Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Fang-tan
Regular

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

#1 Post by Fang-tan »

Umineko is my favourite VN. <3
Is there any other fans around here? I'm looking forward to ep5 very much. Virgilia is my favourite but I pretty much like everyone cept Eva and Shannon (even Shannon I don't mind). I don't care for Ange either but she is badass
and the end (err... tea party?) of ep4 was terribly, terribly depressing. Not even just Ange and Battler's scene. Beato and Battler's end was just too sad to watch (watch?).
I cried for... like... ever. :cry:
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

Re: Umineko no Naku Koro ni

#2 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Heh. I don't think I can get away with not posting in this thread... I praise the series with every breath. Episode 4 really was brilliant, but it's a shame the translation has only gotten as far as it has... it's a longer episode with a slower but important start...

The only other thing to say is how could you possibly NOT care for Shannon all that much, and yet, not have Rosa placed on your hate list. It's just... it's just not right...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Fang-tan
Regular

#3 Post by Fang-tan »

I thought Witch-Hunt was doing a wonderful job with their translation. Unfortunately, I can't get the patch to work.

Heh, I don't really have anything against Shannon. I just think she's... pretty boring. Although I really felt for her and George in ep3 (I felt so tricked at the end of that one XD). And I don't mind Rosa. I feel bad for her, really. When Eva-Beato went after her (Beato's mercy killing was too ;____; for me) and at the end of ep2. Well, the end of ep2 really made me feel for her.
Between the tea party with eating her siblings and almost having her daughter made into a pie (badass Battler saves the day~) and the actual end of the game where she, although having been badass in the name of love, realizes whats important too late.
Rather, I dislike Kyrie far more than I dislike Rosa and Shannon.
But even she doesn't compare to my mega-haet of Eva.

But my favourite parent is definitely Natsuhi though. Virgilia and Natsuhi are my tops. <33
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#4 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Hashihime wrote:And I don't mind Rosa. I feel bad for her, really. When Eva-Beato went after her (Beato's mercy killing was too ;____; for me) and at the end of ep2. Well, the end of ep2 really made me feel for her.
This was actually my opinion up to Episode 3, where the tally stood at "Sympathize with: Rosa, Hate: Annoying Bratty Maria", but that took a really really hard U-turn with Episode 4 and despite the parts where Rosa does get her redemption (and there's even a scene or two in Episode 4 like this), I'm still not going to change my mind about her anymore. Maria-chan all the way!!!

As for Kyrie, I actually really took to her early, but she doesn't get much screen time till Episode 3, and that's where she really sold herself... However, again, as so many other things change during the last episode, my opinion of her flipped in 4 too... I'm not really sure what to think of her now, but I can imagine some pretty frightening scenarios that would scare me away from liking her at all... Shame too, because she seems like one of the brightest of the whole cast.

Calling Shannon boring?! Well, let's just hope for your sake Hime-sama doesn't hear a word of that... and in the unfortunate case she does, she'll be merciful...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Fang-tan
Regular

#5 Post by Fang-tan »

I never hated Maria. Infact, she was a favorite from the start. I didn't like Jessica in ep1 because of how she and Natsuhi ganged up to kick her and the others out. (This was before I knew of her and Kanon's relationship of course). Rosa is pretty awful in ep4 though so I can understand where you're coming from. Also, witch Marisa is just too cute.

I didn't mind Kyrie until episode 3. Her jealousy made me dislike her. Especially because it made the whole miscarriage-Asumu-Ange-Kasumi/fiancée thing seem like a soap opera gimmick.

orz
Speaking ill of a meido isn't my style anyways.

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#6 Post by Hime »

DrakeNavarone wrote: Calling Shannon boring?! Well, let's just hope for your sake Hime-sama doesn't hear a word of that... and in the unfortunate case she does, she'll be merciful...
Ohohoho! Perhaps I can forgive this half-namesake this time... After all, it is only to my benefit that everyone doesn't love my wife as much as I do. They won't try to steal her if they don't, you see. But in my opinion, as you know, Shannon is love. <3

Seems we have the exact opposite taste, me and her, though, as I love Shannon, Kyrie and Beato. I have yet to play EP4 though, but I don't think it will change my tastes too much. :3 Might increase my liking for Maria though, from what I've heard - if it made drakey love her instead of hating, and I kind of like her already.

But it's truly a masterpiece, and very inspiring. Ryukishi07's work is one of the best examples of how far you can get with indie efforts. I also really admire him because of how he reacted to the English translation... Not many Japanese developers would like a free translation patch. ^^ I guess that means he is truly motivated by what many of us OELVN developers are driven by as well: the desire to tell a story and evoke feelings, as an artist. :3

edit: Whoa, I just noticed that besides having similar names, we're the same age and gender too. o_o; Scarily similar...

Fang-tan
Regular

#7 Post by Fang-tan »

Heh, you don't have to worry about me touching your waifu. I'd pick Virgilia or Natsuhi (maybe Siesta00 too) first any day.

I still like Beato too. How can you not love that twisted smile and adorable laugh? And ep4 will probably effect your liking of Maria. Actually, almost everybody takes a level in badass in ep4. Haha. You might think differently about Kyrie though...

Yes, I felt very proud for Witch-Hunt after Ryukishi07 responded so positively. Everyone did really I think. He really does seem like a great guy. Friendly and with a great imagination!

georgmay
Regular
Projects: Restriction

#8 Post by georgmay »

Umineko - embranchment of Higurashi.
I advise you to play first in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni(It's my favourite game :roll: ).
Returned

#9 Post by Guest »

georgmay wrote:Umineko - embranchment of Higurashi.
I advise you to play first in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni(It's my favourite game :roll: ).
Not true. One can definitely enjoy Umineko without having experienced Higurashi. The two share certain elements, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to call Umineko an "embranchment" of Higurashi.

(But, one should really play Higurashi too!)

Fang-tan
Regular

#10 Post by Fang-tan »

Yes, I prefer Umineko entirely. The characters really stand out more. I haven't really played Higurashi though. It's still fun to make guesses based on what I did know. Although I don't think there is too much real connection between the two.

frostieyes

#11 Post by frostieyes »

A fan of Umineko! I'm glad. Since I can't read Japanese, I've been playing Umineko in the English translations by the Witch Hunt, so I've played till the first 9 chapters of Ep4. But I really, really LUV Umineko :mrgreen:

Let's see... the characters first. Of the parents, I like Natsuhi, Kyrie, and Rosa. The fathers haven't done much yet, hope they rock in Ep 5 :D I like almost all of the children (that includes Kanon and Shannon). I also like the witches. But of course, my favorite's the red-haired siblings and Beatrice. Their triangular love affair :wink: is all the rage in Korea (my home country) and, I believe, Japan. But I expect my likings and dislikings to change, as it did in Higurashi no naku koro ni. Ryukishi knows how to flip people's emotions.

Although I'm a fan of Ryukishi07, I'm not a fan of his drawings... but I certainly love Umineko for its music. That's one helluva list of BGMs for an indie VN.

And of course there's the storyline. Nothing about this though, as only half of the game is out. I'm just hoping that Umineko doesn't follow the trend of Higurashi. It would be too boring, and I expect more of Ryukishi. Anyways, glad to see fans here too!

georgmay
Regular
Projects: Restriction

#12 Post by georgmay »

frostieyes, higurashi forever =)
Umineko - boring, i think. very boring. begin is very simple. and other.....
this is not my....

how it say Umineko on Korean?
russian: " Chaiiki "
Returned

busterj990

#13 Post by busterj990 »

Sa~ku~ta~ro!!! He is may favorite character :D . I also like Kanon, Shannon, George and Battler. I used to like Rosa until ep 4 now she is my least favorite. I didn' like the art at first either but after playing it for a while I think it matches the game. The bgm is amazing as well.

sooty15

#14 Post by sooty15 »

georgmay wrote:Umineko - embranchment of Higurashi.
care to link?

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#15 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

hmm...higurashi vs. umineko?
I'd say
higurashi + phoenix wright + malleus malificarum = umineko

comparing individual arcs
1 u>h 2 h>u 3 annoyed by both 4 u=h (for the first 9 chapters...)

I'm going off the anme version of higurashi tho. I don't have the originals.

that said, bernkastel is my favorite, just because I really liked Rika. After that is Ange, because I can relate to her on a personal level...
Anyone know how the anime version of umineko will be?
"I know that I have blood on me. I know because I see it here. the things i've done are not to be condoned nor praised."
-Aiya, daughter of Raik II
Castle of Arhannia- slowly progressing. script 60% art 5% music 0% minigame 90%