Noob, but still a valid question.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Skittle Sama

#16 Post by Skittle Sama »

B)Skittle sama, two things:

i)where have you been? haven't heard from you in a while

ii)try firefox. it hasn't quite failed too many times... except on a couple select files from unstable servers.
Classes have been taking up so much of my time lately. I've been finishing my finals in 2DIllustration and then I had my last final yesterday for Graphic Design and Modern Media. Don't worry though, Z, I have been lurking around. Not to mention I've still been working on my game in the process.

If you're still interested, I've got some new art spoiler screens up. They're a couple of screenshots that I took in a 'mid-process' stage of the game's artwork and cutscreens. This is only on one character though. I've still got 3 more to go!

Oops! Running into eachother on the sidewalk!
Cutscene: Airbrushed just to show the color.
---

Secondly, I do use FireFox as my browser, but it didn't make a difference. I will go and check my e-mail now to see the wonderful 'sharing of wealth'. Thank you so very much!

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

New download works correctly. Just downloaded it, and unzipped it without a single problem.

For anyone who's interested, the way I fixed it before the download was changed, was by loading the zip file with WinRar, double clicking the single file that it said was all the zip file contained, which then led to the actual RenPy folder, which I was able to correctly unzip. Very strange... I can't make anything of it. Though, PyTom seems to know what's going on- good job.

I would like to concur with SilverFox- this is unequivocally the friendliest and most pleasant message board I have ever encountered. New members are inducted immediately, conversations are always positive, everyone is very supportive, and before I start to ask that we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, I'll end with their is an aura of comradery here that I've never felt anywhere else on the web. So kudos to everyone on these boards who contributes, and helps make this such a wonderful place to visit

Skittle Sama

#18 Post by Skittle Sama »

I definitely agree. Especially because that everyone on the board is wiling to help someone else unconditionally. It's indeed very selfless.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: For anyone who's interested, the way I fixed it before the download was changed, was by loading the zip file with WinRar, double clicking the single file that it said was all the zip file contained, which then led to the actual RenPy folder, which I was able to correctly unzip. Very strange... I can't make anything of it. Though, PyTom seems to know what's going on- good job.
Okay, basically what was going on was this:

The apache server that runs lemmasoft.renai.us, bishoujo.us, and renai.us uses a module called mod_deflate to save bandwidth. For example, as it stands before I post this message, the second page of this thread consists of 33k of html. When run through deflate, that gets reduced to a little under 8k... which is a big improvement, saving me bandwidth and you download time, especially on a modem.

The spec says that any file can be sent encoded, and that it's up to the browser to decode it before saving the file to the disk. Too bad Microsoft didn't read that spec. IE 5 has a bug in that it does not handle non-html files being deflated, and so forgets to inflate them before saving them.

What you saw in winrar was the deflate wrapper holding the normal Ren'Py archive.

Anyway, it's fixed now.

(Bonus info: Deflate is also used internally in Ren'Py to compress various data files.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom