Star Trek: Voyager NOW RECRUITING

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

Star Trek: Voyager NOW RECRUITING

#1 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Alright, we are siriously understaffed.

I need the following for current and future games.

Mini Game Programmer (1)

Artists (1-2)

(possibly) Audio artist (1)
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Re: Star Trek: Voyager NOW RECRUITING

#2 Post by Der Tor »

I am none of that, but i am a BIG StarTrek fan. Basicly watched all the episodes when i was a kid... the sad thing is though that MOST COMMERCIAL StarTrek games don't get that StarTrek is about telling a moral tale by using analogies (basicly like Guilivers Travels).

Well i used to programm a lot of "mini-games" on Visual Basic, but that was a LONG time ago. But for any potential programmer it would be kinda important to know what exactly you need.

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#3 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Ahhh. ur totally right.

Ok, the games are either 2-D side scrollers (for ship to ship combat, navigating asteroid fields and the like)

or top down where you have to seal conduits and the like.

And since ur a trekkie, wanna help with story development?
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Der Tor »

sure...

ya can e-mail me: hoerth (at) H3C (dot) de or maybe it would also be smart to post a bit of the story here.

an remember boy,,, treat her like a Lady, an she'l always bring ya home (-:

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#5 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Well the story line is pretty simple.

You play a science officer who is very knoledgeable in plasma storms. During this time a maquis ship was fored into the badlands so you have been assigned to the newly comissioned starship the "USS Voyager". In 3rd hour of their mission a horrible turn of events sends you and your shipmates 70,000 lightyears away from home. Now you must make it up the ranks from the lowly redshirt ranked ensign to a senior staff officer.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Der Tor »

if you do an approage like that, maybe it's best to actually take one of the many redshirts on Voyager, instead of making up a completely new charachter. Cause if you make up yet another minor charachter for Voyager (when the ship allready has only 100 crewman but more than 200 minor charachters), it's gonna be too strange for the player, cause he won't know what part of the story is canon, and what is fanfiction, and most likely your story will conflict with the events in the series.

I suggest using the female red shirt from ashes to ashes or someone similar (and there are MANY red shirts who we get to see in only one episode, and even have names, and intresting character trades to build on... and most of them don't even die! So it's gonna be intresting for the fans to see what happend to the charachter before and after that one episode in which we see him on the series)

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#7 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

True, but with your own character there r no real cannon standards set making for a more open ended expirence.

Also, I plan to make "episodes" not made in the original series. So far I only have 1 that comes to mind at the moment where Janeway goes on a survay of a planet and leaves you in command to get you used to making decisons. Since this race doesn't seem hostile it makes it should make for an easy mission. But as you'll learn things arn't always what they seem.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Der Tor »

can i see your storyboard, or script or whatever it is ya got?

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#9 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

of course. I'll Pm it to you when it's in a presentable format. Right now its pretty jumbled...hell i think i may have some math homework in it from last night. ^^'

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#10 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

of course. I'll Pm it to you when it's in a presentable format. Right now its pretty jumbled...hell i think i may have some math homework in it from last night. ^^'

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Der Tor »

So you really wanna do a StarTrek vissual-novel? Cool... complete with anime style Characters? I can't wait to see the anime version of Kes (well actually she pretty much looked like an anime-character allready :-)

So i have read ya script... here are some of the things which i think need improvement:

"Janeway: Would you rather stay in this quadrant for the rest of your life?" Think about this sentemce and the context again... it doesn't make lots of sense to me. (a red shirt is hardly the only one available to comand the bridge, so him taking command can hardly be called necesarry step in getting to the Alpha-Quadrant).

"Player: No sir. Thank you.
[Janeway smiles]"

This is illogical... Janeway hates being called "Sir"... she would not smile upon hering this from a red-shirt.

"Janeway: Good! See you in two days. Oh, and don’t get to comfy in that chair."

Janeway does not use the word comfy... she would use: "don't get too comfortable in that chair"

"Lt. Powter: First off you have to do your rounds."

If he has taken command of the bridge - than except under special curcumstance, he should be commanding the bridge. (keep in mind that their is a difference between taking command of the ship and becoming Captain... he is still just a Leutanant, if his Captain orders him to take command of the bridge, than he should do that)

But now the most important thing... the ship, the crew, the enviroment, the future and even this entire fictitious Universe have but ONE purpose: to serve as plot devices for you to tell your story, and get your messege across. You have to keep ya priorities straight. The ship, the enviroment, the universe - all exist and can be freely changed to enable you to say the things you want to say. For example if ya wanna critizise the Vietnam war, you let Kirk stumble upon a Planet, which has such a war going on (like was done in countless TOS episodes).

But if there is nothing you want to convey to the viewer, than there is no need for a story, no need for characters, no need for ships, no need for planets - no need for the universe.

So the first thing you have to do is to think of what it is that you want your story to convey to the audiance. If you have not done that, your project will undaubtably become a failure.

I don't wanna discourage you. In fact i want to encourage you to really do this in a responsible way, because i would really love to see this project get realized, so i have to tell you the necessary steps in order to realize it, and what i just told you was the first step.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Der Tor »

Oh, and than of course there is the most important thing. As it was allways said on this board: DON'T PLAN TOO BIG!!!

If you plan a gigantic project, but it never gets finished, what's the point? You should start small in order to get the hang of it. Like maybe a scenario in which the Doctor asks Seven for a date, or Neelix has to try to get rid of his jealousy in order to prevent Kes from breaking up with him, or maybe a little program in which the player can ask Q philosophical questions, or a scenario in which Q meets trilane etc. There are so many possibiities for short scenarios... and a short scenario that you finish, is WAY better than an epic that never gets off the planning stage.

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#13 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

[quoteThis is illogical... Janeway hates being called "Sir"... she would not smile upon hering this from a red-shirt.
][/quote]
o.O

Holy heck! I totally forgot about that! I shall change the wording.
"Janeway: Would you rather stay in this quadrant for the rest of your life?" Think about this sentemce and the context again... it doesn't make lots of sense to me. (a red shirt is hardly the only one available to comand the bridge, so him taking command can hardly be called necesarry step in getting to the Alpha-Quadrant).
Ok. for this one He is only taking command because at this point he has been PROMOTED TO LIEUTENANT! :D (or however u spell it). xD. Anyway. She wants him to take command of the ship because someone needs to command Voyager, and the senior staff is away. So she picked him just to give him expirence. (Much like Harry Kim in the night shift episode).

As to putting an idea across...I actually have that in mind for later on in this episode actually. But my question is....how political can we get here? I mean I understand we can't call Bush names but I mean how close can we get b4 the FCC (or PyTom [if he does that sorta thing]) would say "No."

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Der Tor »

see that's the cool thing about StarTrek. You can say whatever you want, and talk about things you normally could never talk about...
as long as you let it all happen on some other planet, nobody is going to be offended. I mean TOS even went so far as to have a planet called "Zion" and an allien race called the "Zions" who ussually have names like David, Moses etc. which face harsh persecution on the neighboring Planet which just got a new Party called the "Nazi Party" take over controll of the Planet.

But of course i would still advise you to not use the same names (at least not in your case). Maybe you should even avoid any direct reference. Normaly you would pick something in society that you find objectionable and than look at why exactly it is wrong. And than let the same thing happen to your planet (just give it different names) and than at the end you have them realize why they have made a mistake (this way you can tell your audiance why you think certain things are wrong, and how to do them better, without offending any1 cause if someone feels offended, you can allways just say "what's wrong? This has nothing to do with you, it's just something that will happen on the planet "Earthiania" a hundred years from now". (-:

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Der Tor »

only now did i look at your previous StarTrek game (which isn't a StarTrek game) and i must say... I really loved it... i mean okay you stolen everything, but the choices and branches in the story seem to be really interesting, and besides what you stole is also cool, and i also very much liked the story itself.

The only thing is that i couldn't play it, cause everytime it comes to a point where it plays a video, Ren'Py seems to be restarting, and i am back at the beginning )-: