Need artists for my project.

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
NewMember
Regular

Re: Need artists for my project.

#106 Post by NewMember »

Well lordxloudx seemed to agree as long as he/she gets a cut and also think platonicheart has also as of right now as long as he gets a cut of dreamcast fanboy2.

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#107 Post by Lotus »

Isn't Platonicheart in the hospital right now for something serious? :/ (she's a girl, by the way)

"Giving them a cut of the profits" can very easily lead to the artists being ripped off because you can tell them you sell less than what you actually did (and they would be none the wiser that you're lying to them). I highly doubt you'll sell ANYTHING, but the fact remains that you're sure as hell trying.

What you're basically doing right now is making it so that no artist would ever trust you in the future (I don't trust you now that you've pulled this).

NewMember
Regular

#108 Post by NewMember »

Right now I am reading STANDARD FORM OF AGREEMENT FOR DESIGN SERVICES and trying to create contracts in fact next time I will make the artists sign a contract before drawing.

clannadman

#109 Post by clannadman »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: They say they want the money for the VN, but I'm not sure what for exactly.
Maybe to pay the artists who designed them in the first place...

Kimiko
Regular

#110 Post by Kimiko »

You're selling the art on deviantArt, right?
Well, I've got a little question here. What if someone buys it with dA points? How do you "give them a cut of the profits" in this case? ^^'
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#111 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Kimiko wrote:You're selling the art on deviantArt, right?
Well, I've got a little question here. What if someone buys it with dA points? How do you "give them a cut of the profits" in this case? ^^'
I think DA pays out money in this case. you only get a certain percentage of the actual price of the print and I doubt DA would compromise the print business by giving people points. I assume they would send the owner the percentage in money. At least I hope they would >_>

And yeah, Wright1000 said Platonicheart is in hospital so you probably can't get in contact with her right now. I really hope she is okay...

Lotus
Veteran

#112 Post by Lotus »

I just noticed that you haven't credited anyone who did art for you on your DA or your NG account, but you don't forget to tell people to buy "your" prints.
It's like you're begging for artists to not trust you D:

NewMember
Regular

#113 Post by NewMember »

I have now. I am currently writing a contract to avoid such problems again.

clannadman

#114 Post by clannadman »

I think maybe you got a little ahead of yourself. You don't even have a completed project to begin with, much less one that has a fanbase to purchase the artwork on sale. I'd suggest you buckle down and focus on completing your game first rather than worrying about selling the project.

Lotus
Veteran

#115 Post by Lotus »

Thank you for at least crediting them. I know this does not concern me personally, but you were basically trying to make money off of someone else's art without even saying who the art was originally done by. Deviantart is a site to showcase one own's art; if you were to try to sell someone else's art without their permission (which you were), I'm fairly certain you could get banned.
(Yet another edit: I was looking at Newground's rules, and posting someone else's art is against the site rules, http://www.newgrounds.com/lit/faq/ . If someone wanted to they could get you in trouble.)

I highly suggest learning how to deal with artists, most of the time we have a specific way of doing things. I know of a few guides for dealing with us but I can't remember them off the top of my head xD I'll try looking for them. (Edit: here's one from FA, http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/924810/ It's a bit tl;dr, but please read the Customer parts at least)
Another edit: Here's a (nonfurry) article about commissioning an artist that also goes into details about legal rights, http://news.deviantart.com/article/100114/ . Please review the Legal Rights section of that article.

Clannadman is right, you definitely shouldn't aim to make money off of your very first project.
Last edited by Lotus on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#116 Post by SilverxBlue »

Uhhh, yeah platonicheart is a she and well she told me that she might get out soon, but she is not allowed to overwork herself anymore cause she is anemic. And when we were talking about this, she told me that she was not and most probably will not ask for money because she felt that she doesn't deserve that yet, so I think she'll still say no to that, especially if you're planning to sell them to someone else.

Don't worry though, we'll try talking about this once she gets well.

Sorry for butting in all of a sudden. XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

NewMember
Regular

#117 Post by NewMember »

Well I have disabled all prints created by Sapphi no sales no harm.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#118 Post by Taleweaver »

NewMember wrote:no sales no harm.
That's for your artists do decide, isn't it?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

NewMember
Regular

#119 Post by NewMember »

There should be a sticky on the recruitment board that states that it is mandatory for the artists to provide a contract before taking any requests.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#120 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

NewMember wrote:There should be a sticky on the recruitment board that states that it is mandatory for the artists to provide a contract before taking any requests.
No, no. It isn't mandatory. People are perfectly free to do requests and most of the time the informal agreement is enough. It is advised that people use contracts, but that is mostly for commercial work. People are not so strict when doing non-commercial work because it is seen as more of a favour, a kind deed. Your mistake was not mentioning your intention to sell the work they produced and you were very misleading because you never once said you would be using the artwork for anything other than a visual novel. In this case, the mistake is yours because you were not asking artists to work in a situation in which they would NEED a contract.

A contract is meant to PROTECT rights, not force people to do certain things. Even if you put in a contract that an artist has to hand over rights or whatever, artists may not want to sign it. In any case, you always need to ask peoples permission and get their consent to do anything. They gave you their consent to use the artwork in a visual novel, but nothing else, and you broke that trust.

Do not blame the artists for this one, you still did the wrong thing but not even asking.