay.
* Likewise, I don't know how long the story will be, or how many branches / endings it will include.
* What's the intended rating?
* Will it be freeware or an indie game?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Linked Pathways

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

According to the creator's statements on Kickstarter, Linked Pathways will have:

* a fictional but relatively realistic world
* no complex gameplay
* at least six endings
* no NSFW content
* a modest cost (in other words, it would be an indie game)

I would like to be enthusiastic, but the project has just under $300 funded with a $5000 goal, and just over a week left.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Linked Pathways

#3 Post by SundownKid »

There are really some major issues with information, or should I say, lack thereof. All that's really told about the game is that it's a dating sim, which is like saying "give me money and I'll write a sci-fi novel". Unless you're super famous, it's probably not going to work. (CoughTimSchaferCough) Comparing it to Katawa Shoujo opens up a whole new can of worms, since it's technically an eroge and that is definitely something that will determine your audience and age rating.

A story description is desperately needed here, for sure. I wouldn't buy a book or game with no plot info, so there's not really any reason to back it.