Magical Diary (Sim/RPG) [Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: Magical Diary (Sim/RPG) [Commercial]

#46 Post by kara24601 »

I was really disappointed with how the "fall in love with a devil" played out. Sigh. Sorry but I was hoping for something more original - (and sweeter) - than what's there.

And the whole "you can't become president even if you try" ....really lame that you could potentially work off your demerits and raise them high enough (or just cheat lol) to try running for president but no matter how much effort and money you put into it, there's not even a chance for you to win! man , that and the "stereotypical demon love/hate or hate/love story" thing......ARG ARG ARG WHY BUTTERFLY WHY?! (...heh....but seriously still....*sigh*)

But, the game is pretty cool overall / otherwise. ( of course I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't of enjoyed playing the demo! )

I know there's already a lot of work and art put into this game but I wish there was even more to it...especially different characters to choose from with possible romantic / friendship endings.

Something weird - whenever I get a certain pic , like the "marriage" graphic it says it got put into the gallery but every time I go to options the gallery button is never lit up...it just sits there, unused...acting as if there's no photos in there or whatever. What's up with that?

Yeah, expansions would be cool or even a sequel or both and hopefully either free this time or at least special deal for those of us who've already bought the game and of course every now and then special deals for those who haven't bought the game yet or anything else and would like both the original and any expansions / sequels...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#47 Post by papillon »

It's not possible to have every single plot and every single character available in one game unless you want me to die of old age before I finish writing it, in which case no one would ever get to play any options. :) Winning the presidential election would require a whole new plotline (consider how much difference being treasurer makes!). The intent was for there to be other games where you could be president but not treasurer, and date different sets of characters. However, since the artist has been having problems, I cannot at this point guarantee sequels. I'm still hopeful, but there's been no progress lately.
but every time I go to options the gallery button is never lit up...it just sits there, unused...acting as if there's no photos in there or whatever. What's up with that?
I'm not sure; I've heard some people say the gallery button doesn't become available until you close the game and restart. Did you try that? If it's still not working Spiky may need to take a look.

Remember, I write games for a living; I can release games for free when someone hands me a free pile of money to pay my bills and my artists! If you want to help put together a 'give hanako a million dollars' collection, feel free. :) But there are always special offers for frequent forum visitors and playtesters.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#48 Post by kara24601 »

lol die of old age ...no I don't want that

*reopens magical diary* Hey, that worked! hmm

thanks for the help with the gallery issue
Last edited by kara24601 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#49 Post by papillon »

Heavy spoilery musing about Damien - do not read unless you've finished his path.
I'm quite amused by the number of people taken in by Damien and completely surprised by the 'twist' - or sulking that they wanted the original, far more cliche (in my opinion) personality of 'oh poor me' that he's putting on to be completely true.

As for why it ends the way it does - Most of the major characters in this setting, as I've said, are inspired not by Harry Potter but by Harry Potter fanfiction. Damien, in this setting, is our Lucius analog, and therefore his romance was designed to try and hit the key notes of Lucius shipping-fic that I could find (discounting all the rape stories, which are popular, because I was not going to put that in the game!). Lucius is a known enemy. He's older and far more experienced. He's wealthy and deeply knowledgeable of the magical world. He seduces the hero/heroine with ulterior motives, but finds himself drawn into his own game and getting more deeply involved than he intended. However, he definitely does not reform and become a good guy at the end. The Lucius fantasy is not about turning a bad guy good (that's a more common Draco fantasy), it's about playing with danger.

Quite obviously, Damien is NOT Lucius, but this is the archetype he's coming from. Since this setting lacks the political maneuvering of the 'Dark Lord' - there's no big bad, there's no army of darkness - Damien's evil motives are far more personal, and the player never even finds out most of the details behind them. But it was important to me that he is not reformed at the end. He may love Mary Sue, but he's still dangerous, and she's walking a dark and risky road.

Also, psychologically, I tried to play up the mental abuse aspects of his relationship with Mary Sue early on, the way he alternately compliments and insults her, the way he tries really hard to make her feel insecure, and then overwhelming her with his 'love' for her. Some people are immediately put off by him. Good! Others fall for it... and after finding out what he was up to, maybe it'll help them avoid guys like that in the future?

Aquane
Veteran

#50 Post by Aquane »

I nearly forgot about this game :) I'm so happy its released! I loved the demo so much and am very happy to see such unique features that I haven't seen in other games. Cannot wait to buy this~

Stargirl18
Regular

#51 Post by Stargirl18 »

Hello Aquane. Can i ask you something?

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Cain0425 »

i wish could have seen more back story on Damien as you play the game it to bad you cant pick the race you want be

Benazir
Regular

#53 Post by Benazir »

papillon wrote:
He may love Mary Sue, but he's still dangerous, and she's walking a dark and risky road.
It is necessary to make "Magical Diary-2", in which Mary Sue becomes a powerful mage and can withstand Demian (to be equal to him). :D

applegirl
Veteran

#54 Post by applegirl »

Umm...it's not buying free, it's piracy/stealing if there's a download link for this game. I think it'd be nice as a fan to send papillon the link so she can rightfully get it taken down.

Anyways:
Great VN that was worth every cent. Amazingly fun and interesting, I hope to enjoy more VNs from you in the future :wink: Personally, I liked the end result for Damon.
Why should the bad guy reform? :lol: I understand why people wanted that, but it was interesting and original to have his story line to turn out that way. Very nice job!
Last edited by applegirl on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#55 Post by Crocosquirrel »

applegirl wrote:Umm...it's not buying free, it's piracy/stealing if there's a download link for this game. I think it'd be nice as a fan to send papillon the link so she can rightfully get it taken down.

Anyways:
Great VN that was worth every cent. Amazingly fun and interesting, I hope to enjoy more VNs from you in the future :wink:
It's already reported spam. Do not feed the trolls.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#56 Post by papillon »

If you haven't been following the news on our forum, here's a note to let you know that the latest FREE CONTENT UPDATE is now available via the patch updater. If you have a registered copy, go to Options, then Updater, and you should be able to upgrade to the new build. No need to buy anything extra!

The new content adds a sub-path for the character of
Big Steve
, with several new scenes and the option to partner him at the final dance. It is not a full romance, but it is fun (and yes,
Mister Hoppity
is involved)

This has actually been out for a while in beta, but my internet problems over the last month slowed down our ability to release it.

If you have any difficulties with the new patch, or difficulties finding the new scenes, since this borders on Secret Character stuff and can be a little tricky to unlock, please visit our forum here: http://hanakoforum.nfshost.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=13 and a team of trained witches stands ready to assist you!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#57 Post by distorsion »

Yay for the update!
I went for Damien first.
Personally, I loved Damien's path as is, the twist is precisely what made it so great. Also, blue skin+long purple hair+demon/bat wings=awesome.
Donald ended up as my fave. I like pranksters.
Ellen's path was ok.
Virginia's was fun (she's my type).
As for the secret character...
...some parts were hilarious, but the age difference really creeped me out at first and I never got over it entirely. Speaking of, he turns young in his kiss CG (wtf)?!
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#58 Post by distorsion »

Oh, btw, I keep earning the bunny trophie (via Big Steve) but it has yet to show up in the trophies room.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#59 Post by Blane Doyle »

OOOOOOOOOOOOh this is why I need to check the Hanako forums more often! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IF I CAN FIND A WAY TO GET THESE GUYS. 83

Magicprincess20
Regular

#60 Post by Magicprincess20 »

How can i update this game for free?