Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
fan

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo)

#16 Post by fan »

This game looks amazing so far <3 I had no idea you could do this kind of thing with Ren'Py~
You've seriously inspired me to work a lot harder on my own game~!

I'm curious though~ Will it have any supernatural parts to it? I noticed on your DA the profiles for some of the characters mentioned some things like that :3

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#17 Post by azureXtwilight »

COOOOLLL!!!! FINISH IIIITTTT!!!!
Whoa, I'm looking forward for more, too bad there's only two guys at the demo...

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#18 Post by chensterrain »

Egh, sorry for the late reply - but thanks so much for all the replies, guys! Your suggestions are really helping! Progress is going pretty slowly, mainly because I'm never inspired enough to write each event until I've drawn the required character sprites (which don't take too long, luckily) and background images (which take FOREVER, since I hate drawing backgrounds with a passion :x )... But eh. I've managed to implement some new things, though - namely + stat values on the day planner screen, a translucent text box (finally! I had a word wrong in options.rpy, apparently :roll: ), six new events at the gym, sprites for the third male character and fourth female character, and three new CGs. Huzzah!
gekiganwing wrote:1. This story is set in the UK, right? When I saw the word "chav" (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav ), I figured it was...
Heh, technically LRR takes place in a fantasy version of Earth, but yes, for all intents and purposes it's set in the UK. :P The only reason it doesn't specifically take place in the UK is that some of the events wouldn't really fit - I don't know many people who ride a bike to school or actually go to the arcade, fr'instance, and I don't think I can help but put in a karaoke event... :lol: that and the characters I'm using are characters from a pre-existing fantasy story of mine, and I couldn't be bothered changing the setting, heh!
gekiganwing wrote:2. It seems that Lucky Rabbit will span the length of an entire school year. If you're feeling a bit overwhelmed, chensterrain, then you might consider a length of time which is a bit shorter. Less events and variables, is, IMHO, not a big deal.

3. Furthermore, don't worry too much about clubs. That can be added later.

4. And unless you have a roster of male characters already planned, don't be too concerned about how many charas are available to the heroine. Two will be sufficient for a while.

5. Are you recruiting people to help you? If you aren't doing so already, think about it. It's not a bad idea, especially if you feel overwhelmed.

6. One more thought: I built the heroine's stats up, trying to keep them just about even, while at the same time attempting to reduce Stress. I was expecting some sort of event in which a male character would say "I'm starting to notice you're improving..." (Something like this occasionally happened in True Love 95.) But I didn't get anything like that. No one greeted the heroine on weekdays, and when she went out alone on weekends, she didn't meet anyone. So if you think that's a good idea, and it's not too much to ask, then think about adding some events like that.
Thanks! I'm hoping I should be alright with what I have for the moment, though if I do find it all too much, it shouldn't be too hard to slim things down without having to re-code what I've done so far. :) In terms of the school year, there shouldn't actually be too many weeks - the game is only playable during the school term, and ends in early May, with long breaks at Christmas and Easter, so there should be around twentysomething weeks altogether... which seems do-able at the moment, but we'll see, I guess! The male characters are already designed (and with the exception of the fourth boy, their sprites have already been made), so hopefully I won't have any problems there.

I probably should have mentioned this in the first post, since a few people have asked about it, but I'm definitely planning on having events during the week where the heroine meets boys / friends, and where stats actually come into play - since unlike dates, these events won't repeat, they should end up being more important to gameplay than the dates are, so don't worry! :) I've completed a fair few of Marius' events since the demo, and should hopefully be able to start Shuppin's once I'm done procrastinating exam revision... :lol:
Hazuki wrote:I was wondering if the girls you're friends with are also your rivals in love like TokiMemoGS? And do you get rivals moments like Girl's Side? ^^;
Do the guys also respond to you in a certain way if you raise a certain stat more? Or can you just get them to love you by constantly stalking going out with them?

I like the fact that you put the setting in something that you're familiar with...you can never go wrong with that! ^_^

I was wondering...if you plan to add any CGs with the events and add a CG gallery? It's okay if you don't - it'd be nice to have something to remember a certain event by though...

Is Shuppin German? I laughed when I found out that he likes sleeping, and his nickname reminded me of the legend in the first TokiMemoGS game.

Do you mind me asking where you got the music from? Especially the music at the arcade?
While a couple of the girls have a certain boy they like, I'm not really planning on having full-on Tokimeki-style rivals - sounds like it'd get too complicated, to be honest! If I ever complete this, though, I could rework the game to contain rivalries later on, I guess. :D And yup, three of the four boys each have two stats they value higher than others, so either raising those or just taking part in the events that would raise those stats leads to more events with them (the other boy doesn't have any particular preference. :) ).

Hopefully, once I figure out how to customise the CG gallery in the cookbook, I'll be able to implement one! There are a couple of new CGs in the game at the moment (and I've removed that ugly placeholder image of Marius from the demo... *shudder* :| ), and they don't take a huge amount of time to make, so hopefully there'll be a fair few of 'em in the end... :)

Actually, Shuppin's Scottish - now you've got me wondering where this German vibe's coming from! :wink:

Most of the music was downloaded from http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/ (like pretty much every ren'py game, as far as I can tell, heh! :oops: ), including the arcade music. It's a really brilliant site!
fan wrote:I'm curious though~ Will it have any supernatural parts to it? I noticed on your DA the profiles for some of the characters mentioned some things like that :3
Heh, unfortunately not - I kinda liked the idea of a straight-up school sim, so the characters here are younger, non-supernatural versions of my original characters. :) The setting is still semi-fantasy, though - some of the characters speak a fictional language, fr'instance.

I'm really glad people are looking forward to the game, at any rate! I'll try not to disappoint... :wink:
Attachments
screenshot0030.png
screenshot0033.png
screenshot0029.png

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#19 Post by Vatina »

I'm really looking forward to this, the style is growing on me :P Keep it up!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by monele »

Little "+2" numbers make me happy :D

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

chensterrain wrote: The only reason it doesn't specifically take place in the UK is that some of the events wouldn't really fit - I don't know many people who ride a bike to school or actually go to the arcade, fr'instance, and I don't think I can help but put in a karaoke event... :lol:
Depends where you set it, I think.

Both the secondary schools I went to had a lot of people turn up by bike; I rode to the first one myself. I think it generally depends on the catchment of the school; both of these were large schools that served a large area, one was a Village College which had students turning up from anywhere between five metres and fifteen miles away. On the other hand, there's a couple of schools in the city centre that I doubt see many cyclists, either 'cause everyone lives too close to bother or because nobody lives close enough.

Arcades are less likely, but even so - London and a couple of other large cities do have dedicated arcades in the traditional style, as do several seaside towns like Great Yarmouth or Skegness... but also, you frequently see smaller arcades at motorway services, so again it's just a matter of carefully choosing a setting. The size and conspicuity would be the main plausibility problem, I think ;-) And similarly, I know someone who claims to frequent karaoke bars in London...
chensterrain wrote: Actually, Shuppin's Scottish - now you've got me wondering where this German vibe's coming from! :wink:
Coincidentally, I'm told that Scots - or people who know Gaelic - have an easier time learning German than the rest of us. If nothing else, the 'ch' sound in 'loch' and other Scottish words is the same as the 'ch' sound in a lot of German words that most English-speakers have a lot of trouble with. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#22 Post by Nimuell »

I'll be looking forward for this game... Honestly, I adore it.

When I played the demo I sometimes missed some school events or just funny casualities, some conversations, where more then two people chat and such ^^''
Some more VN parts, maybe?

Nothing much to say other than "that's truly wonderful game, I'll be waiting for it... love..la-la-la and the bottle of rum" and other stuff that can some crazy fascinated-amased-impressed-inspired girl say. I really liked your art, it somehow reminded me more comic style, then traditional anime style and that's what brought the game new bringht colors.
And humor parts (even if you think of them as fillers) are the best! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nimuell on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

Hazuki

#23 Post by Hazuki »

Well, you can only do what you can think you can do...
Ah...it'd be cool if you put jealousy events. XD (every girl secretly wants that)
I forgot to ask...how does the player get a job? I noticed that the first time you visit Marcus at the arcade he kind of offers you a position...
So...Shuppin is Scottish...ah...I guess because Shuppin's and his sister's name are kind of uh...hard sounding...that's why I thought they were German (well, I kind of thought that the sister's name was a bit more Russian sounding but I'm not an expert at languages...)
Thanks for the site...it looks interesting. All I've ever played are Japanese doujin games and their music and backgrounds are all the same and I don't exactly know where they get it...

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#24 Post by Midnighticequeen »

I love this game! I can't wait until it comes out!

chensterrain
Veteran

#25 Post by chensterrain »

*Resurrects topic... for no particular reason* :oops:

Progress is still going strong, slowly but surely! Just posting in the hopes that this won't end up as vaporware, hur. Thanks so much for all the responses so far!
Jake wrote:Depends where you set it, I think.

Both the secondary schools I went to had a lot of people turn up by bike; I rode to the first one myself. I think it generally depends on the catchment of the school; both of these were large schools that served a large area, one was a Village College which had students turning up from anywhere between five metres and fifteen miles away. On the other hand, there's a couple of schools in the city centre that I doubt see many cyclists, either 'cause everyone lives too close to bother or because nobody lives close enough.

Arcades are less likely, but even so - London and a couple of other large cities do have dedicated arcades in the traditional style, as do several seaside towns like Great Yarmouth or Skegness... but also, you frequently see smaller arcades at motorway services, so again it's just a matter of carefully choosing a setting. The size and conspicuity would be the main plausibility problem, I think ;-) And similarly, I know someone who claims to frequent karaoke bars in London...
Makes sense - it depends where you live, I guess! While I'd be more than happy to properly set the game in the UK, though, I do have a few doubts - minor things, such as not knowing certain areas too well and being too lazy to do the research / worried that if I did, I'd end up putting too many local things in in the hopes of convincing people I knew what I was talking about, if you know what I mean. I do know North London pretty well (well, stopped living there when I was fairly young, so not too well, to be honest :P ), but I'm kinda averse to setting the game there (it won't matter at all in the finished game, but several of the characters are northerners in my head :) - that and it's kind of the default location for most things set in the UK...), my own city isn't a particularly great location (hurr, Bradford pride), and other cities would require some research... though I was quite partial to Edinburgh for a while. :P That and there are already a few non-realistic things in the game (made-up language / country names) which would have to be taken out...

...*rambles on* :) Thanks very much for the suggestion though, it's got me thinking!
Hazuki wrote:Well, you can only do what you can think you can do...
Ah...it'd be cool if you put jealousy events. XD (every girl secretly wants that)
I forgot to ask...how does the player get a job? I noticed that the first time you visit Marcus at the arcade he kind of offers you a position...
So...Shuppin is Scottish...ah...I guess because Shuppin's and his sister's name are kind of uh...hard sounding...that's why I thought they were German (well, I kind of thought that the sister's name was a bit more Russian sounding but I'm not an expert at languages...)
Thanks for the site...it looks interesting. All I've ever played are Japanese doujin games and their music and backgrounds are all the same and I don't exactly know where they get it...
Heh, well, I'm thinking of putting them in for one of the girls at least, if I can! I'd like for at least one boy to end up with one of the female characters if you don't have your claws in him by the end of the game, but we'll see how it goes. :) I'd love to be able to have jealousy events for most of the other girls too, but I think I'd just end up confusing myself! :oops: That and unlike Tokimeki, you can't really actively choose which girl you want to hang out with, so it would be pretty hard to make amends with her if you accidentally went after her man... :wink:

I haven't managed to code the events yet, but in the finished game, you should be able to apply for a job via the diary on Saturdays once someone tells you about each job opening. There'll be four different jobs in the game, which automatically raise your stats with whoever you're working with and should give you an event with each respective boy every now and again. :)
Nimu-chan wrote:I'll be looking forward for this game... Honestly, I adore it.

When I played the demo I sometimes missed some school events or just funny casualities, some conversations, where more then two people chat and such ^^''
Some more VN parts, maybe?

Nothing much to say other than "that's truly wonderful game, I'll be waiting for it... love..la-la-la and the bottle of rum" and other stuff that can some crazy fascinated-amased-impressed-inspired girl say. I really liked your art, it somehow reminded me more comic style, then traditional anime style and that's what brought the game new bringht colors.
And humor parts (even if you think of them as fillers) are the best! :mrgreen:
Thankyou! (I really love the look of the Thousand Doors project, too - your artwork is wonderful! :D ) There will definitely be events during the week in the final game, too!

Thanks again for all the support! And, uh, have a couple of images to show I still am working, honest? :D (though I really need to focus on the actual scenarios now... writing a million gym-related events is harder than I would've expected, to be honest...!)
Attachments
screenshot0038.png
I really should make some more backgrounds one of these days...
I really should make some more backgrounds one of these days...
Obligatory wangst
Obligatory wangst
I'm not skinny, I'm just thin-boned...
I'm not skinny, I'm just thin-boned...
Red-haired dude, Perpetually Angry girl and, uh, Marius
Red-haired dude, Perpetually Angry girl and, uh, Marius

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by gekiganwing »

Big thanks for the update, Chensterrain. I was hoping this project was alive and well.

chensterrain
Veteran

#27 Post by chensterrain »

Heh, no problem! I'm just glad you're interested! :D

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by monele »

*squees at new material and goes back to waiting eagerly*

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#29 Post by azureXtwilight »

Rivals... huh? That's interesting! I wonder if all guys will have a rival girl.....
And....
*Staring at the red-haired guy in the last pic*
Is that guy chase-able?

chensterrain
Veteran

#30 Post by chensterrain »

azureXtwilight wrote:*Staring at the red-haired guy in the last pic*
Is that guy chase-able?
Yup! Though, uh, that's his only sprite at the moment. :wink: *actually writes some of his scenes someday*