Wedding Vows (Calling for artists again!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#46 Post by Mihel »

[Double post again?! Curses!!!]
Last edited by Mihel on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#47 Post by Mihel »

As long as the second half is okay, I'll be trying out different variations on the first half while I go through the rest of the pieces with my Asiatic Style Detector :P

(Here's an edit I whipped up this morning. Any better (besides obvious mp3 shittiness?)
Attachments
wv2.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#48 Post by dizzcity »

Hmmm... not really. The first part still sounds too Asiatic to me. I think it's the flute melody at the beginning and the piano riff that's the reason. The second half is fine, though. It's just the first half.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

dizzcity
Veteran

Re: Wedding Vows (Script done, need feedback & artist)

#49 Post by dizzcity »

*slinks in*

Um, hello. ^_^ I'm back, after more than half a year away working on some other stuff. I think I've finally cleared my desk of other projects, so I'm relatively free to concentrate on finishing production of Wedding Vows properly now. Once again, I'm aiming for a Valentine's Day release, if possible (Feb 14th, 2008, in this case).

Having said that, it seems that my original artist and musician have vanished or are too busy, so I've reduced the project back to script-only for now. I've also made a few changes to the story (mainly Rebecca's last two sections - added to the length of one, and switched in a totally-different scene for the other). And this time, I'm pretty clear on what artistic style I want... no photos. I want to go for a minimalistic depiction of scenes, similar to Apes of God, with watercolour drawings if possible (see this , this, this and this for examples). Plus properly-drawn and detailed talking heads as necessary (the latter do not have to be in the same style as the former).

Choark, my original artist, seems to have completely disappeared from these forums. As for music, I'm not sure whether Mihel's still available and up to producing pieces for this, so for now I'm assuming nothing. Which means that effectively, the status of Wedding Vows is as follows:

Script = 100% (pending some minor edits here and there)
Art = 0%
Music = 0%
Coding & Direction = 50% (all the script is in, but I want to play around with the UI functions a bit)

For the art and sound, I'm attempting to recruit some local people to work with me in producing it, but if those attempts fail, then I'm definitely open to asking people here to once again work with me to finish it. I should receive the replies to my recruitment efforts within a week or two (I hope). At the moment, I'm looking for a beta-reader to read through my revised script and see if there is anything which could be improved. Grammar, spelling and punctuation problems have mostly been dealt with - I'm more interested in literary and stylistic criticism of the writing. Any volunteers? :)

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by musical74 »

Hiya Dizzcity! been wondering where you were...

If you need literary criticism I'll give it a go. This sort of thing is pretty natural for me...looking at a game/book/movie and looking at it from an editoral point of view :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dizzcity
Veteran

#51 Post by dizzcity »

Hehe... I've been finishing up about three or four other game projects, including a summer internship at MIT and some lab work there. :) But all that should be done now, so it's back to interactive stories for me.

Thanks for your help, I've sent you an PM with the details.

-Dizzy-
Fanfiction.net Profile.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#52 Post by musical74 »

PM sent for particulars, but this looks like a gooooood game from my point of view =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dizzcity
Veteran

Re: Wedding Vows (Script done, need feedback and artist)

#53 Post by dizzcity »

So... progress report. With musical74's help, the script is proofread and finalized. I've been playing around with the UI and layout recently, attempting to emulate a wedding photo album or perhaps a fairytale storybook. The artwork's kinda sketchy, but here's what I've got so far... it's still work in progress, though.
Vows Menu
Vows Menu
Main screen - album page
Main screen - album page

In other news: The local artists I wanted to recruit are too busy with their own projects to help out, so I'm throwing it open again. Is there anyone here willing to illustrate this project for me? I just need about 15-20 scenes created for that oval frame next to the text below. And two head-and-shoulder portraits of Lawrence and Rebecca in their wedding finery for the vows menu. And if anyone's willing to help me polish up the artwork for the book and vows menu, I'd be glad of that help too. ^_^

Any volunteers?

-Dizzy-

(By the way, how can I make the textbox background transparent? I've been trawling through the Ren'Py help forums, but haven't found an answer yet...)
Fanfiction.net Profile.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: Wedding Vows (Calling for artists again!)

#54 Post by JQuartz »

dizzcity wrote:(By the way, how can I make the textbox background transparent? I've been trawling through the Ren'Py help forums, but haven't found an answer yet...)
I think this should do the trick.

Code: Select all

init:
    $ style.window.background = '#0000'
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

klang

#55 Post by klang »

Warning! Incoming grammar nazi attack!

Earth should be capitalized for political correctness. But it's not like it matters... hehe
= 口=

Jake
Support Hero

#56 Post by Jake »

klang wrote:Earth should be capitalized for political correctness.
No, 'Earth' should be capitalised because it's a proper noun, and all proper nouns should be capitalised - grammatical correctness, not political. :P

Unless he literally meant "landed on soil"...? ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

dizzcity
Veteran

#57 Post by dizzcity »

Heh, okay, okay, I'll capitalize it. Although I do have doubts as to whether I should be referring to Earth as in the planet (which is what the proper noun suggests), as opposed to earth as in the ground (which is what the opposition to dreamland meant).

And JQuartz, thanks! That worked.

But are there no artists who wish to help out? I really would like to work with somebody... Pretty please? It doesn't have to be watercolour... any style will do. Heck, black & white lineart illustrations might actually be more fitting.

-Dizzy-
Fanfiction.net Profile.

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#58 Post by risingbamboobanana »

hey dizzcity :)

i'd like to help out in the art department. i don't have a tablet or anything fancy, so i can only use traditional media and then scan and play around with it afterwards. there's not much to see but you can check out my style here (also posted a few pics on the general boards here). if you don't dig my stuffs that's cool, i understand :) and also, you'll hafta excuse my being a slow worker because i draw excrutiatingly slowly and it's exam time where i am XD so put that together and you've got a snail on a joyride.

bbuuuuttttt....if you're willing to give me a chance then i'll be more than happy to give it a shot :mrgreen:
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

dizzcity
Veteran

#59 Post by dizzcity »

Back again. It's been a long time, and I was exhausted because of starting a new job in the game industry... but my creative juices that were drained are now starting to refill.

I'm going to finish Wedding Vows. I don't care how long it'll take, but I'm going to do it. (Although I'm still aiming for a Valentine's Day deadline... maybe 2009)

I'm still of two minds where art direction is concerned... I can think of two ways to structure Wedding Vows' art style, and I can't decide which is better. Maybe I should ask for opinions... will post both versions up here later for people to see.

For music, I'm definitely going with Mihel's classical Canon versions.

-Dizzy-
Fanfiction.net Profile.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by DaFool »

Welcome back. Though it may not be appropriate to mention the name 'Love Revo' at this moment, in this case the scripting is fully complete, you just need the musician and artist to stick around for 1-2 months and be around to guide them to completion. That's what you need... just 1-2 months of uninterrupted productivity.

Then again, in two years your perspective on love may have changed so the writing takes on a different meaning? Unless some rewriting tweaks are in order.