Female, or male?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Are you male or female?

Male
57%
Female
43%

Total votes: 130

TedTurtle

#16 Post by TedTurtle »

I really don't care which gender someone here so I like to laugh at the guy who is trying to figure out what gender eclipse is. Does it really matter what gender someone is? Even though my Pen Name is Ted Turtle does that mean I'm a guy? For all you know I could be a girl pretending to be a guy or maybe I am a guy who likes to play with people's minds. Mwa ha ha!

bookie
Veteran

#17 Post by bookie »

I assume that because of the game I'm making, my gender is pretty obvious, but most of the time I like to move around the net in a gender neutral state. And as a result most people just assume I'm a guy and that's that.
Who knows, maybe it will allow us guys to act more chivalrous, and sensitive to those women who grace these forums.
No offense at all, but this is why I'd rather people falsely assume that I'm a guy, rather than have people start acting strange because they're in the presence of a woman. I find that if the person you are talking to thinks you're a guy, you can get a more serious conversation out of him. However, I've been accused of being a chauvanistic male too, so there's another edge to that sword.

As far as ren'ai games are concerned, there's a large female fanbase of BLgames, as far as I can tell, but their fanproject tend to be in the realms of fic and art, and few are interested in making a game for themselves. I belonged to a mail group that was dedicated to BL games for a while, and many people declared that they were going to make a ren'ai, but it was obvious they had no idea where to start and weren't doing more than daydreaming out loud. (But just incase I told everyone about renpy. XD)

Erm, I digress.

Oh, and Z, if you're making a gaia guild, invite me please. Name is the same as here, Bookie.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#18 Post by Megaman Z »

bookie>>adding to friendlist. username has an underscore and a "4" at the end... don't ask. red shirt, blond hair.

Turtle>>...or you could be crazy... but I doubt that.
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#19 Post by darkknight »

PyTom wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:I know exactly what you mean. After meeting PyTom, I no longer use someone's avatar to determine gender O_o
I thought the rule on this forum is simple. A person is of the opposite gender as their avatar.
Then may i ask what i am depending on my avatar
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#20 Post by PyTom »

darkknight wrote:Then may i ask what i am depending on my avatar
Well, your avatar is wearing a dress...
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by musical74 »

Like Okatu Dash, it's been drilled into me to be nice to women whenever possible...

I am male but I have a gender neutral nickname - and that's intentional. By having a gender neutral name nobody makes assumptions that they always seem to seem to when someone has a definite male or female name...I would NOT fit that mold anyways...

Now regarding eclipse...at first I wasn't sure if she was male or female and as a result kind of did the *say general things* as to not offend her by making the assumption that she was male and having her come down on me with *I'm FEMALE, you twit!!* or whatever...granted I don't THINK she would do that but why bother risking it....? Better safe than sorry!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Megaman Z »

PyTom wrote:
darkknight wrote:Then may i ask what i am depending on my avatar
Well, your avatar is wearing a dress...
dress? I always thought it was a robe, myself.

musical74>>yeah, when I screwed up and assumed eclispe was a guy (by saying "he"), PyTom cleared it up before eclipse had the chance to do any damage... (the extent of the possible damage, though, is beyond me.)
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#23 Post by rioka »

You guys are hilarious. Personally, I would never yell at someone for getting my gender wrong. (Points for you musical, for getting that one about me). I kind of think it's funny actually. I guess it's kind of unhelpful too that my name happens to be Rio. lol XD

re darknight: Funny you guys should say dress or robe because I thought darknight's avy was wearing a full-length chain mail. O_O Imagine that. The guys see dresses and robes, and the girl sees an armor. What is the world coming to? ;)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Megaman Z »

eclipse wrote:re darknight: Funny you guys should say dress or robe because I thought darknight's avy was wearing a full-length chain mail. O_O Imagine that. The guys see dresses and robes, and the girl sees an armor. What is the world coming to? ;)
I dunno. we could just be in a simulated environment run by these superior beings who think of us as a form of entertainment... but that's a bit too cliche', don't you think?
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#25 Post by darkknight »

ok to clear up the whole thing with my avi...It is a stone figure a female or male (I aint checking) with a robe from suikoden 4....

And i always thought that eclipse was a female....I dont see why or how anyone could have questioned it...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#26 Post by mikey »

oh no, eclipse, I'm jealous! It seems that you're a girl and everyone talks about you! (even me! noooooo!!!!). Seriously, is there a forum where a guy would be a minority? Like womengamers.com or similar? Perhaps some yaoi community? Most of the yaoi community in my country is (AFAIK) female. Hmmm...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#27 Post by papillon »

The adventure game forums have a high female percentage (or seem to) but I don't know if they're actually hte majority...

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#28 Post by kara24601 »

"Misato's Future Husband" should be more than enough clue along with the name "mikey" ( which to me is a male name...I've yet to know a female with that name ) that mikey's a guy. What is wrong with people? ( lol *grin* )
I was surprised one time when my dad told me alot of guys have the name Kara.
:shock:

But the "they could be a guy pretending to be a girl for kicks or vice versa" makes sense too.
I have two female characters in Endless Online and one male one.
I know a girl character on there that's owned by a male.
Hmm...I think I usually don't make snap judgements based on nicks and such alone , but I have sometimes.

Names like "PyTom" and "megaman z" are "obvious" that they're males to me. I think most names people use here could go either way.
And since I will never get over the "guys named kara" thing ( lol ) , "Kara" has been , is , and always will be a female name to me.

I guess it's just hammered into us by society to look at something and make snap judgements , wether it's nicks ...avs , or whatever.
This one time I had a cute av of my favorite doll and this butt made a huge deal about it. Just because a forum is mostly about RPGs or whatever , I shouldn't have a cute doll-related av and it means I'm a teenager? *rolls eyes*
He's anti-anime and stuff...like I explained to him...alot of adults have dolls and we're called collectors so it shouldn't be such a big deal to see a doll av on a woman's profile page....not just "brainless" teen girls are into dolls , Anime , cute stuff , and Manga.

I'm glad though that there are alot of people that get over that or whatever and can look at a graphic somebody likes to use and such without immediately going "omg a stupid anime , doll , manga , and cute-obsessed teen girl!"
and crap.
That's why I like communities like this one , you meet such caring open minded people and if / when they DO make a mistake they apoligize and stuff instead of wanting to fight about it and make fun of you.
*hugs everybody*

Just for the record , I've NEVER judged anyone based on their avs.
AVs are basicallly just pics we like to show off , really , even though we use them as a way to identify us , right?
So I always , do , and will always think it's silly to judge somebody based on their AV or let yourself be deluded or whatever in regards to what gender they are when it comes to AVs.

( back to the doll thing for a min...some guys collect them too )

I think I've rarely judged anyone based on their nick but unfortunately there's a lot of people that do.
I used the nick Vampsy alot in the past and have been called things like poser and wannabe. *rolls eyes*
The only thing I try to determine by a person's nick is their gender.
But usually I just think "hey a new person!" or something and don't think at all about what their gender could be....until / unless I am wrong with my initial guess and stuff....

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by musical74 »

"notices the ratio is becoming more equal"

Was reading kara's post and wanted to add something to that...

I collect fantasty element stuff. That is, pictures and books of things like dragons, faeries, wizards, elves, unicorns, etc etc etc. I suppose you could call me a collector of such things, although I don't consider myself one...BUT if you were to visit my place you would see fantasy things all over.

Pretty much everyone here is easygoing and helpful, and that means a lot in my wanting to continue to come back and post. =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#30 Post by JackalAndromeda »

mikey wrote:Seriously, is there a forum where a guy would be a minority?
For some reason the Oekaki community I hang out in (http://www.ochiba.net) is about 80-90 percent female and no one can figure out why. Maybe because we're crass little fangirls...