Need artist

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#46 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm for some strange reason accessing the private website from home retrieves what seems to be an older version with fewer images.

Anyway, just sent the town+crowds scene, feel free to fix up the generic people.

Hmmm, what other settings are needed now? Since BCS already drew the classroom and the light shining down in event-CG style, do we still need a school, or the beach?

We still need character art for the dance.

I'll start tweaking the current bgs otherwise.

And will you release this on this forums? By the looks of it so far, it's pretty neat!

denzil
Veteran

#47 Post by denzil »

>> Hmmm for some strange reason accessing the private website from home retrieves what seems to be an older version with fewer images.
>
It was overwritten when they were copying restored data. I fixed it.

Now we are missing only the school background (well I can do it without that background so you don't really make it if you don't want to) and character art for dance and also final character art for promise (the one is preview AFAIK).
Any updates Vatina?

And yes, it will be released here.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#48 Post by Watercolorheart »

I wanted to do a BG of the main character's room with a stormy cloud outside the window + his bookbag near the door. You know, first story, at the beginning.

*shrug*

But I don't know if I have the motivation ... (laugh)
I'm not even the same person anymore

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by DaFool »

There can never be too much graphics (see myself as an example :D )

Anyway, I'm going to do the school building outside establishment view anyway, just for the heck of it.

Also, seeing the direction in the actual beta game helped me see things I needed to tweak:

improve the crowds sprite (give them legs! lol)
improve ruins in the upper right region (for graphical balance), as well as minor architectural changes. It was good to see a character sprite there, it really helped.
improve the road since the grey clouds are not too visible; it actually looks sunny
also going to tweak the dancefloor

By the way, before you delete the old game folder, please copy the DejaVuSans.ttf to the new game folder, otherwise you'll get a traceback error.

P.S. and for a longer project, having the discussion in private email is preferred. But I love posting to this board! :D

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#50 Post by Watercolorheart »

Okay, I played through the demo, pretty nice. Can't wait for music. It was very interesting to me seeing all my art put together. I hadn't seen it all yet compiled into one demo.

Oh, yeah, I caught on to that DejaVuSans.ttf thing because I had the same error message a day before with my Controlled Chaos demo. I knew exactly how to fix it.
Can someone please explain to me the end of the third short story? What happened there? It was really starting to reel me in, and then it's so abrupt. It's just like, our promise won't be able to be kept and threw me back to the titlescreen.

What, is the tree gone or something? Is she dead? I don't get it. I think a visual is in dire need with that scene.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#51 Post by mikey »

I may as well post here, I also liked the "demo". Perhaps some slight cosmetic interface changes would help it, a special textbox or something like that. But it's just a suggestion.

BCS >> as for what's in the spoiler tag... I don't have a definitive answer to that either. ^_^ denzil is going to be busy answering questions once it is released. :twisted:

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by DaFool »

If there aren't anything else, I just sent the last batch of BGs to denzil.

School building is nothing wacky, I think its my most professional BG yet. Also the improved polished images mentioned before have been sent. They're the same filenames as the ones they're meant to replace.

Didn't have much anime backlog this weekend, so now I can get started on the 100 images needed for my project.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Watercolorheart »

DaFool wrote:on the 100 images needed for my project.
O_O!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by DaFool »

100 is surprisingly reachable. I mean, Controlled Chaos already has 50+ images. I don't know how many O3 had, but it seemed a lot. I just knocked my brains out over the weekend devising ways to make production easier, and got down to 48 sprites, 24 BGs, 24 event CGs (char/bg combo), 4 menu graphics, for an exact total of 100 unique pictures. And this is reusing as many as I can. The hardest part is that I haven't drawn any graphics yet that count towards that 100, as I cannot use any of my old works since the artstyle is not uniform.

Put it this way. A visual novel is the most efficient type of anime-related entertainment.

A cheap half-hour anime episode uses 2000 cels.
One volume of manga (readable in around 2 hours) at average 4 panels per page x 175 pages is 700 drawings.
My visual novel which is I guess among the most graphically intensive will be 100 drawings per 40 minutes...it's more efficient than manga!
I project the file size to be 15mb...not only does it save paper, it saves bandwidth too! And some chapters of manga scanned in medium quality take over 20mb!

The visual novel format is indeed the future of cost-effective entertainment and media delivery. It simply cannot be beaten!

yuirei
Regular

#55 Post by yuirei »

very optimistic there :D I want to see results after you have completed your dev/test phase .. specially the graphics

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:Put it this way. A visual novel is the most efficient type of anime-related entertainment.
Agreed, I actually commented on this in my last presentation, saying that there isn't anything that will give you a more complete anime-related experience for less effort than a VN.
DaFool wrote:I don't know how many O3 had, but it seemed a lot.
Well, I don't have the script handy, and I never counted the graphics. But I know that GR had around 150 BGs, including memory variations. O3 had much less, I'd estimate it at around 50. And around the same amount of sprites.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#57 Post by PyTom »

I just took a look at the o3 directory, and there seem to be about 197 images. (This includes backgrounds, event cgs, gallery icons, character art, font, extra pics... everything.)

Well, it doesn't include the icon, and 2 images that were included in the installer. So the windows installer build had 200 images, even. Perhaps slightly more, depending on if you count the 3 different sizes of icon. The mac build also had a higher-quality icon pic.

(In retrospect, there were a few small images that weren't used.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by DaFool »

Didn't realize GR had so many backgrounds...I admit the B&W simple lineart made many of them seem the same...but surely they could have been made by batch-processing a set of photos using find edges filter?

O3 graphics, I think a few of them were the barebones lineart in the unlockables gallery.

Yeah, but all in all it now seems the target image count I had is right on the average mark.

Changing subjects, about the beta for Colorless Day...is this the most efficient way to do dual language release? Its just a short 'game', but it seems like you have to duplicate code. Isn't there a way to do things like the subtitles option on a DVD...i.e. implement the language in the Preferences menu, and have language change on-the-fly the next time you exit the Preferences menu?

denzil
Veteran

#59 Post by denzil »

>> Okay, I played through the demo, pretty nice. Can't wait for music.
>
Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't planned this to have music. In other words the whole thing will be probably silent. I can try looking for some music, but I have absolutely no idea what music would fit. Hmmm...
Well if anyone is interested in composing some...
>> Can someone please explain to me the end of the third short story?
>
I didn't wanted to explain in game and I don't want to explain it more than telling you that it's bad end. I probably will just fade to black there.
I also updated the download, there are only minor changes but if you want to look the address is same as the last one.

>>Changing subjects, about the beta for Colorless Day...
>
I don't think it is most efficient way, but there isn't that much duplicate code. Making it the way you suggest would actually need more coding because most of the code that isn't shared is generated by python script from text files.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:Changing subjects, about the beta for Colorless Day...is this the most efficient way to do dual language release? Its just a short 'game', but it seems like you have to duplicate code. Isn't there a way to do things like the subtitles option on a DVD...i.e. implement the language in the Preferences menu, and have language change on-the-fly the next time you exit the Preferences menu?
I don't know whether it's a part of the problem, but I think that I've split or joined some lines from the original version when translating. So the English version might have more lines than the Czech. Or the 45th line in Czech isn't necessarily the same line as the 45th English line. Just FYI.