VNs with more story?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

Re: VNs with more story?

#16 Post by Chu-3 »

I completely speechless here.
Can you tell me what VN that you think has less story? @.@
I think VN's main sell-point should be the story since it is a Visual "Novel".
Is that only me that thought some VN's story is much better than movie??? OTL
(or maybe I played different kind of VN??? OTL)

clannadman

#17 Post by clannadman »

I went to a seminar on creative writing yesterday and the development of a good story was explained in quite simple terms.

Firstly, there is the Structure to look at. Is it a linear story, a circular story or does it involve flashbacks in non-chronological order?

Then there's the Development - knowing the basics for your story structure i.e. Man buys a car, Finds out car doesn't work, Returns car, End.

After that comes Characters which are probably the most essential part of a story. Know what they're like inside and out, otherwise they just become stereotypes rather than individuals.

With this in mind, you can now start developing your Story in depth. How are you going to do that?

Well what kind of Style are you going to use? Is it in prose? Poetry? Heightened Realism?

With these things in mind, a certain Mood can be decided upon such as whether it is sad or happy or disjointed, with which you can decide on a genre.

More importantly though is how it Begins and how it Ends. You can pretty much forget all of the middle stuff when reading a book so long as the beginning grips you and the end can leave you feeling that things are wrapped up.

It was a useful lecture from a writer for BBC Radio 4 Drama, who made sure to insist that you don't try to imitate anything but write in your own style rather than trying to copy what is already perceived as good literature. Only then can good, original work be found.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#18 Post by Coren »

Chu-3 wrote:I completely speechless here.
Oh, plenty. You know, when a Visual Novel's plot begins to suck even more than a typical Taiwanese drama, you know there is something wrong. Plot devices include:

- Guy loves girl because she yells. Apparently that's supposed to be 'special'.
- Guy loves girl because she smells. Like Twilight.
- Guy has no redeeming factor whatsoever, but girl likes him anyway because he's hot.
- Misunderstandings... Gosh, this is so overused and it's not even realistic. I, for one, will never like a guy who believes in stupid rumors about me, end of story.

As you can see, more and more of these ridiculous plot devices are being used in otome games and shoujo nowadays. It's not even funny anymore. I doubt that's called 'high quality plot'.

I rest my case.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#19 Post by azureXtwilight »

Chu-3 wrote:I completely speechless here.
I guess what I meant in story would be something that's not too stereotypical? I have a hard time explaining that too ('3')
And I guess it was a good example from Kirroha above.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#20 Post by Chu-3 »

@Kirroha
I know some games like that but games that I played recently are not within that category.
(Maybe some yes... but they have more stories than that...)

what i played and enjoyed the story/character are:
S.Y.K.
Clock Zero(some character's ending is not happy ending though)
Hanayaka nari, Wa ga Ichizoku
Hanaoni>>the novel is lot better though
Sangokurensenki >but a bit lack of romance?
Natsusora no Epilogue>story is good but the characters are shallow
Well the titles are not really new since I can't find any new interesting ones lately.

I guess that because I played different kind of VN. I played mostly GxB or mystery games.
And for mystery games, my favourite is still the Missing Parts series ><

So my opinion is well, I love a deep story, so after tried 1-2 character's route, I'll decide to do the rest or not depends on the story's similarity. Mostly the game I played recently has a secret that you'll know after you completed all routes. So the main goal is not dating the boys/girls. Dating is more like the sub-goal.

natsumi

#21 Post by natsumi »

It depends on the kind of VN I play.
For GxB/BxG, the background story like a main goal not involving romance is something good and original for me. But it shouldn't be an obligation.
You could have a simple romance plot like "I'm a simple girl and have 2 close friends who are in love with me, will I choose one, none or both?" and have a good story with interesting interactions between the MC and the other characters. (characters personality and development of relationships are important for me in this kind of VN).

For horror genre, a VN could be interesting without needing a good story. Just some plot like "you are lost in a forest, try to escape" and it works because the way it is written + background graphics + sound give you this feeling of fear.

For RPG, mystery and kinetic novel, story is absolutely needed.
Fighting would be meaningless in RPG without stories.
Solving the mystery is less exciting without some story events, in the other case: it is just a solve this enigma game.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#22 Post by papillon »

Personally I tend to get bored without a story to follow, no matter what the genre is. So do a lot of people, especially once they've played a few fluffy romances before. Most romance novels, maligned as they are, still have plots! (Often quite rip-roaring adventures, when they're not tearing bodices.)

This is one reason KiraKira is popular with a lot of slightly jaded hgame fans. It's a school romance game... but the characters are not just going to school and falling in and out of love, they get involved in this wild and crazy idea about a punk band and wander off on a huge road trip.

Sims can get away with a less story because the player is busy juggling numbers instead of being incredibly bored waiting for something to happen. In fact, too much story can potentially be a problem in a sim, because the restrictive nature of the activities and stat-raising can make it really frustrating that you can't choose to go out and pursue the story leads. If I'm supposed to care about solving this mystery, why don't I get to actually do anything about it?