Reguarding two simple issues...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Skittle Sama

Reguarding two simple issues...

#1 Post by Skittle Sama »

Though I am now nearing the completion of a game, I've been searching for a way to have a sequence of rolling 'End Game' credits, if you will, at the end.

The idea was to have it be similar to the "label splashscreen" scripting at the beginning that appears before the actual title screen.

Is there any possible way to do this without there being an error?

Secondly, I've been having problems with my images lately. Not in their game, but the image itself. I can't save as a .png file in Adobe for some reason. I'm not sure why, however, all my images are layered and Ren'Py doesn't support the ude of .psd files. Any thoughts on what program I could possibly get that could solve my transparency problem?

What program was used to make the transparent images of "Eileen" in the demo?

Help appreciated,
Rachel

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

The only way to do transparency is either gif or png. If you do gif though, you'll have to face editing. Anyways, I've had that png problem before. Here's what you do: Go to Save for Web... and then choose the PNG-32 or PNG-128 dithered under the "setting" drop-down menu on the right-hand side. If you don't get it the first time around (i.e. the end results looks bad like a gif), mess with it a bit and it should be okay from then on and you can directly save to png format without going through Save for Web. Btw, you may have to do the Save for Web bit for awhile before you can directly save as png.

Skittle Sama

#3 Post by Skittle Sama »

Well, that was the original idea. I know how to make them, but Adobe Photoshop actually won't physically let me do it. The "Save to Web" option isn't available.

It's the same reason that I may have to reinstall it because I can't view .bmp, .png, or .gif files with it. Therefore, I'll need another program that could save (preferrably) .psd to .png with transparency.

I was looking into some of the other Ren'py threads in hopes for some enlightenment. I did find the thread about the user-dictated names, I thought I'd put that in last minute, but the coding that Py-Tom left didn't seem to be successful for me. I'll end up leaving it out, much to my dismay...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Reguarding two simple issues...

#4 Post by PyTom »

Skittle Sama wrote:Though I am now nearing the completion of a game, I've been searching for a way to have a sequence of rolling 'End Game' credits, if you will, at the end.

The idea was to have it be similar to the "label splashscreen" scripting at the beginning that appears before the actual title screen.

Is there any possible way to do this without there being an error?
I'm not sure what the question here is.

If you want to share a block of credits code between two endings, you can do it by calling a label, and then returning from that label. That's what happens implicitly with the splashscreen.

If you want scrolling, look into Move and Pan.
Secondly, I've been having problems with my images lately. Not in their game, but the image itself. I can't save as a .png file in Adobe for some reason. I'm not sure why, however, all my images are layered and Ren'Py doesn't support the ude of .psd files. Any thoughts on what program I could possibly get that could solve my transparency problem?
The GIMP. http://www.gimp.org

What program was used to make the transparent images of "Eileen" in the demo?
Inkscape, although inkscape is a vector graphics program. http://www.inkscape.org
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Skittle Sama

Re: Reguarding two simple issues...

#5 Post by Skittle Sama »

PyTom wrote:I'm not sure what the question here is.

If you want to share a block of credits code between two endings, you can do it by calling a label, and then returning from that label. That's what happens implicitly with the splashscreen.

If you want scrolling, look into Move and Pan.
Thanks Py-Tom. I moved a little away from the topic which is probably why you had trouble understanding my question. The question was simply, "What can I use to create a steady flow of rolling credits?"

But you've answered that, so I'll look into it.

Originally, I was using a simple "show text" code with a black scene. Strange that didn't work correctly. I'll have to use a label.