Ren'Py Roadmap

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.

Re: Ren'Py Roadmap

#151 Post by Guest »

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#152 Post by PyTom »

It doesn't appear that Pandora has been released yet. I'd also have to see some signs of popularity to port to it, although I think the port would be one of the easier ones.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Eniko
Regular
Projects: Revenant

#153 Post by Eniko »

I actually have a Pandora ordered so in case this happens I could probably do some testing, as it would be a pretty nice combination. I doubt there's much to really port though, considering it should run Python and SDL/PyGame out of the box.

draringi
Regular
Projects: "Project Shi" (working title); "Project JanFeb" (working title:LSFCCVNG entry)

#154 Post by draringi »

this is kinda necroposting (ok, it is out right necroposting come to think of it) but to quote the wikipedia article on pandora: "The Pandora system by default will come with an open source, Linux OS based on Ångström"
there already is Ren'Py available for Linux, so Pandora should be able to play the Linux version of any game made with ren'py.
Current Project: Wolfram Shadow Devlog
Personal Blog
Current Projects:
"Project Shi" (working title)
"Project JanFeb" due completion date: 28th Feb, 2010

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#155 Post by PyTom »

Well, Pandora uses the ARM processor, so someone would need to cross-compile for it. I've cross-compiled Ren'Py before, so that's doable.

That being said, we're only talking about a run of 4,000 units here, which isn't really that huge of an audience. (It's what the DS sells in a couple of hours.) Although I realize you're talking about a smaller form-factor here, there's also the issue that you can get a far more capable netbook for the same price.

It would need to really take off for me to spend time on it. If someone else wants to do it, I can try to support them.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#156 Post by EwanG »

PyTom wrote: Although I realize you're talking about a smaller form-factor here, there's also the issue that you can get a far more capable netbook for the same price.
For that matter, even resolution isn't that big an issue anymore. My Gigabyte T1028 is a nice 10.1 inch convertible netbook (screen twists and folds over to become a tablet) and has a 1366x768 screen resolution that handles RenPy at 1024x768 quite nicely. On Win 7 even with WiFi going I can usually get 4+ hours with it. So really I would see something like that as a better portable development environment.

IMNSHO of course.

If I end up getting one of the jobs I'm interviewing for this week, I may even have time in the evenings to actually start programming again :D
Working on something... might even be something good :D