[RELEASED] Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Maitê002
Projects: Bizarre Otaku Love, Triplets Trouble!!!
itch: myc-games

[RELEASED] Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

#1 Post by Maitê002 »

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

TRIPLETS TROUBLE!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone!
Me and a friend (Dook) decided to team up and start creating a visual novel a while ago, and now we decided to participate in NaNoRenO 2023 with a new idea: Triplets Trouble!!!!

The idea of ​​the game is to follow the daily lives of triplets over the course of a week (7 days), in a period shortly after the pandemic and when things are slowly returning to normal, but when they are still stuck at home. In this context, they try to find fun things to do inside their own home, whether it's a new game or exploring a place in the house they've never been before.
The story will be very linear and with a single ending, classifying the game practically as a Kinetic Novel, but to make it more interactive and fun for the player, we want to put some minigames in each day (one of them being a point and click minigame).
On the artistic side, we have some ambitious ideas that we're not sure we'll be able to do yet, but we'll try! For example, one of our goals is for the kids to have a different outfit for each day, which obviously will give us extra work, but also a slightly greater sense of realism.

In that first week, our goal was to write at least 2 or 3 days/chapters of the story and have all the sprites ready. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do all of that, but we still made good progress during the week, which we'll show here. Dook will talk a little about the process of creating the design of the main characters:

Well, starting with the kids!
The triplets are 8 years old, and after a while, we decided not to specify the biological gender of any of them, they are children and only children.

1kid_20230308121021.png

To identify them, the only physical difference between them is their haircut, which is already an expression of each one's personality. But speaking of the technical part, this is quite convenient! Their faces are identical, so a single set of expressions would be used by all three. Their expressions are exaggerated, I had a certain influence on the manga "Yotsuba" and its protagonist of the same name, I don't remember exactly her age, but her actions and expressions are exactly what I see in the triplets. I left their hair with loose strands and open spaces on purpose to give the signal that yes, they never stand still and move a lot, even if they were combed every morning, in no time, it would be all messy and frizzy!

Also, kids move around so much, having just a single pose would be depressing. I did arm variations just to give movement, this idea that they are always doing something with their arms or hands.
If I had more time I would definitely try to do more hand and arm variations!

Now about the dad!

Dad_20230308121112.png

He is an artist who works from home, as well as a single father with three children, who are very cute and obedient, but who are still children and have a lot of energy to discharge all day and night. In the end, he is the one who almost always runs out of energy!
I want to make him look as tired as possible, but not worn out or sad, no no, just really tired and always on the verge of succumbing to the urge to just flop down on the floor and take a nap.

Oh, and the lines! They are blue, because I wanted to pass more softness. A black line seemed to be too heavy and rough in the design itself and in the game's narrative, with the blue line I looked for a greater lightness between the design and the colors.

Paletas.jpg

As I said before, the "chapters" of the game will be equivalent to the days of the week, starting on Sunday and ending on Saturday. Being a story told from the point of view of three children, it took me a while to find the best way to present the whole world from their point of view. Initially, I thought about writing in the first person, but changing the point of view between them; writing this way would be a way to show more directly how each of the triplets sees the world, and how much things around them change during their games, however, it would be very difficult to make the transition between the point of view of a to each other in a natural way, especially writing in a visual novel format, which would end up being confusing for players.
Writing in third person is a better way to make that transition, but on the other hand, I was afraid that, with an observant narrator, I wouldn't be able to get the "childish gaze" across to the player. Children are expressive, not just with body language, but they are also sincere and tend to say everything they think sincerely and dramatically, so I thought I'd use that to my advantage and try to blend it all together.

The story will be narrated in third person, but most things will be spoken and shown by the children themselves; more than communicating with the player, they need to communicate with each other, and through this communication, they will show what they are seeing, feeling and even discovering about their family. Meanwhile, the third-person narration will serve as a way of translating that language for the player. In summary, expect little narration and a lot of dialogue between the characters, especially between the triplets.
And because of all these writing tests, all I've managed to write this week is a chapter and a half (a little over 5000 words), but from now on I'll be able to write a lot faster.

Finally, the last thing we did was a prototype (very prototype indeed) of a menu for the game, but it was just a test and it's far from being the final version.

104 Sem Título3_20230308122259.png

What we did this week:
- Base sketch of all characters.
- Base body and hair of the three children and the dad.
- Some of the expressions of the dad and children.
- The writing of day 1 and half of day 2.

What we want to do next week:
- The sprite of one more character.
- 2 more expressions for the father and 3 for the children.
- The clothes of all the characters (and the variations for the kids).
- Start the backgrounds.
- Finish writing day 2 and write days 3 and 4.
Last edited by Maitê002 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maitê002

Re: Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

#2 Post by Maitê002 »

Week two is over and here we are once again with updates on Triplets Trouble!!! This week, we managed to finish practically everything that was planned, and what was not finished, I intend to finish it today as soon as I write this update, but let's go in parts!

Starting with the artistic part with Dook:
Well well! This week I managed to do exactly what I said! I finished all the pieces of the children's and father's sprites and also a new character!
Each child has two sets of clothes for now (the idea is to make more if we have time).

Older Triplet
Kid_20230314164749.png
Kid_20230314164803.png

Middle Triplet
Kid_20230314164839.png
Kid_20230314164851.png

Youngest Triplet
Kid_20230314164927.png
Kid_20230314164939.png

The dad has a set of clothes.
Dad3_20230314165008.png
Dad3_20230314165026.png

And the new character has two versions of one set.
Tia_20230314165309.png
Tia_20230314165304.png

About backgrounds! I started to sketch the idea of each place! The sketch of all the places is already ready but I will show only 4 of them for now (bedroom, living room, stairs and hallway)!
122 Sem Título_20230313122455.png
123 Sem Título (1).png
127 Sem Título_20230314164433.png
128 Sem Título_20230314164413.png

On the writing part, I finished chapter 2 which I had started in the first week, I also wrote chapter 3 and a part of 4, which I hope to finish later today. In all, there were about 14,000 words written over the week, which is almost triple what I wrote in the first week, so I think I'm doing great!
I must admit that virtually every chapter is turning out to be much longer than anticipated; honestly, I expected the whole game to be around 20,000-25,000 words, but that's pretty much the current amount and we're still on chapter 4 of 7. But I also believe that the result is getting much better this way and that I'll be able to finish everything until, at most, the beginning of the last week to be able to focus entirely on the programming, that's what matters!
And speaking of programming, we started thinking more about the details of each minigame as I wrote and one in particular was harder to build the base than I thought. The minigame itself is simple, but has many important details that took some time to decide. As a casual game, we didn't want the minigames to be difficult to get through, especially for those who are going to play just to enjoy the story; but we also want to give a little difficulty or at least more content for those who are willing to investigate and dedicate more time to this part; so it was hard to find a way to balance those two things, but in the end, I think we did it.

What we did this week:
- All sprites and expressions.
- The sketch of all backgrounds.
- The rest of the writing of the day 2; the day 3 and part of the writing of the day 4.

- Finish all backgrounds.
- Start the visual identity (menus, logo, textbox design, etc).
- Write the days 5 and 6.

TakafumiSakagami
Regular
Completed: By Your Side, Yoshioka
Projects: Aious ~Proof of Concept~, Aidos
Organization: Kyacchi22
Deviantart: takafumisakagami

Re: Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

#3 Post by TakafumiSakagami »

Those background sketches are looking great! I wish I had the skill or the patience for that kind of work, but I can't even draw a straight line. It never stops being impressive to me when people can just draw interiors like that.

Maitê002

#4 Post by Maitê002 »

TakafumiSakagami wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:25 pm Those background sketches are looking great! I wish I had the skill or the patience for that kind of work, but I can't even draw a straight line. It never stops being impressive to me when people can just draw interiors like that.
WAaaahH! THANKS!!!
I'm soooo happy that you liked it!!!
Though I wouldn't have been able to draw lines clean like that (in a period of time as short as a week!) if weren't for the models I built in The Sims to guide me through the perspective points of aaaaaall the places. ~Dook

Maitê002

#5 Post by Maitê002 »

The third week is over! And we're heading into the fourth and pretty much last week of the game jam, and I have to say, it's been going by a lot faster than I expected. Now begins the countdown of the last 10 days until the end of the NaNoRenO!

As usual, Dook will start by talking about his work in the artistic part of the week:
Well, the world is really unpredictable!
Last week I was pretty sure I had all the sketches ready but I ended up messing with the time I had and falling behind on my own deadlines.
Things that were not in my control happened and this will make me think again, now I will consider these unpredictable things a little more!
But I managed to finish the base painting of all the sets! I'll only show those 4 though (bedroom, living room, stairs and hallway).

122 Sem Título (4).png
123 Sem Título (8).png
125 Sem Título (5).png
127 Sem Título (3).png

Coloring the books was a nightmare!!!! But when I finished, it was amazing to see everything beautiful and colorful (I had help from my younger brother to choose the colors, however, just pick any color didn't work).

And finally!
I'm also showing you a much nicer idea of the main menu!

137 Sem Título_20230321141902.png

This time, I don't have much to say about the written part. I finished writing the day 4 and 5; 6 however is still in progress and I intend to finish it after I finish writing this update (it was just over 12,000 words written). If we weren't already going into the last week, I would probably start writing in the goals for the next week that I intend to write 2 and a half chapters instead of 3 chapters, as apparently I couldn't finish writing everything I planned in any one week. (but it was for a good cause, I assure you).
Anyway, there's only 1 and a half chapters left to finish writing in full, and the last chapter will probably be a little shorter than the others, so we're almost done with this! And, once I'm done, I'll finally be free to start programming too!

What we did this week:
- Finished all backgrounds (color and rendering).
- The base sketch of the menu.
- The rest of the writing for the day 4, the day 5 and part of the day 6.

- Finish the menu.
- The clickable items of the minigames.
- The rest of the visual identity (text box, logo, etc).
- Finish writing all the chapters (the missing part of 6 and 7).
- Do the programming.

Extra (if we have time):
- More clothes for the characters.

Maitê002

Re: [PRE-RELEASED] Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

#6 Post by Maitê002 »

CAPA.png

Last week!
This past week was definitely... intense. We're posting this (and publishing our game) a little late, since NaNoRenO officially only runs until the end of march, but at least we got everything done! And we'll keep this experience to be more organized with time and project size next time!

First of all, I have one important thing to say: since english is not our native language (we are from Brazil), we wrote the entire game in portuguese and plan to translate it to english soon after. The english translation is not quite finished yet, so this version we released has only the portuguese language, but soon we will release the english version and we will announce it here! (tomorrow, probably, I hope...)

========================================================================================================================================

As always, Dook will start by talking about his experience with art, especially this past week:

Last Week.
It was definitely an experience.

10 Sem Título2_20230401220219.png
10 Sem Título2_20230401220125.png

In the end I managed to deliver everything I needed, unfortunately not everything I wanted I had time to do, but the necessary was delivered!
The kids each have two different outfits, three poses, and lots of cute little faces!!!
The backgrounds are colorful and bright!
And each mini-game has its own feel and dynamics!

The feeling I wanted to convey is present in everything! or at least I hope so...

10 Sem Título2_20230401221033.png

Maybe I may have put some of my wishes and ideals of a parental figure into the script through Father, but I don't think it's something to complain about, in the end, the character Shin is for me the kind of guy I would love to be my actual father, with a way of educating and interacting with the children that is just, in my view, perfect!
The house too, so many colors and cute things! A definite dream! It has everything that would be wonderful to interact with as a child, playful and simple and bright and smiling!!!

Seeing this game forming was an amazing experience, being a part of it then Ha! I can't even begin to describe how happy I am to know that spending all this cute and warm and cozy stuff that is this game with other people and hopefully, making you guys also feel good and cuddly and warm playing it as much as I felt doing it.

10 Sem Título2_20230401220053.png

========================================================================================================================================

As for me, I've already told you a lot about my experience writing Triplets Trouble here, so I'd rather not say any more about it, lest I end up giving spoilers. All I'll say is that I managed to convey the pleasant and cute atmosphere that I would have liked, so I hope you feel good and have fun with the story and getting to know these characters!

As for the programming... well, leaving it until the last week to program the entire game was probably my biggest mistake (or maybe it was the fact that I decided to take a chance and learn things I had never tried before at the last minute). We ended up having some problems with the menu that took longer than expected to fix, as well as several other little things that made everything take much longer. Another experience for the next NaNoRenO or next gamejam!

Still, despite the difficulties and the fact that not everything turned out the way I wanted, I managed to program all the minigames in a functional way, I think all of them were fun to play, especially considering the limited time. One of the things we realized early on in the programming is that, due to the height of the characters, it was very difficult to put them all together on the screen: either the adults were too tall or the children too short. Sure, we could just shift the images around a bit to make them all fit on the screen, even if it didn't make that much sense narratively... but we decided to do it the hard way. And this was the result:

Print2.png
Fofos.jpg

And that is also part of the reason for the delay! Switching between the father's and the sons' points of view wasn't difficult, but it required more attention and time. Not every scene was always done this way and we managed to find some ways to put them all together in some scenes without it affecting the narrative. Also, we were able to use this as a way to focus on the characters and their point of view, what they are seeing and how they see the world, without having to describe it directly. So... I would say that, despite the difficulties, it was a very welcome solution to the initial problem!

Despite the delay and the fact that not everything turned out exactly as planned, I think we managed to do a pretty good job considering it was a game made in only one month and especially our first NaNoRenO.

Even though it is a short and quick story, I hope you enjoy the story, the characters and have fun with the mini-games. The triplets have a gigantic imagination and can turn any bad or boring situation into something fun and enjoyable; I hope we can pull you into their world, even if just a little bit, and turn a perhaps not so pleasant day into a fun experience!

Maitê002

Re: [RELEASED] Triplets Trouble!!! [NaNoRenO2023] [Slice of Life] [Family] [Comedy] [Point'N'Click] [Free]

#7 Post by Maitê002 »

In addition to portuguese, "Triplets Trouble!!!" is now also available in ENGLISH!

Get the game via Itch.io!

https://myc-games.itch.io/triplets-trouble