al|together 2006 games

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#31 Post by mikey »

monele >>
I triple-checked, and not here in Austria. There may be areas of the hospital (they would be labeled though), but not generally. My wife calls me from work on her cell, walking around, and her colleagues do the same, so... hmmm. To be honest, I don't even turn the cell's ringer off when I come to pick her up or so. But it's a very crowdy and huge hospital (Europe's 2nd biggest?), millions of corridors, so it's not like there's peace and quiet there, even though the doors are well screened, so I suppose when you close them, the patients couldn't care less whether you phone - and when they're open, there's commotion anyway. Maybe it's just not one of those romantic Japanese hospitals ^_^.
Anyway, Saturday... I wanted to play some more of those games. :P

gp32

#32 Post by gp32 »

I can confirm that here in the United States, in most hospitals cell phone use is restricted to certain specific areas. Use is strictly forbidden on most patient care floors, especially the floors where remote telemetry machinery is in use.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#33 Post by Watercolorheart »

I played Night of the Forget-Me-Nots, Fianca, and the world to reverse. Out of all of them, I think I liked worse to reverse/hallucinate the most.

It was short, but very well-polished and the ending absolutely made sense ...

I got about 60% endings for Forget-Me-Nots trying to explore everything and poke around. I got a good ending, but went back and replayed to get the best one. Also a very good game.

It tries to create a scary atmosphere, but doesn't totally succeed ... it only had me jumping by that sudden burst sound effect when you die, and that only worked once.

Um, I tried to run a couple others but couldn't because .... well, I'm not completely sure why.

---

WTF? I know I just played a fairly good game called Fianca, and now I can't find it on the list ... what gives?
I'm not even the same person anymore

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#34 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Flanca is part of the world to reverse, the other game besides hallucinate
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by DaFool »

Damn (in a good way), Collage was really long.

Amazing for a 7mb game with craploads of sfx. Way to go Kirikiri!

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#36 Post by Watercolorheart »

Oh, yeah ... Fiance was interesting, but left me ultimately unsatisfied. It played like an old-style CYOA crossed with early text adventures, but I derived no meaningful anything from it. Except for one branch with the artist scolding the player for giving money to vagrants and warning him not to.

As for Collage, that is such a long game. I started it, but Tsukihime has sucked my brain away.

In comparison to the flowery and gently written Collage, Tsukihime just packs in more plot and keeps me wanting for more ...

I'm thinking about buying Ever After ... should I?
I'm not even the same person anymore

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#37 Post by F.I.A »

Well, this year's altogether is rather awe-spiring, indeed.

Adagio: Rather short, but I like the descriptive nature of it.

At Summer's End: It has a rather good humor, that it got some chuckle out of me.

Collage: The music and no character portraits do not grow on me, but the narration is nicely done.

Night of the Forget-Me-Nots: Contrast to BCS, I rather find that the narration for this horror VN is nicely done. Coupled with the atmospheric bgms, it does run some chill down the spine. Or I am a scaredy-cat Ayu who quit getting the remaining 4 endings.

Midsummer Haze: If anyone is troubled in how to get the 3 endings, well, try persistence. If that fails, try patience instead.

Mukou: Not the brightest among the one I played currently. Maybe I had no idea which is the beginning and other why/what/who/when in the game.

My Black Cat: After playing Kuzunoha Raidou in PS2, talking cat seems normal to me. But the story is enjoyable.

OMGWTFOTL: The first VN which makes me go "WRRRRYYYYY!". First in comedy rating(With At Summer's End at second), it is filled with randomsities to make you... uh, genuflect.(Seriously, why "Genuflect"? It sounds like something from a science term.)

Panda Samurai: If anything, Dangoro's way of speaking reminds me of Pandaren in Warcraft III. A little childish, but the art is acceptable.

Summer Cicada and Girl: This reminds me of Starship Titanic. If anything, one of the ends has the weirdest impression for me. Well, make that two ends.
Last edited by F.I.A on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Jake
Support Hero

#38 Post by Jake »

F.I.A wrote:(Seriously, why "Genuflect"? It sounds like something from a science term.
It's actually quite an old word meaning - roughly - "to physically demonstrate deference or submission". IIRC it comes from the latin for "to bend one's knee", and is usually used in English in the context of religious worship or royal audience. If you've ever seen anyone being knighted, at the bit where they're kneeling in front of the monarch with their head down, they're genuflecting.

(It took me too long to get 'OTL', though. ;-))
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, Collage is... excellent. Truly, a great story, normal people etc. Actually, the perfect VN for me. I read on and on, enjoying the simplicity and everydayness of it. Fantastic.
mikey wrote:Nevertheless, I enjoyed [SummerCicadas & MidsummerHaze], and given my bias towards summer games, I'd say they were the best two of the new batch of alltogether 06 releases, even though I haven't played the other ones yet.
... and I was just about to revise my position, when I realized that I'm basically not seeing any anime characters, girls...

And then I saw it as a Japanese story, a form of literary work. It made perfect sense, just as Narcissu would have made without its animeish style. I think it was developed with a real-world setting in mind (just as Narcissu), and it sort of shows. And actually, there's no conclusion to the thought other than I don't like to read shortstories, maybe. I'm terrible.

leon101

#40 Post by leon101 »

Huh...I got the path of corpses ending on my first go through, anyone else do this on "Forget-me-nots". I thought choosing to worry about the situation was a good thing, guess not. It's good to have played a very basic visual novel that didn't contain any varibles or anything, I haven't played very many of those lately. Now I just need to get the other 14 endings. :D

I beat Instant Death! Panda Samurai, it was cool while it lasted and pretty funny as well. The ending was weak though, and the quiz was easy (won on my first try without getting one question wrong, not even the one I guessed on...hmmm.). It was original to say the least.
"Look into my eyes and it's easy to see, one and one make two, two and one make three, it was destiny."

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by mikey »

There are more al|together 06 games:
Shooting Star Hill http://at2006.haeleth.net/game.php?id=17
A Dream Of Summer http://at2006.haeleth.net/game.php?id=16

At least one of the downloads is very sizeable - almost 100MB, which is a lot.

But it looks like both games are more or less my cup of tea, so I'm looking forward. :P

Misuzu
Regular

#42 Post by Misuzu »

Theres a few more in the pipeline too =o.
A Dream of Summer is relatively long, taking about probably an hour and a half to two to complete all paths. It's also fully voiced, which is pretty impressive ^^.

But if your talking epicly long free doujin games... I have a title that takes the cake away from all the other at2kx games. Heck, its longer then all of them combined >.>;;.

Will you guys ever see it? I hope so... that is if I can manage to survive editing the obscenely huge script. Its a 2MB script file T___T....

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, it's great to know there's more and more ^_^. Honestly, in the recent years, it's really grown, the English fanmade VN releases (original or translated). A few years ago, we had... none, actually.

As for epic length, I'm a bit divided on the issue. While I do enjoy a "proper-length" work, I don't like TOO much of it. I mean, what can you say with 2MB of script that you can't say with 1MB? And editing it, that's a lot of nerve - especially since eiting is so unrewarding and takes immensely long :( Editing should die or something ^ _^

Misuzu
Regular

#44 Post by Misuzu »

I really wish editing could die too T_T...

But alas, the translator is a native Japanese given him extremely fast translation speed, but unfortunately not so "flowing" English. But I guess thats where the editor steps in ^^;;.

As for what could be said in a 2MB script file... frankly, I don't know either >.>;;. I haven't started on it and probably wont start tackling it till next weekend.
mikey wrote:Hmmm, it's great to know there's more and more ^_^. Honestly, in the recent years, it's really grown, the English fanmade VN releases (original or translated). A few years ago, we had... none, actually.
Depending on how you define few, we had no releases, doujin or commercial released from fans at all =D.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by DaFool »

Don't forget The Noose...