new visual novel idea

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sailorel
Completed: When love strikes, The first Star
Tumblr: sailorel

new visual novel idea

#1 Post by Sailorel »

i'm thinking of starting a new vn about a college girl who lives with her best friend. They are both delinquents and are failing at school, so because of her terrible grades, she gets sent back home to live with her parents in the countryside. There she will meet two very different guys. One will be a delinquent like her and the other will be a dedicated student with big dreams. So she will be able to choose if she wants to stay as she is, or change and become a good student.
i was just wondering if that sounds like a good story for a visual novel...
i will be using the same type of art i was using in my first vn https://sailorel.itch.io/when-love-strikes but i obviously won't be using the same exact sprites.
if a good number of people think it's a good idea, then i will release a demo
the final game would be free :P

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: new visual novel idea

#2 Post by fleet »

If YOU think it's a good idea, go ahead and make the VN. The story sound interesting enough; please be assured that some people will play it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Sailorel wrote: i was just wondering if that sounds like a good story for a visual novel...
Any story can be written as a visual novel. What exactly makes a story good? I don't know. However, I am reminded of two phrases:

* "A character wants something badly..." This phrase shows up in TVTropes' article about writing a story and Ian Irvine's article 55 Ways to Create Compelling Characters. Make sure that your fictional characters have specific goal, and that they will need to struggle in order to achieve the goals.

* "The human heart in conflict with itself..." This was said by William Faulkner decades ago. It seems like a useful quote to keep in mind when thinking about characters, their goals, their concerns, and so on.

Your story seems to have at least two conflicts: 1) Main character trying to determine who she will be. 2) A love triangle, in which the main character is trying to choose which person she loves. Both of these can be a good foundation for a story.
Sailorel wrote: if a good number of people think it's a good idea, then i will release a demo
Don't write with the goal of getting feedback. Some people will read the forum topic and won't know what to say. Other people will read your story and not have any comments to offer. Others won't be interested. That said... write because you want to create a story.

Sailorel
Completed: When love strikes, The first Star
Tumblr: sailorel

#4 Post by Sailorel »

@gekiganwing

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it :)