How to clear Speech bubbles with retain=True?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
felsenstern
Regular

How to clear Speech bubbles with retain=True?

#1 Post by felsenstern »

Hi,

I use speech bubbles with retain=True

define blub = Character("Blub", image="blub1", kind=bubble, retain=True)

I use it like:
blub "Hello Speech Bubble!"

but how can I get rid of it, once the scene is over? A scene change like:
scene newscene02
with fade

changes the scene but the bubbles still retain in the new scene.
---
Yes, I've Read The F*cking Manual
Yes, I've used the f*cking search function
Yes, I've used a site search
No, I don't need a reminder that search functions exist
No, I don't need your astonished outbreak that I couldn't find the information
No, I don't need your answer if you can't just give it without all the BS around it

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How to clear Speech bubbles with retain=True?

#2 Post by m_from_space »

felsenstern wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:46 pm but how can I get rid of it, once the scene is over?
https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/bubb ... ed-bubbles
In the bubble editor, pressing the "(clear retained bubbles)" button will remove all of the retained bubbles from the screen, except for the most recent.

felsenstern
Regular

#3 Post by felsenstern »

???
When I run the game, there is no (clear retained bubbles). That's just a button in the speech bubble editor. I am talking about the speech bubbles when they are actually display in the game not in the editor.
---
No, I don't need your answer if you can't just give it without all the BS around it

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

felsenstern wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:47 pm ???
When I run the game, there is no (clear retained bubbles). That's just a button in the speech bubble editor. I am talking about the speech bubbles when they are actually display in the game not in the editor.
Yes I know what you are asking for. :)

So with the speech bubble editor you determine the location and size of a bubble and when it comes to retaining bubbles, you also define the moment they all will disappear, for example in a new scene.

In your case you bring the game to the point in the new scene where all bubbles should be cleared and then you hit the "clear retained bubbles" button. Then Renpy will save that state into the bubble data.

felsenstern
Regular

#5 Post by felsenstern »

So, just to make that clear before I drop the whole speech bubble idea again. There is no other way to control speech bubbles in RenPy other using the speech bubble editor which then creates a nested list in json format linked to the actual script?

Besides, when I change the screen in which the bubbles should be cleared as well, the speech bubble editor no longer recognizes any bubble and doesn't give me the option to clear the screen. And when I deleted it before, it just deleted all but the last bubble and has it saved now, after which I had to delete the whole json conf and remake everything. Are you sure this is the only way to get speech bubbles, no way to set locations and sizes and clear out speech bubbles with script commands?
---

felsenstern
Regular

#6 Post by felsenstern »

It doesn't seem I can delete the last bubble, the last speech bubble stays there and doesn't go away and in the new screen there are no controls over the speech bubbles anymore as if RenPy has forgotten that they are still showing. Anyway, if there are no script commands to use speech bubbles, I will rather create my own screens and screen calls.
---