Starlight Mission 0

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

Re: Starlight

#16 Post by rocket »

DaFool wrote:Yeah, I like the sound where this is going... looks like our ideas are more compatible than at first glance.
Excellent! I'm really happy to hear that it might work! *does happy dance*

Every writer recruited would certainly get access to all of the current story bible. Beyond that I would want them to be active contributors to shaping the full execution of the story, working with me and each other to develop the best possible execution of the complete story arc. Many TV shows work this way as well, with multiple seasons sketched out at the initial pitch, but with details or even significant changes as the actual episodes are written, characters mature and new ideas present themselves. I know where I want this story to go, but it should be an adventure to get there!

Let me wrap the POC script rewrite (this week). I was planning on recruiting a few Alpha testers (aside from my one friend) to help me adjust the relationship system to get the right balance of endings (there's actually a fatal flaw in the system which I'm not going to fix unless I gt to the pilot, so I'll have to work around it by tweaking values). If you want, you could be in that group if you're willing to play through without colored character graphics.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

I don't think I'll have time this week for beta-testing, but thanks for the offer. Don't rush the rewrite -- I'm really looking forward to the release to determine how to expand the concept.

rocket
Veteran

#18 Post by rocket »

W00t! I can't believe I'm finally here!

Updated status:
Script: 100%
Final Rewrite: 100% (Must check spelling and grammarz...)
Acting: 10% (By acting I mean putting in all the emotion switching "show" commands in the right places of the script)
Code: 95% (4 minor bugs)
Sound Effects: 100%
Foley: 100%
Music: 100%
Scoring: 100%
Character Designs: 100%
Character Events: 50%
Character Sprites: 10%
Backgrounds: 100%

The game contains 1171 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 8980 words.
For an average of 7.7 words per screen.
The game contains 17 menus.

Now I have to catch a plane to Spain... Thoose beaches don't just fill themselves with sunbathers you know!

I'll be looking for a few Alpha testers on a few different platforms when I get back in a week.... Cya!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by monele »

Enjoy the vacation ^^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by DaFool »

Gaaaah~ I really wanted to work on this. But as they say, Real Life happens.

rocket >> I wanted to be a co-writer, but alas... well, it seems we reached some form of wavelength, so if you want, we can still bounce ideas (especially for the religion arc) later on.

In any case, this is a project I will always keep tabs on.

Really looking forward for the first release (enjoy your vacation now that's a word I treasure!)

rocket
Veteran

#21 Post by rocket »

Vacation is over (Boo Hoo!) and it went a little longer than expected (Yay!)

In anycase, I'm back now, and actively looking for 5 folks to help me alpha test a version of Starlight that has full code and script but placeholder graphics!

I need 3 PC folks, plus one Mac and one Linux user. Please PM me!

Right... time to draw the graphics!

rocket
Veteran

#22 Post by rocket »

Fear not gentle reader, for Starlight is making progress. Slowly to be sure, but was not the mightiest fjord carved out in glacier time? Indeed it was... and consider, thoose big 'ol chunks of ice didn't even have anime watching backlogs to deal with!

Where are we?

To recap:
Final Script Rewrite: 100% (Grammar and spelling checked!)
Game Tweaking: 50% (Playtesters gave good feedback, about half of which is in right now)
Acting: 10% (By acting I mean putting in all the emotion switching "show" commands in the right places of the script)
Code: 95% (6 minor bugs)
Sound Effects, Music, Foley, Scoring: 100%
Character Drawings: 90% (24 individual emotions total over 4 characters)
Character Inking: 45%
Character Color: 0%
Event Drawings: 70%(3 events)
Event Inking: 0%
Event Color: 0%
CG Events: 100%
Backgrounds: 100%

Next Priorities are:
- Game tweaking based on playtesters input (to make the hardest ending a little more accessible)
- Inking the character graphics
- Figuring out the fastest way to color the copious amount of sprites I've ended up with...

Total ETA: Targeting to wrap this pre-pilot before the holidays. Seems totally doable even with teh craziness of my new job and moving!

On the side:
- Playing with putting in a menu to make the game features more discoverable for all my non-VN playing friends who I asked to play it.
- Plotting out future episodes. Just came up with one lovely sadistic line this morning for the Goth-Loli-Academy inspired episode:
Violet, "I've brought duct-tape."
Yes, that episode will just *have* to feature swim-suit service... (^_^)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by monele »

Well, I kinda forgot what was behind the "Starlight" name, and just reading the first post again reminded me that I was eager to play this ^_^. So good luck finishing it :D

rocket
Veteran

#24 Post by rocket »

rocket wrote: - Playing with putting in a menu to make the game features more discoverable for all my non-VN playing friends who I asked to play it.
Yes instead of working today I tweaked...

Still that's done now. I have three nice transparent overly buttons with text that only shows up on hover:
Menu - what it sounds like
Save - duh
Auto - toggles auto forward time, remembers your last auto forward setting setting, and hides CtC indicator when in auto forward mode

Right... so back to the game itself.. ^_^;;

rocket
Veteran

#25 Post by rocket »

Quick update...

Here's some inked line art of *some* of the many faces of Jade and a few new expressions for Violet.

Mostly I've been working on the story bible (up to 2K words now), and plotting of the Pilot episode.

Coloring has to wait for the weekend. :-P
Attachments
JadeInk.gif

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

So cute! ^_^... And since I love expressions, yay :D

Ren

#27 Post by Ren »

Oh, how pretty!
I love the expressions too, really really well done^D^

rocket
Veteran

#28 Post by rocket »

Ren wrote:Oh, how pretty!
I love the expressions too, really really well done^D^

(*^_^*)

::throws rocks... shyly::

rocket
Veteran

#29 Post by rocket »

Final Script Rewrite + Game Tweaking: 100% Final got all the feedback into the game. Tweaked the difficulty down slightly, added some more feedback onto the characters states. Not as much as I wanted, but good enough!
Code: 95% (6 minor bugs)
Sound Effects, Music, Foley, Scoring: 100%
Character Drawings: 95% (one character with one expression left)
Character Inking: 95%
Character Color: 1% I did all the scanning and file setup. Man what a pain the first time... I am so doing this differently next time!
Event Drawings: 80% A little more progress here...
Event Inking: 0%
Event Color: 0%
CG Events + Backgrounds: 100%

Next up: color, color, color!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by monele »

My, my! This definitely building up ^__^