[Solved] Need help updating .ico icon

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
yon
Regular
Projects: YDSP
Soundcloud: tetra-yon
itch: v-ual

[Solved] Need help updating .ico icon

#1 Post by yon »

This sucks, I released my game two months ago, and only just realized there was an issue because someone shared a screenshot of their desktop, where I noticed that the game still had the default shortcut icon. I didn't realize that there was a problem, because I changed the window_icon.png file in /gui, and that worked just fine, and I didn't think to test that the shortcut icon was updated, too.

Now that I'm trying to do it, nothing seems to work.

I can't test whether .icns works because I don't have a mac, so I have no idea whether that's going to be fixed on the next build.

I have a 256x256 image, which I exported to .ico in GIMP, 32 bpp. 8-bit alpha, no palette. I placed the icon.ico file in the /game root folder. I build distribution, unzip pc folder to my desktop and open it up. It still shows default.
I delete the .zip of the distribution and try again.
I did it again, exporting as .ico, 4bpp, 1-bit alpha, 16-slot palette. Replace image, build, unzip. Default icon.
I clear my icon cache by looking in app data. I restart explorer.exe in my task manager. Restart computer. Build, unzip. Still default.
I try again, using the site https://anyconv.com/png-to-ico-converter/ linked in the documentation. Same result.

Why isn't this working?

It sucks to know that people have been downloading the game and were met with a default desktop icon. It reflects poorly on the game. Please help.
Last edited by yon on Sun May 21, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Need help updating .ico icon

#2 Post by PyTom »

You don't put it in game. You put it in base, which is one level above game.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

yon
Regular

#3 Post by yon »

Hi PyTom! Sorry to make you help out with this.

I moved them to base and tried exporting, but it's still giving me the same default icon, and I'm not sure why.

I tried exporting again, making sure I had the dimensions right (256x256) and setting it to 4bpp, 1-bit alpha, 16-slot palette in GIMP. Deleted the .zip for the last distribution, built, and unzipped again. Still getting default icon. I even tried refreshing it before building, in case that did anything.

I would include it here, but the forum doesn't seem to allow me to attach an .ico file.

yon
Regular

#4 Post by yon »

Okay, NOW it seems to work.

I restarted my PC, deleted the old zip file, deleted persistent files, forced recompile, refreshed, updated old-game, and built again.

I have no idea which of those steps was the key, but I'm including all of those here just in case.