MorningStar

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ficedula
Regular

Re: MorningStar

#181 Post by ficedula »

Possibly, but since it's not written in RenPy I'm not sure how useful they'd be to you?

Jaye
Regular
Projects: A South Park Love Sim & Original Visual Novel Game

#182 Post by Jaye »

ficedula wrote:Possibly, but since it's not written in RenPy I'm not sure how useful they'd be to you?
There is no help on battle systems anywhere - not just for Ren'Py. It's difficult.
Two games in the making!

"Running-with-scissors is my middle name!" -Me

"I'd kiss you but you'd kill me." -Chuck (From Pushing Daisies)

J. Datie
Veteran

#183 Post by J. Datie »

Jaye wrote:There is no help on battle systems anywhere - not just for Ren'Py. It's difficult.
Here's one. It doesn't have any code, so it should apply to most languages. I haven't used it, so I don't know how helpful it'll be, but it couldn't hurt to take a look.

Jake
Support Hero

#184 Post by Jake »

J. Datie wrote: Here's one. It doesn't have any code, so it should apply to most languages. I haven't used it, so I don't know how helpful it'll be, but it couldn't hurt to take a look.
It's really only a structural overview for a particular kind of battle system (the FF 'active time battle' style), so how useful it is really depends on how good you are at programming based on the structure outlined. It's certainly workable, but I'd expect that anyone who could write a battle system with the aid of that article probably could have written one without it, as well.

The only thing I'd really note is that it's probably unnecessary to have a timer running, at least in Ren'Py - and I've certainly not used one in my own battle system for 'active' battles. In any context, you're probably more interested in how much time has passed since the last loop (which you can get from - say - the system clock) rather than forcing something to happen every X milliseconds.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

#185 Post by squark »

Noticed a small overview in the game, and only decided to post it now.
During the event where Sachiko finds Naoko's body in the mausoleum (for lack of a better word) she tells you they already exchanged pendants. Now this leads on somewhere down the line where she asks Hikari if she'd like to swap pendants with her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this mean Sachiko is in effect giving Hikari Naoko's pendant, or did I miss something?
It's always had me confused about how effective it would be.
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

ficedula
Regular

#186 Post by ficedula »

Well, I'm not sure we ever made things totally clear even to ourselves about that, but my opinion would be...
...that the only concrete effect of the pendants was that they teleported you back to the infirmary whenever you were in danger of being seriously harmed, so from that perspective any pendant would do; you could just grab one up whenever you went into a fight and it'd work fine.

Obviously the tradition is that you get issued your own pendant and keep it (until you exchange it with someone) but that really just is a tradition.

So looking at it that way - yes, it's quite possible Sachiko is giving Naoko's pendant to Hikari, but it'll certainly still work. (Alternatively, it's possible that Sachiko got her original pendant back when Naoko was declared unrevivable-at-least-for-the-moment; although the fact that Naoko is still in Sachiko's stasis box argues against that. You would imagine that even with the pendants it's still possible for a Venus to be killed while on duty, and the Academy would probably want the pendants returned to their original owners so when the surviving Venus finds a new partner, it's not too difficult to keep track of which pendant is where.)

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)

#187 Post by squark »

Hmmm, yes. That's a fair point. Although I think that due to the fact that
Naoko is in Sachiko's box
is pretty much definitive that
she is giving her Naoko's pendant
. Thanks for the reply though. That was fast...!
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#188 Post by KashyaCharsi »

How can I turn off the music?

squark
Veteran

#189 Post by squark »

Aside from turning off your speakers, I don't think there IS a way.

Also guys, I don't know if you still check this but I have a question. Once again, it's about Natsuki.

When she's explaining about the HEART pendant, she's for some reason referred to as "Natuski".
I've tried being as pragmatic as possible (studying Geopolitics and Science), spending four out every seven days studying and two in the Cathedral and the other talking to her at the Student Office... or whatever it's called.

She never shows up at the Cathedral. Which kind of makes me wonder if I haven't made the right decisions... or if it's up to chance. Weirder still, when I get back to the dorm afterwards and Sachiko asks where I've been, one of the options is "I was out at the Catherdal with Natsuki-Sensei." Excuse me? WTF? She wasn't there, Hikari. Poor girl, she must be hallucinating.

And I'm STILL getting the black "ERROR" screen just after the welcoming party (which, for some reason always happens after day 10 for me, surely a welcoming party should happen sooner...), no matter what day it falls on.

Regardless of how you guys described Miyuki in the character description extra, I think she's adorable in her own way. I was playing Skyrim earlier when I heard a line that sounded like a harsher version of Miyuki - "You and me, we're the only ones around here that aren't complete fools."

Anyway, congrats again for creating something I come back to time and again!

EDIT: I'd STILL like to know what -san-san means.
Hikari wrote:Thank you, Kasumi-san-san!
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#190 Post by michi 18 »

question: DO you have some details about the game?
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

Sol

#191 Post by Sol »

I really enjoyed this game. However, I’m probably playing a very old version, which has a lot of bugs… especially this, as described by papillon… in 2007! :D :

This isn't exactly a bug, but the auto-typing text seems to freeze when it hits the end of a line instead of wrapping around and waits for me to click to go on. That is, if there's a single line of dialogue that should wrap, it doesn't until I click, so the speaker is 'frozen' in the middle of a sentence. Kind of a pain”.

Totally agree… But some previous links for a supposed updated version don’t work any longer.

Could anyone upload a fixed version, please?

Thanks in advance!

squark
Veteran

#192 Post by squark »

I'm afraid a fixed version by someone else isn't likely to happen, not without Jake and Fice's authorisation. They used their own engine for it, and I don't think they're likely to just give it away.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

Sol

#193 Post by Sol »

I see, squark. Thanks for your reply.

Just for register, the reason for my request is that seems it was posted at least an updated version sometime ago by the game's creators themselves, but, as I said, the correspondent link doesn't work anymore. Since I don't know if my current version is the latest or not, perhaps a re-upload would be providencial.

I've already tried to set the text speed to the fastest setting and verify some other tips too, but the results were poor.

Congratulations to Jake and Fice, anyways. Great job - even after all this time, it still remains a very cool game.

im_lunna
Projects: Translations of (P)lanets

#194 Post by im_lunna »

Hey!

I'd really like to play the game, but it says in the first post, that it's not available for macs :(
Just wanted to know, if there is such a version by now?
(Sorry, i don't want to look through all 13 pages to find out ><)

Heavenbornvip
Regular

#195 Post by Heavenbornvip »

Download link does not work for me