Let's Go! Hiragana / Katakana / Hangul [edutainment]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Altsune
Completed: Let's go! Hiragana, Let's go! Katakana, Let's go! Hangul
Organization: Madame Motoko
Github: https://github.com/MadameMotoko
itch: Motoko

Let's Go! Hiragana / Katakana / Hangul [edutainment]

#1 Post by Altsune »

Updates: (6-25-2017)

I've since finished the Hiragana version, threw the Katakana version on Kickstarter, finished it, and it funded the Hangul version.
They're all posted on itch.io, and I'm updating the links because it has been so many years that... Frankly, I forgot!

Shoutouts to chocoberrie for reminding me!

Let's Go! Hiragana
Let's Go! Katakana
Let's Go! Hangul

Updates: (10-18-2014)
I updated my game, thanks to a ton of bugs found on the first few posts
below (and suggestions on Twitter).

There is now a study guide that you can use to study up on before you start.
There were numerous bugfixes on characters that wouldn't vanish, and
corrections to katakana that were flat out wrong. And finally, when you take
a guess at one of the katakana, it actually tells you what the answer was before
moving to the next character.
Thank you everyone for the help!

Description:
“Let’s go! Hiragana” is the first in a series of educational tools that I’m developing.
It is designed to test your knowledge of the Japanese Hiragana syllabary by using
a multiple choice quiz format.
It was released on October 15th, 2014 for Android, Windows, Mac and Linux, and
developed with the Ren’Py visual novel engine (version 6.18.1.670).

I created this on Ren'py because it has all of the tools that I need. I plan on creating
another version for Katakana next. I might do Chinese and Korean in the future.
I’ve been working on games for a few years now, but this is the first game I’ve
actually released. It was quite the adventure! I am learning Japanese, and I use
this game to gauge how much Hiragana I've learned.

As of today, my high score is... 5. :(

I hope that it helps people learn Japanese, and think of more ways of using Ren'py!
Last edited by Altsune on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Let's Go! Hiragana [edutainment]

#2 Post by Donmai »

Thank you for the release. Good job! I would suggest you the inclusion of a Hiragana syllabograms table for us to study before taking the tests.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Altsune

#3 Post by Altsune »

Donmai wrote:Thank you for the release. Good job! I would suggest you the inclusion of a Hiragana syllabograms table for us to study before taking the tests.
That is an excellent idea... Yes! :D
I think I'll include that in version 2!

Marmasielle

#4 Post by Marmasielle »

Your idea really is great. But it would be nice if you could include a full Hiragana table to study before the "test".

Also, sometimes none of the answer choices match the given symbol. It have occured many times already. Just for you to know. :)

Altsune

#5 Post by Altsune »

Marmasielle wrote:Your idea really is great. But it would be nice if you could include a full Hiragana table to study before the "test".

Also, sometimes none of the answer choices match the given symbol. It have occured many times already. Just for you to know. :)
Do you remember which ones? That's a pretty big deal.

Marmasielle

#6 Post by Marmasielle »

I wrote down one. When it asks for "ho", the possible answers are ke tsu so ko. I will write if I see more errors :)

Altsune

#7 Post by Altsune »

Marmasielle wrote:I wrote down one. When it asks for "ho", the possible answers are ke tsu so ko. I will write if I see more errors :)
I fixed that one, thank you! Oh man, there are a ton of lines in this script- but I'll be sure to triple-check everything again. That's a bit.. Embarrassing ^^;

Altsune

#8 Post by Altsune »

I'm making adjustments now, based off of feedback from you folks. A changelog/updated links will follow in the days to come.

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#9 Post by feathersnake »

This is really great! I love the idea of people making educational games. ^^ Thank you for taking the time to make it and let people use it as a learning tool!

It would be awesome to see this game expanded upon in the future too, though it's up to you of course, as I can definitely see them taking some work to implement.

For example, maybe a higher level type of thing where commonly confused hiragana always have both the correct answer and commonly confused answers of similar hiragana in there. (Like re and ne, sa and chi, me and nu, etc.) There are also the different sounds hiragana can make when a ten-ten or maru is added (ga, da, ba, pa, etc.) that may warrant their own type of quiz, or quizzes depending on if you want to devote another quiz or level to the more tricky sounds that can result from a ten-ten. There's also the possibility of a step by step system where hiragana are introduced and quizzed on briefly before moving up to another part where another set is introduced and quizzed on along with the previous set.

Those were just some thoughts I had when playing. ^^;; I also have a couple of errors to report. The first is no correct option for "sa" sometimes (And when I click "se" it tells me it's correct.):
sa error.png
Also, both "sa" and "shi" have a tendency to get stuck on the screen ("sa" tends to stick around when it has the options without the correct answer in it, and "shi" tends to stick around no matter what after answering. I've also had this happen with the no-answer "ka" listed below.):
sastuckerror.png
shistuckerror.png
I don't have screenshots for this right now, but I've also seen "ka" show up and only have "ni", "ke", "ki", and "ko" as answers.
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Altsune

#10 Post by Altsune »

feathersnake wrote:This is really great! I love the idea of people making educational games. ^^ Thank you for taking the time to make it and let people use it as a learning tool!

It would be awesome to see this game expanded upon in the future too, though it's up to you of course, as I can definitely see them taking some work to implement.

For example, maybe a higher level type of thing where commonly confused hiragana always have both the correct answer and commonly confused answers of similar hiragana in there. (Like re and ne, sa and chi, me and nu, etc.) There are also the different sounds hiragana can make when a ten-ten or maru is added (ga, da, ba, pa, etc.) that may warrant their own type of quiz, or quizzes depending on if you want to devote another quiz or level to the more tricky sounds that can result from a ten-ten. There's also the possibility of a step by step system where hiragana are introduced and quizzed on briefly before moving up to another part where another set is introduced and quizzed on along with the previous set.

Those were just some thoughts I had when playing. ^^;; I also have a couple of errors to report. The first is no correct option for "sa" sometimes (And when I click "se" it tells me it's correct.):
sa error.png
Also, both "sa" and "shi" have a tendency to get stuck on the screen ("sa" tends to stick around when it has the options without the correct answer in it, and "shi" tends to stick around no matter what after answering. I've also had this happen with the no-answer "ka" listed below.):
sastuckerror.png
shistuckerror.png
I don't have screenshots for this right now, but I've also seen "ka" show up and only have "ni", "ke", "ki", and "ko" as answers.
I love those ideas! There is so much room for expansion. If I don't implement them, someone else should totally run with it.

I should just put a "scene" function at the beginning of the loops just to clear any stuck images..
I'll squish those bugs right now, thank you very much for the help! The screenshots really help!

Altsune

Re: Let's Go! Hiragana v1.1 [edutainment]

#11 Post by Altsune »

I've updated the game to version 1.1, thanks to everyone's suggestions! Links are in the above post.
I fixed the bugs you folks mentioned (and then some), added a study guide, and made it so you're told what the correct answer is once you take a guess.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#12 Post by chocoberrie »

I'm interested in playing this, but the download link seems to be broken! Could you re-upload it? Thanks! :)

Altsune

#13 Post by Altsune »

chocoberrie wrote:I'm interested in playing this, but the download link seems to be broken! Could you re-upload it? Thanks! :)
Done! Thank you for reminding me! :D

schivafrecce
Regular
Completed: BLACK
Projects: /!\Work in progress/!\
itch: schivafrecce

Re: Let's Go! Hiragana / Katakana / Hangul [edutainment]

#14 Post by schivafrecce »

Combining ren'py with the study of languages was a genius move! I had fun testing my hiragana skills, thanks for making this :wink:

Altsune

Re: Let's Go! Hiragana / Katakana / Hangul [edutainment]

#15 Post by Altsune »

schivafrecce wrote:Combining ren'py with the study of languages was a genius move! I had fun testing my hiragana skills, thanks for making this :wink:
No problem! <3
I'm glad I could help!