Phoenix Wright

For the rest of your otaku life.
themocaw
Regular

Re: Phoenix Wright

#16 Post by themocaw »

Otaku Dash wrote: Rumors are on Phoniex Wright for Wii... I wonder when that will come?
While a Phoenix Wright for Wii would be fun, it would ruin some of the appeal of the current PW series which is that, like a book, you could carry it around with you and read a bit of the story on the bus, save when your stop comes up, and pick it up again during your lunch hour.

ClintTheChocolic

#17 Post by ClintTheChocolic »

I just finished playing Phoenix Wright 3 yesterday, and I must say, it's probably the best game out of the PW trilogy. The writing has gotten better (and this is something, because PW 1 & 2 already have strong writing), superb music (IMO, it has the best soundtrack out of the three), and a far more interesting cast of characters. The main prosecutor is a nice change of pace from the Von Karma clans (Manfred/Edgeworth/Franziska.) I personally liked all of the prosecutors from the previous games, but they kind of feel same-y to me. They seem to be suffering from the "prodigy prosecutors" syndrome or something. I'd talk more about the game, but out of the respect for the people who have yet to play the game, I won't. It's the kind of game the less you know about it, the better it becomes. IMO, It's possibly the best translated VN I've ever played so far.

So... has anyone else played the third one?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by monele »

Ordered it Monday... still waiting ^^;...

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Showsni »

It's still not out until sometime in 2008, according to Nintendo's website...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by monele »

Japanese version includes an English translation ^^. Except for a slightly higher price, there's no reason to wait :)

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#21 Post by Scout »

Given that the translation was easily the best part of the last two games... I think I can wait an extra two months for the NA version to come out. Apparently the Japanese version is typo ridden, and really, I assume there has to be a reason why it got delayed an extra month.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

I really thought they used the same translation as in the JP version... I mean... why would they even put English in these releases to begin with? ^^;...

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Showsni »

To help Japanese children with their English homework?

Not that I ever play my NoE games in French, German, etc, though.

There's a lot more than just translating the game going on, anyway. They have to localise the whole thing; see here http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?art ... a-vdRURKQh for instance. And of course the European version also gets translations into French, German, Spanish, Italian and what have you normally, with further localisations for each...

Ren

#24 Post by Ren »

Showsni wrote:[...] Italian and what have you normally, with further localizations for each...
I really wish Nintendo and the other companies stopped wasting money like that:P

The guy that says "Obiezione!" has a nasal, irritating voice.I don't know about the other versions, I just wonder why such a huge company cannot afford at least a decent(not good, just decent, am I asking the impossible?>_<) dubber for just a few words...Videogames don't get enough love over here, I still shiver when I think about FFIIX/IX's translation, MGS's dubbing(the one for PSX) and a bunch of other videogames I don't want to name so that I don't have to suffer again T_T;;

End of the rant...

Jake
Support Hero

#25 Post by Jake »

Ren wrote: I just wonder why such a huge company cannot afford at least a decent(not good, just decent, am I asking the impossible?>_<) dubber for just a few words...
Unfortunately, it's kind of a recurring problem with videogames, in English-speaking markets as well. There's the occasional gem with great acting, but most videogame spoken dialogue is pretty dire.

I'm glad companies still bother spending cash on localization, though. The Phoenix Wright article linked to above is a perfect example, really; so much of the humour in that game had to have been added by the localisation team, and regardless of whether or not it was based on jokes in the original it undoubtedly wouldn't have been such a fun game without their efforts.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

ClintTheChocolic

#26 Post by ClintTheChocolic »

Well, I hate to play Mr. Negative here, but Capcom USA didn't even bother fixing the typos in JFA, AND they have 3 months before the NA release to fix them. I own PW2JFA, and as far as I can tell, it's practically the same version as the english version included in GS2DS (I've played through both versions.) I heard that they fixed the typos on the latter NA releases of JFA, but don't quote me on that. What I know for certain though, is that they fixed the typos for the European release.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure PW3 has fewer typos than PW2 (from what I can remember anyway). However, if you live in NA and is patient enough to wait for another month, I suggest you just buy the NA release. The release of Ace Attorney 4: Apollo Justice hinges on PW3's success in NA. I hope this time they'll actually spend some time fixing the typos. For the time being though, just brace yourself for, umm... some "humun error" (no, not human error. HUMUN error.)

Also, apparently the "super objection" sound byte is omitted in the english version of GS3DS. This drives some of the fanboys NUTS. I personally don't care much for it though. It only got played ONCE in the original game.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#27 Post by yummy »

It's old news there but I still find it funny. Here's a Phoenix Wright style version of an episode of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu made by japanese fans. Sorry if you can't understand japanese (well even if it's in japanese it's quite understandable anyways), so enjoy !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpB_RYo3XOs

(sorry the one before was the wrong one)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by monele »

ClintTheChocolic wrote:I just finished playing Phoenix Wright 3 yesterday, and I must say, it's probably the best game out of the PW trilogy. The writing has gotten better (and this is something, because PW 1 & 2 already have strong writing), superb music (IMO, it has the best soundtrack out of the three), and a far more interesting cast of characters. The main prosecutor is a nice change of pace from the Von Karma clans (Manfred/Edgeworth/Franziska.) I personally liked all of the prosecutors from the previous games, but they kind of feel same-y to me. They seem to be suffering from the "prodigy prosecutors" syndrome or something. I'd talk more about the game, but out of the respect for the people who have yet to play the game, I won't. It's the kind of game the less you know about it, the better it becomes. IMO, It's possibly the best translated VN I've ever played so far.

So... has anyone else played the third one?
I finally finished it (I took my time ^^;...). It is also the best PW game for me. It ended the first trilogy brilliantly. The last cases were terribly involving if you've been playing the whole series. In the end, what does it for me is the characters. While the mood is often silly and many things are over-the-top, to the brink of the unbelievable, they still manage to make everything hold in the PW world and give you very endearable characters that I love to bits.
I held my tears because I finished this at work but it was definitely touching, and a bit strange to realize it was over.
Sure, there's PW4 coming soon, but it's safe to say it won't be the same :) (not saying it won't be good, but it *is* a new cast, so it'll take time to get to know them as well as the first cast ^^)

Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

Re:

#29 Post by Mirena »

mrsulu wrote:I think there's a parody game in here. A bevy of bishy twin girl maids are accused of murder and you, Phoenix Otaku Defense Attorney, must come to their rescue. Evidence would be doujin magazines, H games, and underclothing. Witnesses would include childhood best friends, bosomy school nurses, and your extremely sick little sister.
That sounds like pure win. xD Someone make it pleeease.

(Obviously I've played the Phoenix Wright games too, well at least 1 and 2. Planning to get 3 once it's available.)

renkenjutsu
Regular

#30 Post by renkenjutsu »

A spin off called Apollo Justice has been released. It's like Phoenix Wright, still has Dick Gumshoe, but oh so much tougher >.>
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...