How do you take criticism?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: How do you take criticism?

#16 Post by mikey »

yoshibb wrote:All it ever does is demotivate me, though, and I don't know what to do about it. I over think about every aspect of what I'm working on now because I'm scared to death of getting a bad review. Is there something I can do about this? I feel like I'm destined to fail unless I can overcome this hurdle.
We have much improved our audio since, but if you want to hear Sasquatchii and myself talk about what critique / criticism means to us (about 2 hours in total), maybe hearing spoken words will also be helpful.

Part 1: http://www.thebeeskneesstories.com/2015 ... pisode-04/
Part 2: http://www.thebeeskneesstories.com/2015 ... episode-5/

We try to cover all sides, but we do talk about how criticism impacts and had impacted us personally as well.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#17 Post by Tempus »

[What follows is a paraphrasing of a comment I made on /evn/ a few days ago.]

I'd add is that a lot of discussions about criticism, including the one between Sasquatchi and mikey on The Buzz, get muddied by equivocation. Criticism has two different meanings:
  1. A negative comment about something.
  2. A thorough comment on something.
Looking at those two points you can see the problem. The majority of people in a non-academic setting interpret criticism as being the first definition. But a piece of criticism can simply be a critical evaluation—the critical in "critical thinking"; it's thorough and it's thoughtful. Insult or condemnation isn't necessary for a critical evaluation of something.

As developers, it's probably more useful to call insults what they actually are: insults, and adopt a little more unambiguous definition of criticism. The disdain and dismissal of criticism by some is no doubt due to it having the aforementioned dual meanings. An insult is its own thing, in addition to the criticism—not a part of it.

Lastly, a piece of criticism isn't simply for the creator, it's for everyone. When criticism is shared online (WTF "online" isn't a word yet?) everyone has access to it and can decide for themselves what to take from it. Sure, there are times a thorough critique is inappropriate, such as elucidating every single flaw in a beginner's project directly in their release thread, but one would hope people have enough common sense not to do that.

---

Other than that I seem to be mostly in agreement with LateWhiteRabbit and trooper6. As for how I personally deal with it, I just don't care most of the time. In general I seem to be much more critical of my own work than others, and I value what I think much more strongly than what others do. That said, I'm still appreciative toward those who spend time critiquing my work and make sure to thank them when they do.

As has been said already, it's important to distinguish between criticism that acknowledges your intentions and criticism which, for whatever reason, overlooks them. I think trooper6's earlier point is a good one:
trooper6 wrote:Then I think about this rewritten critique [about incorrect perspective]. Now, if I were making some sort of surrealist art where the perspective was supposed to be off...this critique might be evidence that the perspective was not off in a way that made it look deliberate...and maybe I want to go through and fix this. On the other hand, maybe I did want to have more realist perspective...this comment is evidence that I might have failed at that with this game.
Edit: Oh, and here's how I react to someone calling my work "3d shit." Usually I don't spend any more time on those sorts of comments than it takes to glance them over, but the mental image I had from those words was much too amusing (plus the shape was one I'd never had cause to make so I learned something too!)
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#18 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

I study whatever feedback I get closely as an indicator of what I'm doing right and wrong. I'm also hyper-critical of my own work that I might distort my own modest impressions of it, so I take everything with a grain of salt. I like thorough feedback that does a very specific job at pointing to particular moments that I did well on, or hiccuped on. Such feedback is preciously rare, and gives me more to work with than an overhead "it's good!"

I guess I end up studying what other people think of it, really. I get a lot of (perhaps unwarranted) anxiety about my own skills, so feedback is a great way to balance it out and find areas to improve.
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#19 Post by fleet »

Tempus wrote:
Edit: Oh, and here's how I react to someone calling my work "3d shit." Usually I don't spend any more time on those sorts of comments than it takes to glance them over, but the mental image I had from those words was much too amusing (plus the shape was one I'd never had cause to make so I learned something too!)
As I use 3d artwork, that made my day! :lol:
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ChillTaco
Regular

#20 Post by ChillTaco »

I take it like a man. If I fuck up then I fuck up, and sometimes I fuck up and I don't realize that I have fucked up. Criticism and comments are wonderful. I don't get invested emotionally in my stuff, so maybe thats why I feel jack shit when people say "HEY, what your doin'.... Its ass." I take what people say and try to fix the issue, even if I have to scrap and start again.