How to only view background with right click?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ninjagrass
Regular
Projects: To Love Ru Trial Trouble, Bleach Battle Ignition, A new secret project...

How to only view background with right click?

#1 Post by ninjagrass »

As in many VNs the right click on the mouse clears the screen leaving only the background. Is it possible with Renpy?

Will this also work with menus or the RPG frame?

Also is there a way to save during the prologue (spashscreen) ?

Thank you

Asphodel
Regular

Re: How to only view background with right click?

#2 Post by Asphodel »

I don't know about the background and right-click screen.

As for saving during the splashscreen, the splashscreen is what the player sees when the program first starts up -- that is, before they get to the main menu. Saving involves the use of the right-click screen, which contains a "go to main menu" option. Furthermore, the "start new game" option from the main menu doesn't play the splashscreen, but jumps right in to the game proper.

What I'm trying to say is, if you're putting enough content in the splashscreen that someone might want to save there, you've probably made a design error. A prologue should probably come after the main menu. Treat the splashscreen more like the dust cover of a book: there might be the title, some sort of logo, perhaps a montage of scenes from the game, but nothing essential -- just eye candy.

I would be very surprised if Ren'Py naturally supported saving during the splashscreen. If you're sure you really want to make it happen, you might have some luck with Renpygame.

Colo
Projects: Some Testgames ^^

#3 Post by Colo »

I think the keymap could be very usefull 4 this.

Klick

As I did understand it, mouseup_1 is the left mouse button, mouseup_2 should be the right one. otherwise it is mouseup_3 ;)

btw.:
The "up" means, that the button is released while action. Also "mousedown" exsists. This is, when the button is pressed. This can be usefull 4 drag 'n drop...

I hope, that this is not wrong in any way ^^
Real stregth is to show weakness.

ninjagrass
Regular
Projects: To Love Ru Trial Trouble, Bleach Battle Ignition, A new secret project...

#4 Post by ninjagrass »

Thank you, I guess the splashscreen its the main game, so I'll keep it small instead of a prologue.

The keymap is great, I'll try to configure, it to my needs. Thank you again.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

By default, viewing the background is done with middle click (or h). Changing the keymap is often a bad idea, as it means that people will have to spend time learning the keymap for each game, rather than being able to use the keys they learned from other games.

You can allow people to save during the splashscreen by setting:

Code: Select all

$ _game_menu_screen = "save_screen"
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Colo
Projects: Some Testgames ^^

#6 Post by Colo »

But if you make adjustments in the keymap, I think it is much more individual. And it is not that hard to give the reader an explenation of the keys in the beginning of the game and in the "help" data.

As you play a new game, you will always have to learn the new keyboard settings... or do cod and cs have the same controls?

I am sorry for that off-topic ^^
Real stregth is to show weakness.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

One of the advantages of Ren'Py is that playing new games you don't need to learn new controls. The visual novels scene would be far better if the standard controls were the same for each game. Now by all means add to those standard controls with your own additions, but don't take away the standard controls.

The function of right-click is probably the most common variation, though, as it does vary between "menu" and "hide textbox". I could see the argument if you wanted to align your game with the other of the two standard behaviours.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Asphodel
Regular

#8 Post by Asphodel »

I have a question about the keymap too.

I want to make it so that clicking on an imagemap hotspot responds on mousedown_1 rather than mouseup_1. (Because I'm crazy, I'm trying to use Ren'Py to create a Myst-style point-and-click adventure game. The conventions of that genre dictate that clicking should respond on mousedown because it feels more responsive.) I tried putting this code at the top of options.rpy, just below init -1 python hide:

# Maybe it'll help if I take the button away from what it's currently assigned to first?
    # (note: it didn't.)
    config.keymap['viewport_drag_start'].remove('mousedown_1')
    config.keymap['bar_activate'].remove('mousedown_1')

#config.keymap['button_select'].remove('mouseup_1')
    config.keymap['button_select'].append('mousedown_1')
    config.keymap['button_select'].append('mousedown_2')
    config.keymap['button_select'].append('t')
Only 't' appears to actually work. (I can hover a hotspot and press 't' and it will respond as if I clicked. This tells me that button_select is in fact the right attribute.) It doesn't seem to respond to mousedown_1 or mousedown_2 at all. I also tried putting the code (with $s) in the script.rpy init block, but to no avail.

(An interesting point of curiosity: "clicking" with 't' responds on keydown, not keyup. Probably doesn't mean anything, but I thought I should mention.)

What's going on?

Jake
Support Hero

#9 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote: Changing the keymap is often a bad idea, as it means that people will have to spend time learning the keymap for each game, rather than being able to use the keys they learned from other games.
On that note, though, how many VNs/VN engines outside of Ren'Py bring up a game menu on right-click? Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I've seen anything else doing it... but I've seen other VNs hiding the UI on right-click. I'm not sure I recall any doing anything other than hiding the UI, in fact. It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do for people who play other VNs, surely?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

Just looking at games I have handy:

- Family Project brings up a menu on right-click.
- Sharin no Kuni brings up a menu on right-click.
- Sekilala games clear the screen on right-click.

My gut-feeling is it's about 50-50, with story-based games usually biased more towards menus.

I did a survey of engines and games before picking Ren'Py's default bindings. Then I added tab for no good reason.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ninjagrass
Regular

#11 Post by ninjagrass »

PyTom wrote:By default, viewing the background is done with middle click (or h). Changing the keymap is often a bad idea, as it means that people will have to spend time learning the keymap for each game, rather than being able to use the keys they learned from other games.

You can allow people to save during the splashscreen by setting:

$ _game_menu_screen = "save_screen"
Thanks you! That solves alot of problems. Yeah, its better to add to the keymap rather than remove or change stuff from it.