Two Wet Leaves [Comedy/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2014]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
2dt
Regular

Two Wet Leaves [Comedy/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2014]

#1 Post by 2dt »

Two Wet Leaves
Boy and girl discuss their stupid f*cking problems.

Hey all, 2dt here adding my work, Two Wet Leaves, to the already extensive list of NaNoRenO 2014 entries. Some of you who follow the Creator Discussion thread may recognize me as the guy behind the new EVEN visual novel engine (Thread here). This story will be EVEN's first public demo of it's capabilities, as well as my own debut into the world of visual novels.

The story is a colorful, mature, slightly dark comedy about a young man and woman who meet at a bar and develop an immediate attraction to one another (that is, after consuming a few drinks of course). However, thanks to some slight external interferences, as well as their own colorful personalities, their evening slowly escalates into a set of hilariously tense and awkwardly ridiculous situations. Enjoy watching seemingly intelligent people exhibit astonishingly stupid behavior.

This game will be about 40 minutes to an hour long. In the game, you will make only one choice. And it may very well be the most memorable choice in your VN gaming career.

Synopsis
Langley works as an assistant product manager at Shady Goods, an e-tailor that sells sex-related paraphernalia at dangerously suspect thrift store prices. Amusing as that might be, that's of no relevance to this story. Tonight, he spends his evening at a local bar, where he drinks away the pains and struggles of his admittedly shitty line of work. There, he meets a beautiful young woman. And they chat the night away.

Current Progress
  • Story/Script: 100%
    Artwork: 40%
    Music: 0%
    Programming: 50% (engine first, then content)
    Logos and Promo Art: 0%
Character Descriptions and Concept Sketches

Langley Shimmering
An astonishingly simple dude. Despite his lazy and unenthusiastic appearance, he's a hard worker, and can at times be very clever and intuitive. Which is not exactly unusual for a normal person anyway.

Marie Bloomingston
Heiress to a very wealthy and powerful family. Beautiful, elegant, dashing, she has a down to earth personality that completely belies aristocratic demeanor. She's the girl that guys want to fuck AND marry. She's perfect. Spotlessly perfect. Majestically perfect. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her at all.

Kate Beams
A bartender who's very insecure about her awkward personality.

"Virginia" Bloomingston
Marie's little brother sister. She has a bit of a longstanding grudge against Marie. For reasons unknown to science, she speaks of herself in the third person.

More characters and info to come...
    Last edited by 2dt on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

2dt
    Regular

Re: Two Wet Leaves [Comedy/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2014]

#2 Post by 2dt »

Update: added Kate Beams to character roster preview.

2dt
    Regular

#3 Post by 2dt »

Added progress counter (seems like everyone's doing it).

AbhorrentFear
    Regular
    Projects: Dear. Mr God

#4 Post by AbhorrentFear »

I like the art so far, haha. Those positions *^* also daaaaang Langley's hips don't lie

I like the concept so far as well, simple, but I feel you have a lot to go with, I suppose. People with problems getting together is always fun, I guess xD looking forward to seeing more progress on this, good luck!~
    "Draw me a monster. Now tell me, why is it a monster?"

Googaboga
    Eileen-Class Veteran
    Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
    Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
    Organization: GB Patch Games
    Tumblr: gb-patch
    itch: gbpatch

#5 Post by Googaboga »

Well I'm very curious as to what this one choice could be. And the characters all seem interesting to far :].
    In-Progress:
    Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
    Released:
    A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

2dt
    Regular

#6 Post by 2dt »

AbhorrentFear wrote:I like the art so far, haha. Those positions *^* also daaaaang Langley's hips don't lie

I like the concept so far as well, simple, but I feel you have a lot to go with, I suppose. People with problems getting together is always fun, I guess xD looking forward to seeing more progress on this, good luck!~
    LOL his hips were a byproduct of accidentally exaggerating this leaning motion too much. I just decided to stick with it for the hell of it.
    Googaboga wrote:Well I'm very curious as to what this one choice could be. And the characters all seem interesting to far :].
    Never in your wildest dreams would you guess what it is. Trust me on that one.

2dt
    Regular

#7 Post by 2dt »

Updated story progress to 20% completion. Also posting and excerpt from the intro monologue for your guys' amusement:

When we were young, the authority figures in our lives went to great lengths to drill into our heads that we need an education to do just about everything in life. Get a job. Be successful. Be an upstanding citizen. Take a shit. Eat cereal. Marry someone of the opposite sex. I once had an adult tell me you couldn't breathe without an education.

Yeah. No fucking joke. You'd think that was just hyperbole or something. But in order to demonstrate the truth to his statement, he reached into my book bag-- this was when I was 12 mind you, riding on the public bus to school-- took a book out, and said "see, this is education. I’m breathing right now." He then dropped the book. "Oh god… I can't breathe!" He screamed at the top of his longs. "Some-body… Plea..Please… Help. Me. Please… Give me back... the book... so I can breathe again!"

Not gonna lie. I was pretty fucking scared. It was only the second time I had ever ridden on a public bus. None of my classmates who were riding the same bus did anything about it. Lord knows the adults didn't do anything, thinking to themselves "oh it's not my problem. I've got my own shit to worry about". The only thing the bus driver did was start shouting something nonsensical over the intercom.

So, I was 12 years old, this 40-something year old balding dude, who was probably a child molester, suddenly takes a book from me, has an artificially induced asthma attack right in front of me, and starts shouting at me, begging me to help him breathe by picking up the book he dropped and giving it back to him. Yes, the book that originally belonged to me. No one offers to help. I was on my own. I realized then that this was what my aunt meant when she used broad terms like "coming of age" and "the real world". I had to use all the wit and cunning at my disposal to resolve this situation on my own. Like a grown-up would.

So, how did the situation resolve itself?

That's a story for another time.

What I'm trying to say is that at some point in my life, and I'm not quite sure when that was, I began to believe that having a college education was the solution to all of life's problems. I'm sure most of my peers had a similar life development sequence.

2dt
    Regular

#8 Post by 2dt »

Update story progress to 70%, and art progress to 20%. Also added the final character to the roster, Virginia.

The Scribbler

#9 Post by The Scribbler »

Virginia isn't talking in third person in her character sketch. :( But she wears a <s>magician's</s> top hat! Top hats are awesome.

There's something impudent about the writing excerpts in here, I'm intrigued. Another one to add to my play list from NaNo this year. :3
    And you're also using it to showcase your engine, eh? Good luck, it's always good to see new engines develop. I hope it (the engine) will handle animations and loads of buttons better than Ren'Py does, for instance - some games really kill laptops batteries when loads of animations happen.

2dt
    Regular

#10 Post by 2dt »

The Scribbler wrote:Virginia isn't talking in third person in her character sketch. :( But she wears a <s>magician's</s> top hat! Top hats are awesome.
    LOL it's funny you say that because I spent a lot of time trying to differentiate between when she refers to herself in third vs first person. When she "speaks" (the explicit wording used in the description), she refers to herself in third person. When she "thinks" she refers to herself normally, which was my intention with the concept picture. But I guess it's not that obvious now that you point it out. Thanks for that.
    The Scribbler wrote:There's something impudent about the writing excerpts in here, I'm intrigued. Another one to add to my play list from NaNo this year. :3
    Impudent is an surprisingly accurate way to describe it, now that I think about it.
    The Scribbler wrote:And you're also using it to showcase your engine, eh? Good luck, it's always good to see new engines develop. I hope it (the engine) will handle animations and loads of buttons better than Ren'Py does, for instance - some games really kill laptops batteries when loads of animations happen.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... deo%2c.mp4

This is a video demo animating 2000 sprites of boy/fiend moving in random circles, each scaled randomly, and tinted randomly every frame. Each can be touched or clicked, like a button for example. For more info on the engine, visit the thread in my signature.

The Scribbler

#11 Post by The Scribbler »

Sorry, I can't post there because I don't have an account. I'm bohemian like that.

Is negative velocity going to be used to do rollback? I don't think I've seen any specific statement about rollback or readback, but I might have missed it. Apologies if that's the case.
    (Do you have a site somewhere? Once NaNo is finished I'm off again. It would be nice to follow your engine's development and maybe - maybe - even give feedback.)

2dt
    Regular

#12 Post by 2dt »

The Scribbler wrote:Sorry, I can't post there because I don't have an account. I'm bohemian like that.
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you don't have an account? It seems a pretty straightforward easy thing to do?
    The Scribbler wrote:Is negative velocity going to be used to do rollback? I don't think I've seen any specific statement about rollback or readback, but I might have missed it. Apologies if that's the case.
    (Do you have a site somewhere? Once NaNo is finished I'm off again. It would be nice to follow your engine's development and maybe - maybe - even give feedback.)
    It can be used for rollback. Negative velocity is literally like pressing the rewind button on a DVD player, makes the scene play backward at any speed you want. As such, there are two logical ways to do rollbacks:
    1. Negative velocity
    2. Flip to previous page - a progression's timeline is divided into segments called pages. Flipping a page occurs when, for example, the dialogue finishes and user is prompted to press enter to advance the story.
    Using negative velocity would result in a very smooth and slick rewind look, and when the user presses PageUp for example, the scene will animate backward ~5x until it reaches the beginning of the previous page, then stops waiting for user to do something.

Using the standard page flip is much more like what Ren'py does. Simply goes back to beginning of the previous page. No animation, just instant.

I'm still debating which one I'll do by default. Probably the negative velocity, because it looks prettier and it more obviously shows what's happening.

Of course, the beauty of this engine is that if you know javascript you can easily program any behavior you want. The whole concept of velocity is centered around letting you get really creative with how you manipulate time in the scene.

Also, follow http://2dtactics.tumblr.com/. It's empty right now because I haven't had time to set it up, but once Nano is over, I'll set that up and update it regularly.

Thanks for asking!

The Scribbler

#13 Post by The Scribbler »

Eeeeh, reasons. :)

Thanks for the answer! I followed your Tumblr right away. I'll be eagerly waiting for updates after NaNo, then! So far, of the alternative engines I've kept my eye on is the one that looks most promising!

2dt
    Regular

#14 Post by 2dt »

Story/script now finished. Woohoo! Some hilarious shit.

Will post more game art soon.

2dt
    Regular

#15 Post by 2dt »

Art now at 65%. An in-game sketch foundation for Marie sitting at the bar.