"Fire Emblem: Awakening" and Partial Voice Acting

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Re: Partial Voice Acting? (Voice Effects)

#31 Post by Rosstin2 »

I just sent that topic to my team. That's awesome thoughts y'all had.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: "Fire Emblem: Awakening" and Voice Acting

#32 Post by Taleweaver »

Merged the topics into one.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Re: "Fire Emblem: Awakening" and Voice Acting

#33 Post by Rosstin2 »

Taleweaver wrote:Merged the topics into one.
Thank you, Taleweaver!

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

Re: "Fire Emblem: Awakening" and Partial Voice Acting

#34 Post by Fungii »

I liked it, it was just as good a full voice acting without the high budget. It got the tone of the sentence across without having the voice the full thing.

The only time I had a beef was it was for characters like Libra. I know the whole schtick was that Libra was meant to be a very effeminate man but giving them a straight up female voice was just...weird. But that's a more specific problem than anything.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by wyverngem »

Have you guys ever played any of the Tales of Series? Tales of Eternia is a good example. Back before most games implemented "skipping" full scenes I was at the end boss playing with my friend. The trick to the ending was you just didn't have to beat the guy up, but had to activate at over break limit with exact timing or be doomed to repeat the end scene. We were eight, we saw the same scene over five times and there came a point were we could mimic what the first line of each dialogue would be. Since no matter how many times you hit the "x" button you still hear about the first two words or so. It went something like this "We all, for us BUT this world! I believe."

So I can't really do the partial voice acting because one the words often aren't what you are reading and two my immature eight year old self is still laughing at Tales of Eternia. I guess I'm saying it can add to the game, but it has to be executed well and the actually lines have to be thought out. I mean think of how it sounds skipping through text, just makes me laugh to be honest.
I ❤ Code!

Cith
Regular

#36 Post by Cith »

While I'm a fan of partial voice-acting, I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem's take on it. Either voice a full-line, accurately, or not at all is my position.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#37 Post by Gear »

Either voice a full-line, accurately, or not at all is my position.
Not to be contrary, but if this is your position, how are you a fan of partial voice-acting?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Cith
Regular

#38 Post by Cith »

Gear wrote: Not to be contrary, but if this is your position, how are you a fan of partial voice-acting?
Full voice-acting would be voicing all the lines in their entirety. Partial voice-acting is either voicing some of the lines, or parts of select lines, or a mixture of the two. I'm a fan of voicing full lines, with not every line being voiced. Voicing every line takes away valuable resources which usually can be better spent elsewhere (imo). Voicing part of a line doesn't accurately recreate the scenario in question, so I really don't know why you'd bother having it. You get a couple of words and then nothing. It's just an intrusion. Voicing something different to the text ... why would you do that? This isn't partial voice-acting. You're not voicing the text, so it's just glorified sound effects or something. Put in for ambience I suppose. I'm not opposed to this, but it's not my preference in a game.