WIP/DEMO/INTRO ... next steps?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
BlackjagX
Organization: Blackjag Productions
itch: blackjagx

WIP/DEMO/INTRO ... next steps?

#1 Post by BlackjagX »

Hi.
I [finally] have my 'intro' ready for others to view and comment on.
So I'm wondering what the next steps may be.
I don't really want to 'send it out there' just yet.
Rather, I'd just like someone with experience to look it over for any glaring rookie errors.

Also wondering what's the best way to strip it down before compiling it into a release package.
What to leave in and what to take out before building the rar folder.

Any help and guidance much appreciated.
Cheers

* The VN is +18 and suitable for adults only. *
intro test.png

Another_Tom
Regular
Completed: Harold And The Witches
Projects: Steven On The Run
itch: dantom

Re: WIP/DEMO/INTRO ... next steps?

#2 Post by Another_Tom »

Hello blackjag, I would like to see your demo. Does a video or downloadable file exist? Is the story already finished? What do you mean by next step?

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#3 Post by Mutive »

I definitely recommend beta testers. Getting feedback prior to release is really important!

If possible, I think it's especially helpful to have someone play as you watch. See how long it takes them to play. See if there are things they struggle with. See if there are parts they're lingering on, laughing aloud at, or skimming. This may not solve all your problems, but I've learned a LOT by watching (very patient) friends play my games.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Mutive wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:23 pm I definitely recommend beta testers. Getting feedback prior to release is really important!

If possible, I think it's especially helpful to have someone play as you watch. See how long it takes them to play. See if there are things they struggle with. See if there are parts they're lingering on, laughing aloud at, or skimming. This may not solve all your problems, but I've learned a LOT by watching (very patient) friends play my games.
I totally agree (been there done that). Having a 'second set of eyes' test your game/VN before general release will save you a ton of headaches.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

BlackjagX

#5 Post by BlackjagX »

Another_Tom wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:29 am Hello blackjag, I would like to see your demo. Does a video or downloadable file exist? Is the story already finished? What do you mean by next step?
Hi tom.
Long time, no reply. Apologies.
Been busy getting things in place.

The story is finished but not yet renpyed.
Im working on releasing the intros shortly.
In the wip and demo section here first to see how the reaction is.
Then itch as part 1,2,3 etc.

BlackjagX

#6 Post by BlackjagX »

Mutive wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:23 pm I definitely recommend beta testers. Getting feedback prior to release is really important!

Thanks mutive, good advice.
Im a bit wary to ask ...wanna try my nsfw visual novel.. but im sure its the best way to get a true guide on how it really works.

BlackjagX

#7 Post by BlackjagX »

fleet wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:48 pm

I totally agree (been there done that). Having a 'second set of eyes' test your game/VN before general release will save you a ton of headaches.
Hey fleet,
Thanks for the tip.
Ill trial it here first and hopefully get some feedback.
Cheers