Website/Blog for Showcasing Various Visual Novel GUI

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
kaeruranawa
Regular
Completed: Times Up: Turn the Page!
Organization: Noveleap

Re: Website/Blog for Showcasing Various Visual Novel GUI

#16 Post by kaeruranawa »

The basic functionality of the site is done! You can add games, and then add GUI screens once you're added a game.

Here's an example of a page for a single game, using the game I finished for NaNoRenO and 1 GUI screen: http://www.kaerumusic.com/guiproject/ga ... -the-page/

I'm going to add some more games later when I have time, but anyone can add a game right now actually since all the forms are working. Also just wanted to show the site was actually done and I'm open to design/functionality/whatever else feedback.

Head programmer of NoveLeap. Founder, Developer and Designer of the VN GUI Project.

Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#17 Post by Hijiri »

Would it be egotistical to post our own? Or is that fair game too?
And what about GUI's that aren't a part of a project, but are CC?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

kaeruranawa
Regular

#18 Post by kaeruranawa »

Hijiri wrote:Would it be egotistical to post our own? Or is that fair game too?
Definitely fair game, and it's more efficient if people post their own games because they have all the resources, actually. ;)

And for CC GUIs, do you mean ones that aren't in a game but free for use like in the Creative Commons forums?
Hmm..... it could be useful to have a separate section for those resources. I'll think about how to organize it and if it's do-able and there's some demand I can implement it.

EDIT: If there's any confusion or comments you have while you're editing or adding, or just looking around the site in general, please let me know! I did all the design and development work, so I'll do my best to fix things.

Head programmer of NoveLeap. Founder, Developer and Designer of the VN GUI Project.

Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#19 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Oh this is awesome ^^ thank you very much for taking the time to make this!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#20 Post by Hijiri »

kaeruranawa wrote:
Hijiri wrote:Would it be egotistical to post our own? Or is that fair game too?
Definitely fair game, and it's more efficient if people post their own games because they have all the resources, actually. ;)

And for CC GUIs, do you mean ones that aren't in a game but free for use like in the Creative Commons forums?
Hmm..... it could be useful to have a separate section for those resources. I'll think about how to organize it and if it's do-able and there's some demand I can implement it.

EDIT: If there's any confusion or comments you have while you're editing or adding, or just looking around the site in general, please let me know! I did all the design and development work, so I'll do my best to fix things.
Suggest you eliminate the comment stuff in the submission page. Accidentally commented instead of submitting Orz
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#21 Post by chocojax »

Is there a way to make the studio/artists checklist more compact? Cause, once there are a lot more submissions, that list is gonna get pretty long. '3'...

kaeruranawa
Regular

#22 Post by kaeruranawa »

Hijiri wrote:Suggest you eliminate the comment stuff in the submission page. Accidentally commented instead of submitting Orz
Whoops, sorry about that! I fixed it so comments don't appear on any of the form pages now. Should've done that earlier... orz
chocojax wrote:Is there a way to make the studio/artists checklist more compact? Cause, once there are a lot more submissions, that list is gonna get pretty long. '3'...
I can turn it into a selection box once things get more populated...

Image Image

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#23 Post by Sharm »

This is really awesome as is, but by any chance do you think there could be a way to compare specific elements between games? For example, if I wanted to compare how someone did a save screen or only look at dialogue boxes.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

kaeruranawa
Regular

#24 Post by kaeruranawa »

Sharm wrote:This is really awesome as is, but by any chance do you think there could be a way to compare specific elements between games? For example, if I wanted to compare how someone did a save screen or only look at dialogue boxes.
I was thinking of doing this at some point.... But you see there's a page for All Games right now? I was thinking of having an All GUI Screens page, or something similar.

Sometime this week I want to make it so you can do an advanced search using different filters, though. Once that works on All Games I might consider doing it on an All GUI Screens page....

Image Image

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#25 Post by Sharm »

That's great! This page is going to be super useful!
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

2dt
Regular

#26 Post by 2dt »

Is there going to be a "common GUIs" guide or article made for your website at some point? I ask because I'm developing a visual novel engine (info in my signature). While it's designed to be infinitely customizable, I realize most people won't be bothered to learn it deep enough to actually take advantage of its customizability. As such, I need I would need to develop a "generic" template that would cover 95% of authors' use cases.

As such, a guide denoting the "common" and "uncommon/unique" uses of visual novel GUIs would be immensely helpful.

kaeruranawa
Regular

#27 Post by kaeruranawa »

SOME UPDATES.....

Added new GUI Screen types: Text History, Extras Gallery, Extras Menu, and Game Menu (in-game menu).

Also added in the basic Katawa Shoujo images.

Super cool and helpful thing: Added a 'Feedback' tab that shows up to the left of all pages (unless you're on a mobile device). If you click this tab, you can request games and features on the site. Also, if you see anything on the list you want me to put on higher priority, all you need to do is give it a thumbs up. The more of those I get, the more likely I'll do it. You can all comment on things too, in case you want to bring my attention to something specific. Anyone can submit something, vote, and comment! This is just better for me to gauge interest in different things.
2dt wrote:As such, a guide denoting the "common" and "uncommon/unique" uses of visual novel GUIs would be immensely helpful.
If there are any articles written, they'll have to be written by other people. I don't have any time to write stuff myself.

Image Image

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#28 Post by PyTom »

As a minor point of feedback, the site seems to load very slowly. It looks like you're not scaling down any of the thumbnail images. I'd suggest producing your own thumbnails, and only loading the full-size images if the user asks for them.

Alo, there are actually 6 possible imagemap images in Ren'Py - ground, insensitive, idle, hover, selected idle, and selected hover. You'd need all of them to truly represent an imagemap gui. (And non-imagemap guis like KS's seem kind of out of place.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom