Different outfits in CGs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

Different outfits in CGs?

#1 Post by meiri »

So, I'm starting to draw out some CGs for my game, but I'm thinking that maybe they should wear different outfits in the CG than their sprite wears. However, I don't have corresponding outfits on the sprites. Is it in bad taste to have a character show up in regular clothing and then in the CG wear something entirely different? Would a good amount of narration excuse this?
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Different outfits in CGs?

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I'd say it'd be in bad taste if it wasn't explained well enough in advance. If your MC usually wears a sweater, and shows up in a dress in the CG, something like a fade to black "she changed into something she thought would be more appropriate for the (insert event)" should be alright!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#3 Post by Laiska »

Yeah, any inconsistency can be remedied by simply explaining it. If it's the case that the character is still meant to be wearing the new outfit after the CG, then yes, you'll probably want to have an alternate sprite drawn.

Nan

#4 Post by Nan »

If the sprites are wearing different outfits in the CG with no reason given prior, it will be quite jarring to me as a reader. I would even go so far and think the artist didn't bother with consistency - especially if the next scene has the sprite in her old clothes again. Narration will definitely help.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#5 Post by Kato »

Without explanation something like that would definitely be confronting. If it can't be avoided, an explanation before the scene occurs is definitely the way to go.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#6 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

mhm.... there's development/plot reasons for the lack of sprites for the CG outfit ? I mean, if drawing a sprite matching the outfit isn't worth the effort (e.g. apparing only once or twice in the entire game, for the event) an explanation should be the best means of dealing with this, if needed (that is, in a prom dating setting or like, there's even no need of giving explanations for the change of CG....)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.