Ren'Py 6.7.1 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.7.1 Released

#46 Post by PyTom »

Oh, I see the problem. It's escaping the ' in Ren'Py, when it really shouldn't be.

Could you try changing the name of G:\Ren'Py to G:\RenPy, and see if that fixes things?

I'm considering releasing a 6.7.1d that has some improvements to jEdit and some other new features. If that works, I'll slipstream a real fix into the 6.7.1d release.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nikolai

#47 Post by Nikolai »

Removing the apostrophe from the directory name did the trick. Thanks.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#48 Post by PyTom »

I just released 6.7.1d, which includes a bunch of jedit fixes that make it a bit better to use:

- There is now a jedit.exe that runs jedit on windows.
- The WhiteSpace plugin is included by default, showing indentation.
- Folding is enabled by default.
- The renpy mode will no longer reindent lines automatically.
- Backspace will now delete indentation.

herenvardo
Veteran

#49 Post by herenvardo »

PyTom wrote:- There is now a jedit.exe that runs jedit on windows.
Thanks ^^.
I have a minor suggestion here: could the exe include an icon (ideally, jEdit's one)? That way, when creating a filetype association on Windows XP or newer via "Open with", windows will create an appropriate icon for the new type (like a sheet of paper with the program's icon on it).
PyTom wrote:- The WhiteSpace plugin is included by default, showing indentation.
I don't know what's that, so I won't comment about it.
PyTom wrote:- Folding is enabled by default.
Thanks ^^.
PyTom wrote:- The renpy mode will no longer reindent lines automatically.
Thanks ^^. A lot! :P
PyTom wrote:- Backspace will now delete indentation.
Or, at least, it tries :roll: ... Actually, what it deletes are "tabs". Having the "soft tabs" option on, as it is by default, should make this almost the same, but there is a little gotcha (maybe this is only happening to me, but this time I changed nothing in the editor between downloading and trying it, so it's not likely): "Tab width" is by default set at 8, and "Indent width" is set at 4: this means that the Tab and Backspace keys will always add and remove, respectively, two levels of indentation. Since the default template files for new projects use 4 spaces as the indentation width, I'd suggest setting both values to match this.

In summary; I'm now starting to seriously consider using jEdit. There are some little things I think are missing (most prominent, the ability to launch the game from the editor); but it's already an option to keep in mind.

[EDIT:]Almost forgot! There is something I find a bit annoying, which was done with Scite and has now been done with jEdit: why the help files are missing? :cry: I can only imagine one reason for this (to shave some MB for low-bandwidth users' sake); but could it be possible to provide the editor's help? (maybe as a separate download, or even as a link to the editor's site if the help is available there separately). Sometimes a user might want to fine-tune the editor to particular needs (I've found myself in this situation more than once), and lacking the needed docs to do so can be quite frustrating.
[/EDIT]
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#50 Post by PyTom »

It was done to shave bandwidth, the user help for jEdit is 286k zipped. The api documentation is even more.

Since you can view the documentation at:

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=docs

I didn't think it was worth the additional download size.

At least for me, the new code deletes 4 spaces, which are currently the default in the configuration.

herenvardo
Veteran

#51 Post by herenvardo »

PyTom wrote:It was done to shave bandwidth, the user help for jEdit is 286k zipped. The api documentation is even more.

Since you can view the documentation at:

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=docs

I didn't think it was worth the additional download size.
I think that giving at least a link somewhere in the download page would have been useful, taking in account that this release has switched from the Scite most users were used to to the new thing that jEdit represents for this community. However, that's just an opinion.
PyTom wrote:At least for me, the new code deletes 4 spaces, which are currently the default in the configuration.
:shock: So a clean install on a separate machine got messed up without me getting involved? Being one of my machines, where things often happen with no apparent reason, I can believe it... yet it took me by surprise ^^;

Something else I just noticed (although not a serious issue, but just an anecdote) is that I've been unable to find the source files of jEdit on the http://www.renpy.org/dl/lgpl/renpy-deps-6.7.1.tar.bz2 archive (there is a jEdit folder in it, but it only has the compiled binaries); of course it's possible that the sources are there and I'm just blind... Not that I have any interest on them right now, but since jEdit is GPLed and you are distributing it, you are supposed to distribute the sources as well (or provide a written offer, valid for at least three years... I guess you already know that stuff), and that file seems to be the place to put such sources in. Anyway, it's not likely that the jEdit team would sue you, it's just that I got surprised not to find it there.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#52 Post by PyTom »

There should be a jedit4.3pre15source.tar.bz2 along with the decompressed binary copy.

herenvardo
Veteran

#53 Post by herenvardo »

PyTom wrote:There should be a jedit4.3pre15source.tar.bz2 along with the decompressed binary copy.
Ouch! Confirmed: I'm definitely blind ^^;

Nikolai

#54 Post by Nikolai »

PyTom wrote:I just released 6.7.1d
The apostrophe error remains. Was that intentional? (If so, I'll just leave my folder names as they are.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#55 Post by PyTom »

No, it should have been fixed. Did the error message change at all?

Nikolai

#56 Post by Nikolai »

No -- the error was a repeat of the original error message, namely:

Unable to access jarfile G:\\Ren\'Py\\renpy-6.7.1/jedit/jedit.jar

Removing the apostrophe from the directory name causes jedit to run without complaint.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Adorya »

Antivir warned me about Trojan horse TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen in jedit.exe, then got a CRC error from 7zip in file sound.so
Downloaded from official link :
http://www.renpy.org/dl/6.7.1/renpy-6.7.1-sdk.7z.exe
Same case for this link :
http://www.renpy.org/dl/6.7.1/renpy-6.7.1-sdk.zip

Edit: denied access and all files seems ok but jedit.exe. Scanned my computer and it seems fine so? :?:

Edit: while jedit.exe still "locked", I was able to use the editor through renpy with the .jar file...

Nikolai

#58 Post by Nikolai »

Nikolai wrote:No -- the error was a repeat of the original error message, namely:

Unable to access jarfile G:\\Ren\'Py\\renpy-6.7.1/jedit/jedit.jar

Removing the apostrophe from the directory name causes jedit to run without complaint.
My apologies -- it appears the 7zipped version of 6.7.1 was updated, but the regular zipped-up version was not.

The 7zipped version worked just fine, even with an apostrophe in the directory name.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#59 Post by PyTom »

The zipped-up one does seem to have updated, at least according to the download I just did. But with caching and whatnot, I'm willing to believe the bug is fixed.

Adorya, I just scanned the downloads for viruses, and didn't find any. Perhaps your download was corrupt.

(If others can scan the new 6.7.1 downloads, I'd appreciate it.)

abominatron

#60 Post by abominatron »

I have scanned with trend micro house call and sysclean and found nothing (separately, of course, not at the same time).
I scanned version d, which I downloaded last night.