Who is Mike?[Mystery/Thriller,Supernatural]FULL RELEASE!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Who is Mike? [Mystery/Thriller, Comedy]

#16 Post by Googaboga »

1. Would you be interested in playing this game?

Absolutely.

2. What are your expectations?

A simple but entertaining story X3.

3. Any comments/critiques so far?

My comment is that the game sounds fantastic and looks really good too ^^.

4. Would reading the story beforehand encourage you to play the game?

I prefer to wait until a game is done before experiencing the story. So I don't read anything beyond the WiP Thread or play demos.

5. Would you be willing to critique the story at this early stage or is it preferable to do it in beta?

I have no critiquing skills so I wouldn't be able to critique it at any point ':D.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#17 Post by ameliori »

Ran08 wrote:Wow, love the BGs. :) Haha.
Anyway, the word doppelganger caught my eye. :D Plus, I love the genre combination! Hahaha. Rom-com horror is actually my favorite genre combo of all time. <3

So, yeah. Super duper looking forward to this! :) Keep up the good work~
Thanks so much for your feedback, Ran! I told myself I should do those BGs first because if not, I will probably get lazy! I'm glad to know you liked them!

And yes, Romcom/Horror seemed like an interesting mashup and I do love those two genres on their own!
ColaCat wrote:If you need some form of proof-reader I'd be more than happy to help. This is a really good idea for a VN and I'm impressed that it is going to be for free (considering how well produced it all looks).
Thank you so much, ColaCat! You don't know how much I appreciate your offer! Once I'm done with the expressions, I will probably need that service. I hope you keep in touch. Also, thank you for your praise! That's quite a compliment.
Googaboga wrote:
Haha you're our first survey feedback! Thanks for taking your time with it, Googaboga! Such an honor to see that crazy avatar on my thread haha!

++

Update: Mike's expressions are finished! Here's a sample expressions chart. I didn't know it would be such fun to do! Now I've made so many kinds of expressions, I'm not sure I'm going to use all of them! Haha!

Last edited by ameliori on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#18 Post by ColaCat »

You're welcome! I'll keep tabs on this topic. Just PM me when you need my help with anything.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#19 Post by Googaboga »

No problem C:. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful though.

Haha I didn't notice that little change in color on Mike's shirt at the elbow. I like it :]. And those expressions/poses look very nice.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#20 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Can't answer the questions in full now but, just wanted to show my support for this project ^^!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

ameliori
Veteran

#21 Post by ameliori »

ColaCat wrote:You're welcome! I'll keep tabs on this topic. Just PM me when you need my help with anything.
Thank so much, Colacat! I'll PM you :)
Googaboga wrote:No problem C:. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful though.

Haha I didn't notice that little change in color on Mike's shirt at the elbow. I like it :]. And those expressions/poses look very nice.
Thank for the Googaboga. I had my fun with the expressions. I'm sure it will be a pain in the arse to color though hahaha.
Hazel-Bun wrote:Can't answer the questions in full now but, just wanted to show my support for this project ^^!!
Lovely! That made my day! Thanks so much Hazel-bun! It means a lot to me that people are looking forward to this project. It keeps me going and fighting my way through procrastination haha!

++

UPDATE:
Some bad news! I lost the file that I used for color-testing the characters with the background! I regret to report that I've forgotten the coloring process that I used :( I'm really sad because I liked how the character looked in the first color test.

I made a new style, incorporating the rim light that Lesleigh63 suggested before (shout out to them :D), and made the shading a lot simpler. I realized it isn't going to be good as the first test but I thought this would be a quicker way to reach the deadline.

Any thoughts? Do you think I should do it again and aim for the first color test (3-layers of shading) or stick with the current one (2-layers of shading)? Do you think the current one is bad/good/passable? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Here's the new color:

Here's the comparison (colortest-1 vs colortest2)
Last edited by ameliori on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#22 Post by kisa »

I like the new shading.
This may come from being an anime/manga fan... But, I think with minor editing, the new one could be even more realistic than the original.
(Not saying you need to edit it, just pointing out...)

Anyway, apologies for jumping out of the bush and shoving my opinion at you. X'D
This looks interesting, it actually reminds me of a few things I've bounced around in my head before and I'd love to see what someone else can do with it. OuOb
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

ColaCat
Veteran

#23 Post by ColaCat »

I look forward to the PM!

Also, I prefer the new shading.

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#24 Post by Rozume »

This looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished product. ^^;

By the way, I'm really curious of your sprite process; so do you make flats first and then shade them based on the lighting in the background? That's really cool! It makes the sprites seem more realistic looking. But I suppose it's a lot of work, heh.

Anyways, good luck with the project!

Clover0Project

#25 Post by Clover0Project »

Oh my god that genre XD. Do-doppelgangers. And I just talk about it yesterday with my friends 0.o coincidence are scary.
Looks interesting! I like the art as well. I can't really answer all the questions for now, though. But of course I want to play it!
Looking forward for this. Good luck ^^

ameliori
Veteran

#26 Post by ameliori »

kisa wrote:I like the new shading.
This may come from being an anime/manga fan... But, I think with minor editing, the new one could be even more realistic than the original.
(Not saying you need to edit it, just pointing out...)

Anyway, apologies for jumping out of the bush and shoving my opinion at you. X'D
This looks interesting, it actually reminds me of a few things I've bounced around in my head before and I'd love to see what someone else can do with it. OuOb
Thanks so much for your input kisa! There's no problem about your opinions because I asked for it! :P You had some valuable insight to share too, so thanks a lot!

ColaCat wrote:I look forward to the PM!

Also, I prefer the new shading.
Haha looks like people like the new shading! I'm relieved! Yep. I'll just finish the expressions and CGs and I'll contact you. But it might take a couple more weeks, ColaCat. Hope you're still up for it then :D
PhoenixStardust wrote:This looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished product. ^^;

By the way, I'm really curious of your sprite process; so do you make flats first and then shade them based on the lighting in the background? That's really cool! It makes the sprites seem more realistic looking. But I suppose it's a lot of work, heh.

Anyways, good luck with the project!
Thanks Phoenix! You hit the nail right in the head! I make flats and use the same lighting scheme as the background. For this one, I used a blue-violet shadow and a yellowish light source. Here is the little process step-by-step in my art thread so you can see how it looks:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11#p333011

Hope this helps you on your own stuff :)
Clover0Project wrote:Oh my god that genre XD. Do-doppelgangers. And I just talk about it yesterday with my friends 0.o coincidence are scary.
Looks interesting! I like the art as well. I can't really answer all the questions for now, though. But of course I want to play it!
Looking forward for this. Good luck ^^
Hey Clover! It means so much to me that you wanna play the game! And yeah, I've had a couple of ideas get turned into real games or movies! It's kind of awesome. Do you have any expectations for the game? Thanks for dropping by :)
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#27 Post by ColaCat »

Yeah sure! I'm happy to wait! After all, you can't rush good things.

ameliori
Veteran

#28 Post by ameliori »

Thanks @Colacat for your support!

++
UPDATE

Just a heads-up for people waiting for the game since I haven't updated in weeks :D It's not on hiatus. The game is progressing rather nicely, if I say so myself. I just finished the expressions for Mike in the main story. I still have to do all 6 endings (they're all pretty long). After that, it will be Sarah's turn. And then we're on to the bloody process of CG territory!

As a visual incentive, here is the step-by-step coloring process I used for the game!

Hope you continue to support this project!
Last edited by ameliori on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#29 Post by ColaCat »

No problem! And it's nice to see the colouring process too. How long does it take you to do one background?

ameliori
Veteran

#30 Post by ameliori »

ColaCat wrote:No problem! And it's nice to see the colouring process too. How long does it take you to do one background?
Thanks Colacat! The first BG took around a week to make, if I remember correctly (I'm really slow!). The second one was a lot faster because it had less details and I already had the color scheme from the first one.

++

UPDATE:

I'm announcing a two-week hiatus from this project because I've recently joined an intensive oil painting workshop. I just want to assure anybody keeping an eye out that this project will still continue! We're just going to have to adjust the schedule a bit since I wouldn't be working on it for two weeks.

Really sorry for the delay guys! But rest assured I'll resume work once my classes are done! Thanks for supporting this game!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon