Pause without skipping the animation(effect)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kkh829

Pause without skipping the animation(effect)

#1 Post by kkh829 »

Hello, :D I'm a beginner RenPy developer.

I want to let the player watch the forest background slowly change to a black background, also can't skip it.
I used 'hard pause' to stop the player from skipping and this seems to work well, but still have got a little problem.

Even though I've used hard pause, I can still skip the dizolve3 effect. (dissolve3 is a three-second dissolve effect.)
So as soon as I click L button, background is instantly black.

I want to keep the player from skipping the dissolve3 effect for 3 seconds.

Below is my code.

Code: Select all

scene bg_forest
    show model_1

narrator "Shut down the system."

scene bg_black with dissolve3
    hide model_1
    $ renpy.pause(delay = 3.0, hard=True)

jeffster
Veteran

Re: Pause without skipping the animation(effect)

#3 Post by jeffster »

kkh829 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:04 pm I want to let the player watch the forest background slowly change to a black background, also can't skip it.
I used 'hard pause' to stop the player from skipping and this seems to work well, but still have got a little problem.

Even though I've used hard pause, I can still skip the dizolve3 effect. (dissolve3 is a three-second dissolve effect.)
So as soon as I click L button, background is instantly black.

I want to keep the player from skipping the dissolve3 effect for 3 seconds.
Several approaches could be used, such as

* Temporarily disabling "advance" function (of "mouse Left Button" and "Return" key).
* Showing the animation/effect on another layer, below the usual "master" layer. Then it would not be affected by that skipping.

But the easiest way is to define an image with ATL block having dissolve effect
https://renpy.org/doc/html/atl.html

Code: Select all

image forest_dissolve:
    "bg_forest"
    "black" with Dissolve(3.0)

label start:
    scene bg_forest
    show model_1

narrator "Shut down the system."

scene forest_dissolve
    $ renpy.pause(delay = 3.0, hard=True)
If the problem is solved, please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. 8)