6.11 Development

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: 6.11 Development

#31 Post by PyTom »

This isn't going to be in the first OpenGL release. Before we could have something like this, I'd want to have the ability to tell Ren'Py to run in OpenGL-only mode. The first OpenGL-enabled release will be automatically falling back to software rendering if OpenGL works. Once I have confidence that an OpenGL-mode is okay, then I'll think about adding OpenGL-only features.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#32 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote:The first OpenGL-enabled release will be automatically falling back to software rendering if OpenGL works.
I suppose you mean "The first OpenGL-enabled release will be automatically falling back to software rendering if OpenGL doesn't works." ?
that's a good idea :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#33 Post by PyTom »

Been a while since I posted here, so I thought I would bring people up to date.

Development of 6.11 is proceeding, if somewhat slowly due to a lot of work piling up.

OpenGL support is implemented, and I've been testing it by playing games with it as it's released. It's stable enough that I use it as my main version of Ren'Py for playing games, even though there are still a couple of bugs I need to track down before release.

The other big new feature is the new Scene Language, which will be a new way of defining interface screens. I've implemented the basics of the Scene Language parser, and I'm about to start work on improving the ui functions so they fit in with SL a bit better.

A new thing I just added is a few "composite style properties". These provide shortcuts for setting multiple style properties at the same time. For example, I can now write:

Code: Select all

$ ui.textbutton("Hello, World", area=(100, 50, 300, 40), clicked=ui.returns(True))
That will create a textbutton at (100, 50) that is 300 pixels wide and 40 pixels tall.

IceD
Veteran

#34 Post by IceD »

Glad to hear everything is going smoothly, PyTom :)

Take your time, I'll wait as long as you need everything to be done. The scene language seems a perfect addition and may help to improve overall programming and make everything simpler for those, who lack more advanced knowledge.

electric
Regular

#35 Post by electric »

The other big new feature is the new Scene Language, which will be a new way of defining interface screens.
Do you mean it will enable users to customize the menus , kind of like image maps do ? Or is it for in-game interfaces, or both ? Is there a place where you wrote about this before ?
composite style properties
Ha , that's cool, makes it all more compact.

Jake
Support Hero

#36 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:

$ ui.textbutton("Hello, World", area=(100, 50, 300, 40), clicked=ui.returns(True))
That will create a textbutton at (100, 50) that is 300 pixels wide and 40 pixels tall.
Does this mean a button that stretches from (100, 50) to (400, 90), or a button which is positioned at (100, 50) with whatever part of it is specified in its own x/yanchor?

(I ask 'cause the first interpretation is the most obvious one to me from the notation, and if you mean the second one I'd suggest you think very carefully about it...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#37 Post by PyTom »

electric wrote:Do you mean it will enable users to customize the menus , kind of like image maps do ? Or is it for in-game interfaces, or both ?
Both. The goal of the screen system is to provide an enhanced replacement for imagemaps. A big problem with imagemaps is that, right now, there's a strict division as to what goes on what screen. The screen system will fix that.
Jake wrote:Does this mean a button that stretches from (100, 50) to (400, 90), or a button which is positioned at (100, 50) with whatever part of it is specified in its own x/yanchor?
The former. Area implies that xanchor and yanchor are set to 0.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#38 Post by PyTom »

If people could post their imagemaps, or mail them to me at pytom@bishoujo.us, I'd appreciate it. I'm getting close to the point where I'll be testing the screen language, and it will make my life easier if I can just use the imagemaps people have already made. I'll need both the complete set of image files, and the .rpy file with the calls to layout.imagemap_* in it.

Thanks!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#39 Post by PyTom »

I've split a side-discussion on default backgrounds to http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =32&t=7077 , since it isn't on the table for 6.11.

I'd also like to reiterate my call for imagemaps in the post above. I'd like to get imagemap-screens buttoned up in the next few days, and I desperately need a few imagemaps to test on.

Jake
Support Hero

#40 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:I'd also like to reiterate my call for imagemaps in the post above. I'd like to get imagemap-screens buttoned up in the next few days, and I desperately need a few imagemaps to test on.
I suppose you're not interested in dynamically-generated ones? I could probably separate out the way the command menus are done in the battle demo, for example, if it would help? Would that kind of thing be doable using your new stuff anyway, or would it be fixed-positioning only? (I'm guessing no, in the same way ATL isn't directly usable from code?)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#41 Post by PyTom »

Yes, I'm mostly focusing on static imagemaps for now. The new stuff will be usable from python, but the focus is on the new language.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by DaFool »

PyTom wrote:If people could post their imagemaps, or mail them to me at pytom@bishoujo.us, I'd appreciate it. I'm getting close to the point where I'll be testing the screen language, and it will make my life easier if I can just use the imagemaps people have already made. I'll need both the complete set of image files, and the .rpy file with the calls to layout.imagemap_* in it.

Thanks!
I'm behind the curve even with the current way of handling imagemaps. Do you have a syntax guide already for all things Screen Language? I want to start working on the tiles in my game but still await more guidance on the proper way to code things. I'm hoping the ATL way will make sprite movements so fast it will seem almost arcade-like or real-time in execution.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#43 Post by PyTom »

The screen language hasn't been released yet. It will have documentation by the time it's released.

Fundamentally, it will be like:

screen my_imagemap:
    imagemap auto "imagemap_{state}.jpg":
        hotspot (100, 100, 200, 40) clicked Jump("label1")
        hotspot (100, 140, 200, 40) clicked Jump("label2")
        hotspot (100, 180, 200, 40) clicked Jump("label3")

Ixis

#44 Post by Ixis »

Do you still need imagemaps? If it'll help and I can figure out the programming I could make some.

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#45 Post by Chansel »

Oke, I know it's totally off-topic, but I have to say this:
Ixis, awesome picture!!

Now, on topic:
PyTom, you're a genius. :)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim