Ai writing VNs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Ai writing VNs?

#16 Post by Imperf3kt »

The first half dozen comments mention how AI isn't particularly creative.
beta.chatacter.ai begs to differ
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#17 Post by Donmai »

beta.chatacter.ai took me to a strange place I probably should never have visited. But beta.character.ai seems to be a lovely playground. :)
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#18 Post by Imperf3kt »

Donmai wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:54 am beta.chatacter.ai took me to a strange place I probably should never have visited. But beta.character.ai seems to be a lovely playground. :)
Well now, typos do be fun lol
Sorry about that 😅
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

KingmakerVN
Regular
Projects: Kingmaker

#19 Post by KingmakerVN »

MapletreePaper wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:44 pm
Donmai wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:04 pm Not so scary at all. Or at least as frightening as a typewriter must have seemed to calligraphers or a motorized loom to hand weavers. AI is just another tool. It will not replace talented people, only make them more productive.
This is how I feel too. If you look into how modern AIs are made, you'll see that while they're certainly very knowledgeable, they're not actually that intelligent. That is why all the concerns about AI taking over creative fields, while understandable, seem completely overblown to me.
It was like a year ago when were laughing at how shitty AI images were. It is advancing quite fast so I wouldn't say it's overblown.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#20 Post by Donmai »

Good point. But I wonder if generative AI is actually becoming capable of generating better images or if it is people who are becoming better acquainted with how to use this tool.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Chains

#21 Post by Chains »

I like using AI to come up with story prompts and ideas. I usually chat around with characters at CharacterAI and if I like a direction they take the story I note it down. But I also think that people shouldn't rely too much on AI even if the stories they write can be amazingly close or identical to basic stories a human writer could write. The issue I see with it is that no matter how amazing it is, I still value the human input, even if a story would be identical to a story written by humans. That's why people like AI art but once you tell them it's AI they might suddenly find it ugly. Because the emotional value is removed once they learn this was created by an AI in a minute. I feel similiar about AI VNs. While it's amazing and it might pass as written by a person, it might become boring or lose value once I know that there was not the same creative journey behind it as a VN written by a human. I want humans to write the stories, put their thoughts into it, spend time on it. I think some people feel similiar about it. When I read a story I want a human touch to it, even if an AI could write it as amazingly and flawlessly and do so in a short time. I might still not play an AI VN if no human was involved in the story and if the human who uploaded it just took it as the AI spit it out. It's interesting for sure, and I like to look at AI from time to time. I think it was already said that the progress is amazing and it already came so far. I also think that AI art already looks beautiful if you remove the aspect that it was made within 1 min by a machine. As was already said the AI will not replace a human tho, it might just help creative heads so work faster. And the consumer already knows how it works, so people who use only AI for their game should not expect the player to pay for more than it's worth. Especially if they are aware the art wasn't hand drawn but made within less than a day. That's what people who use it have to keep in mind. And consumers are already good at spotting AI art and writing since there are pattern that people who use it actively know about. We will surely see more AI written VNs in the future, but I also think that the ones that will be most successful (for now) will be those who use it sparingly to speed up their progress, without relying on it too much and without removing the creative journey of the creator that makes players feel more emotional about the VNs.