Do you play protagonists outside of your gender/sexuality?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hudzon
Regular

Do you play protagonists outside of your gender/sexuality?

#1 Post by Hudzon »

I'm curious what it's like for everyone else.

Do you usually play a VN where the protagonist is either of an opposite gender or an opposite sexuality of you?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Do you play protagonists outside of your gender/sexuality?

#2 Post by papillon »

I'll play men pursuing women. I'd rather not play men pursuing men. I want *some* girliness involved...

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

Generally, I don't. It's really difficult for me to identify to the protagonist if the main character is from the other gender: I tend to try to understand better their way of thinking and I don't really know how a girl's mind works on a set situation.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Cybeat »

I don't mind playing as a female in other kinds of video games (Samus), but for visual novel, I have to be playing as a guy. I don't feel good playing as a girl....chasing guys.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Wintermoon »

I will play either gender (and actually prefer playing a girl) so long as I'm pursuing girls. If the visual novel is not romance-oriented, I still prefer playing as female but don't care about sexual orientation.

GxG > BxG > GxB > BxB
Gx0 > Bx0

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#6 Post by Vatina »

papillon wrote:I'll play men pursuing women. I'd rather not play men pursuing men. I want *some* girliness involved...
Same here.

I play more VN's with male protagonists than female. I usually don't put myself that much in his/her place in the first place, so as long as the overall story and the characters are good, then I'll play it.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#7 Post by Blue123 »

Vatina wrote:
papillon wrote:I'll play men pursuing women. I'd rather not play men pursuing men. I want *some* girliness involved...
Same here.

I play more VN's with male protagonists than female. I usually don't put myself that much in his/her place in the first place, so as long as the overall story and the characters are good, then I'll play it.
Same here, I guess.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

I would, but I can't really say that I have yet. I don't think it's any different from reading a typical Eroge story wherein the male protagonist usually feels far detached from my own personality, so I can't really put myself in his shoes anyway.

I've read a few stories told in first-person from the female protagonist's perspective if that counts. (and "The Last Client" manga :P .)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Ellie

#9 Post by Ellie »

I almost always enjoy b pursues g, which is the opposite of my sexuality...Probably because...I feel like it's easier to create female characters that vary, and can be very emotional...
;~; And...they're cuter. (<-- Poor reasoning...xD Also, I feel like it's easier for many people to draw females~ So they often turn out looking better...)

(It's rare to find male characters that I go like...Daw, he's cute...Harvest Moon More Friends of Mineral Town, may be the only game where I found it enjoyable to play as g pursues b...Rick is the only one I wouldn't try to pursue...Can't say I was ever able to like that one...=P Of course, it was more fun to play the original Harvest Moon which was b pursues g...But...Oh...And Dream Savior Gakuen was lovely too~)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

I don't mind playing both gender, as long as it is not BxB. GxG is still alright and GxB is no problemo.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

Vatina wrote:
Same here.

Guess me too,
but I don't know if I can handle GxG.
Never played it.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

I'm a guy. And yet if I said I wasn't obsessed with shoujo, then I'd be lying. :wink: Seriously, I'm fascinating with lead characters who are different from me. I've found that to be true with series with female leads who are ordinary girls, tomboys, and even otaku.

Saori
Regular

#13 Post by Saori »

Well, I guess at some points it can't be helped. The otome games aren't as common, though there are a lot, it'll still be overpowered by the BxG games. It's not really something I find unnerving, unless the female character the protagonist pursues is someone I find annoying. You just get used to it after playing numerous RPGs with male leads xD
Last edited by Saori on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GraMana
Regular

#14 Post by GraMana »

LVUER wrote:I don't mind playing both gender, as long as it is not BxB. GxG is still alright and GxB is no problemo.
Why is there such a double standard for BxB and GxG? This just irks me to no small extent, even though I'm straight.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Wintermoon »

GraMana wrote:Why is there such a double standard for BxB and GxG? This just irks me to no small extent, even though I'm straight.
I like girls. This is a matter of deep-seated instinct, not of rational thought. It's part of who I am. Call it a "sexual orientation" if you will. I don't feel like I have to justify, or apologize for, my instincts.

To me, the ideal love is between two beautiful beings of equal status. This can only be love between two girls. Any hetero love is tainted by the presence of the male, and unbalanced because the female's status is inherently higher than the male's. BxB love is balanced, but tainted twice by the presence of two males.

I don't disapprove of BxB relationships, in fiction or in real life. If a male character has to have a love interest, it might as well be another male. It's just that I disapprove of focusing on male characters in the first place. More often than not, male characters simply irritate me. The more focus there is on female characters, the better.

I realize that this is completely irrational, but this is who I am. I cannot simply choose to be someone else. To deny my instincts is to deny myself.