Hardcastle and Cromwell and other Chronicles

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#106 Post by DaFool »

Wow...that's really updated stuff! Amazing research, thanks.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#107 Post by mikey »

^_^ though up until very recently this game wasn't included in the projects - I thought it was in, but it wasn't. But it is now. :P

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#108 Post by Counter Arts »

Hmm... is there any other features that you wanted me to program in? I think I lost track and stuff.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#109 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm, I can't think of anything which hasn't been mentioned already...

aside from implementing the interface you recommended, maybe you can start implementing the magic attacks, at least 2 spell slots each.

Thanks.

Now I have to hold up my end of the bargain. Hopefully by mid-March we can have a Quick Battle system going... to ease the stress off those participating in NaNoReno.

EDIT: Ahh, yes...
I tried inserting show statements in the midst of the engine...I sort of get where to place them but it's kinda messy. Is it possible for the engine to call a file called sequences.rpy which will be something like this

Code: Select all

#sequences.rpy

label Hero1Shoot:

# here are the scene, show statements displaying the CGs and playing the sound effects of the shooting sequence for Hero1

#...

label Grunt1Reload:

# here are the scene, show statements displaying the CGs and playing the sound effects of the reloading sequence for Grunt1

#...

#basically as many combinations as there are.
If I can just insert standard Ren'Py display and sound commands, that would be great. That way, it'll be easy to change the animations for the same battle system.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#110 Post by Counter Arts »

Yep, you can do that. I made a few examples if you follow the code. It's basically a switch statement.

But it IS a call you have to return afterwards though.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#111 Post by DaFool »

Okay, "Everything is Relative" story is complete (written in 2 sittings, in fact :D ) I'm holding off calling it as a result of

My Mom Can Make Visual Novels, Inc.

or

MyMom >> YourMom Productions

or

Wan can Cook, Mom can Write Ren'Ai

/DaFool hears chirping of crickets as the wind blows tumbleweed across a dry nondescript desert background

In any case, it's a serious scathing story that criticizes Catholic society, in stark contrast with the other stories I've written. It feels like the total polar opposite of dizzcity's Wedding Vows in theme. Also, she requested I release this as a separate standalone story.

So what this essentially means is that I am now 30 minutes deficient in reaching the holy grail of 4 hours playing time for HardCastle and Cromwell.

I plan to be cheap as usual and extend the gameplay aspect to make up for it. So now planning to have at least 20 different battles, with each battle taking 10 minutes. (Btw Counter Arts, can you tweak the stats so each battle will take a minimum of 10 rounds to complete, thanks). 200 minutes = 3 hours 20 minutes, leaving ample time to reach the mark even with speed reading. I'll need to plan the budgeting of the battle scenes so that the gameplay will be extended without being dragging.

Also, I'll need to write some bridging filler text... I haven't written stuff lately because I am eagerly working on another release that just needs finishing touches to get out the door. (How do set priorities to the projects I'm working or lending help on? Basically the closer it is to actual completion, the more attention I pay to it. Call it Release Euphoria / The Final Stretch or something)

As for "Everything is Relative", since it's a shorter more doable game, I hope to get the complete polished kinetic novel out in a month's time by the time my mother comes to visit again. It will coincide with the NaNoRenO releases most likely.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#112 Post by DaFool »

I know it may just be my subconscious cravings to write my own blog, but anyway, I am treating this thread as sort of like my own development blog. It works towards my own motivation (knowing I have an audience -- I'm an entertainer gamemaker, remember?), so that I can continually work towards that ambition of releasing something epic.

I'm at a crucial juncture, since progresswise this project is slowing down, and it risks going the way of a lot of other projects here.

Time to restrategize:

1.) I discussed the status of 'Everything is Relative' and it turns out its ok to put it on the backburner...until December even. She was just glad to have written something, and I have it backed up, so its ok. I was going to give it the minimalist treatment but it turns out she wanted character sprites as well. So alright, more requirements, but at the same time more time given. Thus as agreed, H&C will be prioritized over this.

2.) Since 'Everything is Relative' has gone independent, the whole anthology feel for the metaproject has been destroyed.

Thus, now it is more logical to merge Songs of Araiah into my own storyline. So far I have done nothing more than just insert the script into the engine and have it working. I think I'll have to split it up into arcs and splice it with the others. If I just continue the story as an independent entity as it is now it will be plainly evident where DrakeNavarone's quality writing ends and my own sucky writing picks up the story and runs it aground. So splicing it will be.

I see why DrakeNavarone found it hard to continue with this storyline...he essentially wrote an entire epic worldview -- while at the same time confining the story to two people who are stuck in one mansion and couldn't get out to explore that epic world. How does one resolve this story except placing a climax where a.) One or both characters finally get out of the mansion and meet their fate or b.) the characters outlast the outside world, either through divine providence or sheer sticking it out.

I am leaning towards b.) since in a world where two guys can become gun-toting lesbians with talking weapons and powered panties, then anything is possible :D

If DrakeNavarone is reading this (or anyone else who has read his script for that matter), I'd appreciate some input. Specifically which direction the plot should go. It's not spoiling, it isn't a mystery novel after all.

It's a good thing I write in chunks of semi-independent story arcs, otherwise they wouldn't survive so much juggling and rearranging. No wonder I'm such a kinetic novel knucklehead... always searching for the optimal sequence to tell one story, and to tell it strongly.

3.) My current priority is putting the finishing touches on someone's game for a surprise release in a week or so.

4.) The 300CG epic project will take priority after 3.) is finished and while H&C is back on steady course.

Didn't expect most of the recent 'developments' to be 'management decisions', but management and planning is still part of gamemaking -- perhaps the most important parts even.

-------------------

EDIT: To reiterate my goals for this project, so its plain to see I've outlined certain criteria to accomplish and which will determine when I can mark this project as a 'success' for me and all involved, and thus illustrate that my particular concept of the 'Great English Visual Novel' is actually something that is written in plain text instead of being some obscure dream of mine:

1.) (Commercial Length Goal) Minimum 4 hours (commercial-length) total playing time. The epic feel will be determine by extended battle sequences and battle dialogue (think DBZ, only interactive), as well as lots of adventure in the main story.

2.) (Innovative Gameplay Goal) Hybrid kinetic novel / turn-based strategy game. This will be called a "Kinetic Battle Novel".

3.) (Artistic Goal) Original Acid Jazz Soundtrack

4.) (Production Values Goal) Cinematic Event CGs.

5.) (Low-Budget / Efficiency Goal) NEW: This thread is now almost 2 months old. I give myself till end of June (for total 6 months development time) to complete this project.

We are still in good "achievable" standing with respect to each of the goals above.

While surprise-releases are always fresh, a project of this scale can't simply be done without extensive discussion and community input. Thanks to everyone for their help and support so far.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#113 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Tone down all the world view nonsense. And maybe some of the magic explanations too. There's too much and a lot is probably unnecessary... Although it did kinda add something to Melissa, since she's supposed to be quite the talker when she's in one of her lecturing modes. In fact, this was one of the bigger things on my list of edits if I had kept at it... What I handed you is really less than a rough draft, so it's pretty bad... And not only that, but I did you a big injustice by stopping immediately before one of the biggest scenes in the story. If you want, I can send you the version of the script with the small notes in it (mostly just really really brief outlines of scenes I've yet to write...) so you'd know where I was gonna go with it. But of course, you don't have to follow the outline at all, take from it what you want and rewrite whatever you want. Also, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask (either through email, pm, or just posting here) and I'll try to explain whatever nonsense I wrote.

And as for the ending, you're right suggesting the b path. They pretty much were just gonna wait the whole thing out I suppose. They certainly have all the time in the world, right? But in pure ren'ai fashion, they'd at least have each other, so they could live happily forever after.

But if Araiah is getting to be too much, just do what I did and drop it. I certainly won't blame you, and I applaud your effort for trying. Although I may be baised, I did like the story, but I also realized it's really not that good and it isn't worth investing that much effort into it (especially so if it delays the epic-in-making Hardcastle & Cromwell).
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#114 Post by DaFool »

Ah, thanks for responding, really appreciate it.

This was a rough draft? Pretty smooth if you ask me, and barely any typo or grammar errors.

Well, the thing is, I'm not really a good writer, so I doubt I can make anything "worth reading more" than whatever you wrote. I end up writing and deleting, writing and deleting, so if ever I do get a good chunk of text, most of it is just rambling on. Now I have a sizeable portion for H&C already, but knowing that I'm a slow reader, other people will breeze through it, and it really isn't epic. Now, Songs of Araiah comes as a godsend because it gives me a decent sidestory I can insert sort of like the Summer Arc in AIR.
Tone down all the world view nonsense. And maybe some of the magic explanations too. There's too much and a lot is probably unnecessary... Although it did kinda add something to Melissa, since she's supposed to be quite the talker when she's in one of her lecturing modes. In fact, this was one of the bigger things on my list of edits if I had kept at it
I'll try to reconcile the magic worldview described here to fit in with the [*cough* magic-panty-based] worldview in H&C. Like make the magic ruleset be consistent. I don't think that will be too much trouble.
And not only that, but I did you a big injustice by stopping immediately before one of the biggest scenes in the story. If you want, I can send you the version of the script with the small notes in it (mostly just really really brief outlines of scenes I've yet to write...) so you'd know where I was gonna go with it.
Yup, I'd now take you up on your offer. If you can just copy and paste the outline you had for the story that takes place after the script ends and send via pm, that would be great. At least I'll know the general direction you had in mind for the story, and I'll somehow take it on a similar route. Thank you.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#115 Post by DaFool »

Just an update for those involved in this project.

I am currently going for full-out polishing that other hybrid game I mentioned already and it might take most of March.

So this means more time is given, so not to worry.

But I will come back again full blast, and I shall deliver...