When you play a dating Sim, do you play as 'yourself?'

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: When you play a dating Sim, do you play as 'yourself?'

#16 Post by Hijiri »

I prefer being given a character with their own personality and not a self-insert. Reason being that self-inserts have about as much personality as a brick and we get awkward CG's where the artist goes out of his/her way to hide the person's face. (A pet peeve of mine is the faceless protagonist as well, which usually goes hand-in-hand with those self-inserts.)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#17 Post by dramspringfeald »

Simple answer "Yes" - Long answer "I do, it's more fun"
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Faze
Regular

#18 Post by Faze »

I don't play dating sims, but when playing/reading regular visual novels I tend to just pick whatever sounds funnier. I mean if the protagonist is fighting a God and you give me the option of tap dancing on top of a box of oranges to provoke his opponent, you damn right I'll pick it. In general I prefer to have a set personality for a character I'm playing, I have no interest in being myself in a game.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#19 Post by MiSi »

I usually don't like playing as myself, although the first time I play a game I try to do only things which I would've done in reality. Just to see what would happen to me. After that it's time to get all the endings :D Also I never put in another name if there's the option; I want to play the game with the character that was basically designed for it by its creator.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#20 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Hijiri wrote:I prefer being given a character with their own personality and not a self-insert. Reason being that self-inserts have about as much personality as a brick and we get awkward CG's where the artist goes out of his/her way to hide the person's face. (A pet peeve of mine is the faceless protagonist as well, which usually goes hand-in-hand with those self-inserts.)
Same.

I try to make decisions the same as the character I've been given, and be honest to their personality. I do sometimes get conflicted emotions with my own personal values wanting to assert themselves. I generally play games as if I am the character's conscious, i.e. their own personal Jimmy Cricket, but I never think of myself as them.

So I prefer a well-developed main character with their own personality. The only time this hasn't worked so well is when I HATE the main character. Like in A Drug that Makes You Dream where the MC never had an option to make the choices I would have in real life, and generally just continuously pissed me off by how much of a whining pathetic coward he was. That game has pretty much everything I want out of a visual novel - a good amount of choices, lots of CGs, high production values, good writing, etc. and I can't play any more of it after completing just one path in the game, because I can no longer listen to the main character's thoughts or voice without wanting to murder him. So I guess, if you give an MC development and a personality and face, make sure they are likeable?

Oh, Kouhei Kagami, how I want to savagely beat you with my fists . . . .

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

#21 Post by Midi »

cookiestruck wrote:Play as the character, of course.. if it has personality. But, when it doesn't I prefer to play according which guy I want to get :twisted: Uh.. yeah.. that it, I guess.
Don't well all just do it for that one guy?

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:... I can't play any more of it after completing just one path in the game, because I can no longer listen to the main character's thoughts or voice without wanting to murder him. So I guess, if you give an MC development and a personality and face, make sure they are likeable?

Oh, Kouhei Kagami, how I want to savagely beat you with my fists . . . .
I had a good laugh with this one. XD I think, in the VN I'm working on, all characters are 'like-able' but it depends on what ending you get first. Depending on if you go after which guy, is on which other one will be the arse.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#22 Post by Arowana »

For my first playthrough, I make the choices that I think I personally would. Usually, this means I try to be well-balanced and polite to everybody. For games that require your stats to be skewed in a particular direction, though, I just end up alone. ;_; In which case, I'm all "screw this!" and replay with every choice geared towards my favorite character lol.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#23 Post by wakagana »

First play-through I make choices of how I would personally react if i was in the characters shoes.

But ... it really depends on the game. How can you get into a fantasy/fiction VN if you never get into the mindset that you're playing as a character. If you're playing a generic dating sim in the current time, that's one thing and you're probably encouraged to ignore the fact that your protagonist has a sliver of personality.